Holliday called up!

jcaponio

5 minutes ago, Orioles West said:

Overall, I think Elias is more available and transparent than most. As a Maryland native living in Colorado, and the Rox GMs here are invisible, unavailable and usually hunted to ground by bloodhounds to get a quote about a roster move.

As to the injury stuff, the O’s operate like an NHL team, and I don’t know if that’s good or bad yet overall (definitely bad for media, gamblers, and fans who want answers).

All that said, I see the handling of JH, the signing of Kemp as a couple significant hiccups by an otherwise quality baseball dude who has still brought the O’s back from the dead.

I thought the Rockies had a magic 8 ball in the GM role?

• Haha 2

15 minutes ago, spleen1015 said:

I heard that Holliday was hanging out in the ST clubhouse and in walks in Mike Elias. Jackson was like "Hey! What's up Mike?!", gives him a little dab.

Mike was pissed he didn't call him Mr. Elias. So, sent him down.

Realizing you probably are making this up for fun (even 10 days after April 1), it's still conceivable (edit: sans the dab)! People are funny sometimes, what motivates them or triggers them; the psychological subplot. I'm not trying to support this fictitious speculation, more just the stance of "Who really knows?" and "Why not?"

Edited by now

1 minute ago, Tony-OH said:

We don't know what changed. Did Rubenstein decide he would extend Holliday? Did he have second thoughts about rubbing Holiday wrong? Was he really influenced by Holiday's hot start? 

Buck Britton said he was playing with a "chip on his shoulder" so that tells me he was not real happy with being send down. 

Maybe all of that got back and Elias thinks he can no sign him long term so he might as well bring him up to go for the RoY and get the pick. 

You have a lot of theories here.   I think the Buck Britton bit is a reach.  I saw the clip.    We don’t know a lot of things.   We know Holliday was called up now which ensures him a full year of service time.   Going on the facts we have it this time, it supports the idea that service time isn’t why he was sent down.

IF an extension is signed or other facts come to light it may be shown that he was sent down to manipulate his service time and, for some reason, Elias changed his mind.

13 minutes ago, spleen1015 said:

I heard that Holliday was hanging out in the ST clubhouse and in walks in Mike Elias. Jackson was like "Hey! What's up Mike?!", [b]gives him a little dab.[/b]

Mike was pissed he didn't call him Mr. Elias. So, sent him down.

No wonder Mike sent him down, he was high af

17 minutes ago, interloper said:

So if it wasn't about service time, which it wasn't, what was it about? 

I think they weren't sure yet whether it would be best to try for the extra year or try for the pick. They knew they had the first couple weeks of the season before they had to decide or lose the chance at the pick. So they took those two weeks and the sum of what they saw led them to decide it was worth it to call him up now. 

Just now, Yossarian said:

Assuming Holliday is in the starting lineup tonight - where does he bat in the order?

Seventh.  To go with his uniform.

Probably around there though to decrease some of the pressure.

18 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

You have to admit, if this was about service time, very illogical to call him up days before the cutoff for a team off to a respectable 6-4 start.   That doesn’t make sense.

Yes it does. Assuming they plan to call him up early in the year, there is a big risk of *losing* service time by Holliday finishing in the top two. It's not about gaining the extra year. Yes it is not about gaining service time but service time (and draft picks) are part of the calculation. The proximity to the deadline for the full year of service time/ROY comp pick is no coincidence.

13 minutes ago, interloper said:

I think all of that is a stretch, personally. It's exceedingly unlikely that this has anything to do with an extension or Holliday being angry or the ownership. 

We do have a likelier reason which is that Elias wanted to avoid Holliday starting off his career against a bunch of LHP, and wanting to confirm that he looks fine at 2B for a few more games. 

It doesn't have to be some contrived super-mysterious reason. 

I just gave my opinion. Never made it out to be fact. Feel free to have any opinion that you like on the situation. At this point, I'm just going to be glad he's up here because he makes the team better than it was before. At least offensively for now.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

Yes it does. Assuming they plan to call him up early in the year, there is a big risk of *losing* service time by Holliday finishing in the top two. It's not about gaining the extra year. Yes it is not about gaining service time but service time (and draft picks) are part of the calculation. The proximity to the deadline for the full year of service time/ROY comp pick is no coincidence.

The service time and ROY pick are on opposite sides of the spectrum.  If they are hoping for the ROY pick they are conceding the year of service time.  So by calling him up now they are saying they aren’t trying to manipulate his service time to get another year.  Do you disagree with that?

4 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

I just gave my opinion. Never made it out to be fact. Feel free to have any opinion that you like on the situation. At this point, I'm just going to be glad he's up here because he makes the team better than it was before. At least offensively for now.

On this, we definitely agree!

Just now, RZNJ said:

The service time and ROY pick are on opposite sides of the spectrum.  If they are hoping for the ROY pick they are conceding the year of service time.  So by calling him up now they are saying they aren’t trying to manipulate his service time to get another year.  Do you disagree with that?

Agreed but I think they are conceding it due to increased likelihood he will earn it himself. 

15 minutes ago, Yossarian said:

Assuming Holliday is in the starting lineup tonight - where does he bat in the order?

I pretty much always assume 9th when it comes to these things, but I could see them going higher. But until he's ready to leadoff, I will assume 9th just because the lineup is so stacked it's kind of hard to put him elsewhere. 

SS Gunnar
C Adley
RF Santander
DH O'Hearn
1B Mounty
LF Cowser
CF Mullins
3B Westburg
2B Holliday

That is a funnnn lineup. 

Edited by interloper

4 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

Yea, none of this matters. Frobby pointing out 11 at bats. This one game vs a lefty.

Was this really the justification Elias needed?  What if Holliday comes up and goes 0-10 vs lefties and Ks 5 times. Does he get sent down?

This has a lot of GRod vibes from last year although GRod did look bad in ST.  

I think you have much more reason to game service time with a pitcher than you do a bat, have to take into consideration the possibility of losing them for a year for TJS. lol.