Adley Rutschman 2024

joelala

Some of the wish Adley before Gunnar is guaranteeing 2028 for the whole group.

I hope even if Adley chooses the Corbin Burnes life path nobody gets to we have to trade him to refill the pipeline.     You pursue the 2027 championship.

Four falls to make memories before time pressure gets all to Elias.

2 hours ago, Chaka Garcia said:

Most posters feel the FO can’t afford to pay both Gunnar and Adley long term contracts. They love Adley, but need to pick one to not sign. 

They can afford two IMO.  Three would be a serious stretch.  

1 minute ago, Frobby said:

They can afford two IMO.  Three would be a serious stretch.  

I don’t really understand why it’s asking a lot to sign several of these extensions.

Let’s just say, for arguments sake, they sign Gunnar to the Witt contract plus 2-5%.
They sign Adley to 7/160ish and Holliday to 9/110.

The payroll numbers don’t start getting high for several years on those guys and they won’t be all high at the same time for much more than a few years at most.

I just don’t see why this is an issue when for the majority of those deals, you have them cheap anyway.

1 hour ago, Sports Guy said:

I don’t really understand why it’s asking a lot to sign several of these extensions.

Let’s just say, for arguments sake, they sign Gunnar to the Witt contract plus 2-5%.
They sign Adley to 7/160ish and Holliday to 9/110.

The payroll numbers don’t start getting high for several years on those guys and they won’t be all high at the same time for much more than a few years at most.

I just don’t see why this is an issue when for the majority of those deals, you have them cheap anyway.

I'd be in favor of that plan. You never know what might be possible with the new ownership or whether the players will say yes. Westburg is interesting too.

4 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

It’s not very tough to manipulate your payroll to allow for higher dollar contracts.  

I disagree.   In theory you could have 2 guys making $30 mm, 3 making $20 mm, and 21 guys making the minimum and you’d have a payroll under $140 mm.   In practice it’s difficult to do.  

1 minute ago, Frobby said:

I disagree.   In theory you could have 2 guys making $30 mm, 3 making $20 mm, and 21 guys making the minimum and you’d have a payroll under $140 mm.   In practice it’s difficult to do.  

I disagree. I talked about Atlanta as an example.  83M to middling type guys.  Stop paying those players!!  Don’t spend on your bench. Don’t spend big on the pen. 

If you draft and develop properly, you save money by not doing those things and that allows you to keep more elite players on your payroll. 

5 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

I disagree. I talked about Atlanta as an example.  83M to middling type guys.  Stop paying those players!!  Don’t spend on your bench. Don’t spend big on the pen. 

If you draft and develop properly, you save money by not doing those things and that allows you to keep more elite players on your payroll. 

So what teams are actually doing what you’re proposing?   And how are they performing?   

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Why do teams spend money on middling players?

Are they stupid?

Or maybe it's not that easy to predict who is going to be "middling" from year to year or even worse, multiple years in advance.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Why do teams spend money on middling players?

Are they stupid?

Or maybe it's not that easy to predict who is going to be "middling" from year to year or even worse, multiple years in advance.

Yes they are dumb.  Teams in all sports consistently overspend in middling players, role players, etc…

Im not saying that some of them can’t work out. They do and teams with more payroll flexibility can afford to do it but when you have less margin for error with your payroll, paying 8M for a 780 OPS mediocre defensive player or 5 M for a 3.5 ERA reliever just isn’t a smart way to use your money.

The opposite end of the spectrum is also true. You don’t pay huge long term 9 figure deals to players who are signing that deal in the 28-31 year old range, where you are almost assuredly buying mostly declining years.

11 minutes ago, Frobby said:

So what teams are actually doing what you’re proposing?   And how are they performing?   

I don’t know of any MLb teams that are doing the stars and scrubs type thing.

Recent examples in the NFL would be someone like the Rams a few years ago..when they won the SB.  Chiefs were similar to it last year as well.

23 minutes ago, dystopia said:

Tampa Bay spent 6 mil on Phil Maton, does anyone think that was smart? Dude sucks. 

Yeah that is crazy. He actually had gotten his ERA to a respectable-ish 4.09 after a bad start to the season, but we put him right back in the gutter this series after we tagged him for 7 runs. 

5 hours ago, Chaka Garcia said:

Most posters feel the FO can’t afford to pay both Gunnar and Adley long term contracts. They love Adley, but need to pick one to not sign. 

It could be that Gunnar doesn't really want to sign with the O's but just wants to have the biggest contract in baseball.  Boras already hinted at that by saying that a player like Gunnar adds billions to a franchise value.  Imagine what Boras will be asking for.

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

In practice you end up with several elite guys and not enough average guys to make a good team.  Look at San Diego and they have always had a good farm in recent years and I think have made the playoffs 1 time and are now in the luxury tax with no money to spend for "filler" players.  Filler players aka the 2 WAR players that turn a good team into a great team.