Samuel Basallo 2024

Just Regular

43 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Literally, this ball was at his ankles.

https://x.com/TheVergePod/status/1797061663067103705

Can you please post the x links from the team's page, and not from the fanboys? They have blocked me from their page like the children that they are. Also, if you let the post come up, it will imbed! Thanks.

BTW, that was a 102 MPH, off the shoe tops on a breaking ball, oppo home run. That's pretty special.

• Upvote 1

Really need to see him tighten up the BB:K ratio like he did last year.   The strikeout rate is fine but he’s definitely not being selective.   It’s great that he can hit a breaking ball at his ankles for a home run but it’s not a recipe for success.

19 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Really need to see him tighten up the BB:K ratio like he did last year.   The strikeout rate is fine but he’s definitely not being selective.   It’s great that he can hit a breaking ball at his ankles for a home run but it’s not a recipe for success.

I think it can certainly be part of the recipe. 

5 minutes ago, joelala said:

I think it can certainly be part of the recipe. 

He got rewarded for swinging at a ball at his ankles.  He might also be able to hit a fastball up around his neck for a home run.  If he consistently swings at those types of pitches it will be to his detriment over the long run.  

18 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

He got rewarded for swinging at a ball at his ankles.  He might also be able to hit a fastball up around his neck for a home run.  If he consistently swings at those types of pitches it will be to his detriment over the long run.  

True he will need to tighten up his swing decisions. But his seemingly uncanny ability to find the barrel will serve him as well. Both things can be true. 

1 hour ago, RZNJ said:

I generally agree with this and would like to see him being more selective.  However, look at Santander...he often golfs extremely low pitches outside the zone for home runs...maybe Basallo is similar in that respect and is great at hitting low pitches for power.  I certainly haven't seen enough of Basallo to make that call, but just saw a similarity to Santander in this home run.

2 minutes ago, Otter said:

I generally agree with this and would like to see him being more selective.  However, look at Santander...he often golfs extremely low pitches outside the zone for home runs...maybe Basallo is similar in that respect and is great at hitting low pitches for power.  I certainly haven't seen enough of Basallo to make that call, but just saw a similarity to Santander in this home run.

Santander also swings and misses a lot of low pitches and chases ones in the dirt because occasionally he connects on one.  He also sometimes pulls pitches on the outside corner for home runs.   My point is that, over the long run, I’d rather see Basallo take that pitch and force the pitcher to throw him a more hittable pitch.  Santander is good but he’s not the type of hitter I hope Basallo becomes.

I’m sure Juan Soto is capable of hitting some pretty bad balls for home runs but he almost never does.

2 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

Yea and it’s not only that he was recovering from the injury itself, he also didn’t get the ST reps in. I was never worried about him because of that.  That injury and time probably eliminated any chance he had at making the Ml roster late in the season but I would imagine he’s in AAA within a month or so and will get in 200ish PA at that level.

Gut feeling: they will be more patient than that with Basallo.   I think he’ll be more on the Mayo track (492 PA in AA) than the Holliday track (164 PA).   (Basallo at 209 has already passed Holliday in AA time.)  I’ll predict an August promotion. 

5 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Gut feeling: they will be more patient than that with Basallo.   I think he’ll be more on the Mayo track (492 PA in AA) than the Holliday track (164 PA).   (Basallo at 209 has already passed Holliday in AA time.)  I’ll predict an August promotion. 

My guess is he will take off and have a huge month of June.  If I’m right, there is no reason to keep him in AA. 

If he doesn’t have a big month, he will likely stay in AA for a another month or 2.

1 minute ago, Sports Guy said:

My guess is he will take off and have a huge month of June.  If I’m right, there is no reason to keep him in AA. 

If he doesn’t have a big month, he will likely stay in AA for an another month or 2.

Could be.  Mayo had 347 PA in AA last year at 1.026 OPS before they promoted him, and that was after having 145 PA in AA the year before.  That’s why I think they’ll take their time.  Also (and I know you won’t like this) I think they will want to give Handley and the new guy Hunt as much time as possible, to decide if either is a candidate to be the backup C next season until Bassllo is ready.  

In any event, I hope Basallo does go off and gives them a challenging decision to make.  

2 hours ago, RZNJ said:

Posts like this make my head hurt.  What?

It was intended surveying the early June race for #1 prospect next offseason.    Glad Basallo is maybe working himself towards that conversation with the Nationals big guns James Wood and Dylan Crews.

Skenes will graduate and Rays' Junior Caminero's year looking pretty injury-riddled, among other top guys.

2 minutes ago, Just Regular said:

It was intended surveying the early June race for #1 prospect next offseason.    Glad Basallo is maybe working himself towards that conversation with the Nationals big guns James Wood and Dylan Crews.

Skenes will graduate and Rays' Junior Caminero's year looking pretty injury-riddled, among other top guys.

Ha. I got most of it.  What was that part about “the Ryan’s” ?

Just now, RZNJ said:

Ha. I got most of it.  What was that part about “the Ryan’s” ?

Ryan Mountcastle and Ryan O'Hearn being Mike Elias' priority plays over Coby Mayo and Heston Kjerstad (or Samuel Basallo, if you really like him) as the 2024 Orioles try for a World Series.

Just now, Just Regular said:

Ryan Mountcastle and Ryan O'Hearn being Mike Elias' priority plays over Coby Mayo and Heston Kjerstad (or Samuel Basallo, if you really like him) as the 2024 Orioles try for a World Series.

Aha!   Thanks.