If you could change/update/renovate a few things at Camden Yards...what would you do?

DrLev

Somewhere, somehow, put up a Brooks Robinson monument. There's no size requirement, per se, but something in that vein would be very nice. Same goes for #8, #33, #4, and #22.

Agreed with other posters about the TVs (flat screens ftw) and playing the radio broadcasts where it's not practical to see the tv broadcast (which assumes you can see what's going on in the first place!). Hit It Here should also return, and the birds atop the scoreboard should find a comfortable, permanent roost elsewhere in favor of newer ones.

Also agreed on the sale of Boh. The more, the better. :new_beer::beerchug1:

And, why not a standard/regular singer of the national anthem? The Cubs have a wonderful person in Wayne Messmer--surely we could find such a talent, too.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

With the DTV switch over happening soon, is it even for sure that the old TV's in the concourses will work anymore? I'm pretty sure they've been there since the stadium opened. Please don't tell me they're going to buy converter boxes for every one of them!

I'm pretty sure the space constraints placed on the ballpark prevented them from doing this without lowering the seating capacity substantially or making the upper deck really high up from the field. I recall hearing/reading that they did in fact look into having an open concourse but eventually decided against it in the interests of space and a unified design.

Open concourses necessitate really long seating sections in the lower deck to maintain capacity.In today's climate of not using much cantilevering, that pushes the upper deck really far back from the field. Frankly, I think split upper decks look atrocious as they completely break up what ought to be an imposing sea of cheap-seat dwellers.

Some numbers for reference:

The plot of land Citizens Bank Park is on measures ~1000 ft x 850 ft = 850,000 sq ft.

The plot of land Nationals Park sits on (one side is oblique, so measuring from the middle) measures 1100 ft x 850 ft = 935,000 sq ft.

The plot of land OPACY sits on measures ~ 900 ft X 700 ft = 630,000 sq ft.

That's just a hair over 25% less space than Citizens Bank Park and 33% less than Nationals Park.

I agree that open concourses require a bigger footprint, which they didn't have to play with. I think the main reason for the bigger footprint is that you have to build out further around the outside perimeter because that's where all the concessions and rest rooms must go. Open concourses make you move all the stuff from the inside edge of the concourse to the outside edge, thus preventing you from tucking all that stuff under the seats.

As for the seating capacity, I'm not sure how much difference it really makes. I think it mainly requires that everything above the open concourse gets jacked-up by a few feet to create space for the open window from the concourse onto the field. That surely means moving some seats around, but I'm not sure it has much impact on either capacity or distance from the field. Not saying it doesn't, only that I don't see how it does.

It's interesting that two of the most beloved things about Camden Yards are/were advertisements. The "Hit it Here" sign was a $500,000 expenditure by the Maryland Lottery that hasn't existed since 1996 and the "The Sun" ad on the top of the scoreboard that was inexplicably tied to the official scorer with its blinking letters. For a stadium that has a reputation of being retro I find it interesting that two of its most charming idiosyncrasies exist(ed) for the purpose of padding the bottom line.

Shack already mentioned this, but ads on the fences are totally retro. One of the most famous aspects of Ebbetts Field was the "Hit Sign, Win Suit" ad (conveniently located directly behind Carl Erskine--good luck on that one). That's why I always thought the "Hit It Here" sign was so cool.

*Enters tour guide mode*

The area between the fence and the batter's-eye wall in center field is the sod farm, where the grounds crew keeps grass to patch up the field during the season.

The advertising signs all over the ballpark were both a nod to the historical ballparks (as the "cookie-cutter" stadiums tended to avoid ads spread all around the park) and (obviously) a way to bring in some extra income. The "hit it here" sign was paid for by the Maryland Lottery, so I would assume they decided to stop paying for it.

There are already monuments to the six Orioles with retired numbers at the north end of the Warehouse; the six number statues. *Exit tour guide mode* They could use a LOT of work, though.

Somewhere, somehow, put up a Brooks Robinson monument. There's no size requirement, per se, but something in that vein would be very nice. Same goes for #8, #33, #4, and #22.

Eutaw Street in front of the warehouse would be a sweet spot for some monuments.

Archived