Carter Baumler 2024

Frobby

• 1 month later...
4 minutes ago, casadeozo said:

Any idea what happened to him? Looks like he hasn’t appeared in a month

He’s listed as “Active”.   It’s a mystery to me.

54 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I’ve more or less written off Baumler.  Poor kid can’t stay healthy.   

Which is the risk of drafting HS pitchers...you never know how their arm will hold up to the increased rigors of a pro season.  That's why I agree with Elias' apparent hesitancy to spend too many resources (high draft picks or overslot bonuses) on HS pitchers.  However, I do wish he'd pick up more quantity than quality arms lower in the draft or through international signings to increase the chances of developing more pitching prospects.

55 minutes ago, Otter said:

Which is the risk of drafting HS pitchers...you never know how their arm will hold up to the increased rigors of a pro season.  That's why I agree with Elias' apparent hesitancy to spend too many resources (high draft picks or overslot bonuses) on HS pitchers.  However, I do wish he'd pick up more quantity than quality arms lower in the draft or through international signings to increase the chances of developing more pitching prospects.

Or you can draft a college pitcher that got abused by his coaches and ends up with a sore arm.

Or you can draft a toolsy HS position player and he ends up not hitting.

Or you can draft a sure fire can't miss college 1B/DH 1-1 and then end up having to send him down in his third season because somehow he can't hit.

There is risk with all draft picks.

• Upvote 1

38 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Or you can draft a college pitcher that got abused by his coaches and ends up with a sore arm.

Or you can draft a toolsy HS position player and he ends up not hitting.

Or you can draft a sure fire can't miss college 1B/DH 1-1 and then end up having to send him down in his third season because somehow he can't hit.

There is risk with all draft picks.

Sure, but the risk/reward profiles aren’t the same.   So you have to pick your spots.

10 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Sure, but the risk/reward profiles aren’t the same.   So you have to pick your spots.

Sure, I just think folks underestimate the miss rate on non-HS pitchers.

If Torkelson can miss, anyone can miss.

Yes I know his story isn't over.

20 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Sure, I just think folks underestimate the miss rate on non-HS pitchers.

If Torkelson can miss, anyone can miss.

Yes I know his story isn't over.

The miss rate is bad pretty much everywhere.   Sort of like hitting.  

10 hours ago, Otter said:

He was already recovering from TJ when drafted. Good athlete and risk profile, if he hit. Reminds me of a current National former Oriole RP

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/7/2024 at 11:58 AM, casadeozo said:

But back to the question, guessing no one has an explanation why he hasn’t appeared in a month?

I just saw a transaction wherein he was sent down to Delmarva. Maybe it is just roster shuffling or maybe he's close to returning? 

On 6/7/2024 at 11:58 AM, casadeozo said:

But back to the question, guessing no one has an explanation why he hasn’t appeared in a month?

The Orioles are very mum on these situations so it's hard to know. Doesn't seem that Steve Melewski (MASN) is asking many questions more about Orioles minor leaguers health, probably because he wasn't getting many answers. 

I've noticed several pitches and hitters who disappear for a long time and are never listed as on the IL. I think with the rosters being so big, unless a player is truly hurt, they can just keep them working on things and out of games. 

With Baumler's drop in velocity this year (he was mostly 91-92) when I saw him earlier in the year, maybe they are trying a strengthening program with him? 

I've kind of of written him off but will keep an eye on him if he returns to see how he looks. He did bring prospect stuff to the mound when I saw him earlier this year.

He was one of the Covid draft guys and I always got the assumption he was lottery ticket type.  In normal draft he probably doesn’t go til later in draft but with only 5 rounds if you wanted a flyer you had to take them in 1st 5 rounds or they go to college.  The thinking probably was we like this guy a lot and can’t let him go to college or juco and then everyone gets to see him a few years.  It was high risk high reward type pick imo.