Adley Rutschman 2024

joelala

It is very possible that Rutschman has changed his approach this year a little which has led to a a higher BA, more power (homers), and more runs created through RBIs, while in turn sacrificing a higher OBP from walks.

Of course we would all like to have the best of both worlds. And maybe one day he will get there?

But if this is who he is right now, I will happily take the exchange. 

I know that we live in an age/era where walks are extremely important. But I try to never forget to always remember to keep the main thing the most important thing, which is to score runs (more than your opponent). Unless (in the rare instance) the pitcher walks 3-4 in an inning or throws wild pitches, somebody has to put the ball in play in order to score a run (drive in the man/men on base).

I know it’s not en vogue anymore, but that’s why I still value RBIs. Because that is a special skill in and of itself IMO. To be able to put the ball in play, or even better to be able to get a hit with a men/men on base, or even best to be able to put the ball over the way.

Adley hit 20 bombs and drove in 80 while walking (an elite level) 92 times, however this year he is on pace to hit over 30 bombs, drive in over 110 runs (elite level), hit .300 (elite level) and only walk around 40 times. 

I would rather have the later scenario because of the increase of the runs created. And I believe WAR would agree with me as he is on pace to outdistance last years WAR.

• Upvote 1

One of the amazing small plays of this game came in the 8th inning when Cowser caught a fly out with a runner on 3B and made a throw home that was about 15 feet up the the 1B line.  Adley raced up the line to grab it, but one of the infielders deflected it in the opposite direction of where Adley was running back towards home plate.  Adley somehow stopped his forward momentum and dove backwards on his back and snagged the ball.

By the way, that’s the third time in the last few weeks that Cowser has made a terribly inaccurate throw to home plate.  It’s one thing to make the catcher move a step or two, but these throws have been 15+ feet off target.   

• Upvote 2

16 minutes ago, Frobby said:

One of the amazing small plays of this game came in the 8th inning when Cowser caught a fly out with a runner on 3B and made a throw home that was about 15 feet up the the 1B line.  Adley raced up the line to grab it, but one of the infielders deflected it in the opposite direction of where Adley was running back towards home plate.  Adley somehow stopped his forward momentum and dove backwards on his back and snagged the ball.

By the way, that’s the third time in the last few weeks that Cowser has made a terribly inaccurate throw to home plate.  It’s one thing to make the catcher move a step or two, but these throws have been 15+ feet off target.   

I made a joke in the game thread he should never be allowed to throw the ball past the cutoff man on the outfield grass.

To me, Rutschman's swing has a noticeably more pronounced uppercut to it.  The launch angle of his contact seems higher, too (I haven't verified it,  just my untrained eye).  Past seasons, Rutschman was more of a line drive hitter.   I predicted he would never hit more than 25 HRs with that approach (coupled with his propensity to get into 2 strike counts a lot).  With this new approach,  I can see Adley getting 30, or more, homeruns in a season.

27 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I thought the play of the game was Cowser sprinting to first to not get doubled up on a ground ball to second that was hit over 100 mph.  That was a tailor-made GIDP that Cowser beat out to start a 5-run inning.

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, Yossarian said:

To me, Rutschman's swing has a noticeably more pronounced uppercut to it.  The launch angle of his contact seems higher, too (I haven't verified it,  just my untrained eye). 

You are correct.  I cited the launch angle change a couple of days ago.  12.6% last year, 17.6% this year.  He’s also pulling the ball more. 

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, Bemorewins said:

It is very possible that Rutschman has changed his approach this year a little which has led to a a higher BA, more power (homers), and more runs created through RBIs, while in turn sacrificing a higher OBP from walks.

Of course we would all like to have the best of both worlds. And maybe one day he will get there?

I know that we live in an age/era where walks are extremely important. But I try to never forget to always remember to keep the main thing the most important thing, which is to score runs (more than your opponent). Unless (in the rare instance) the pitcher walks 3-4 in an inning or throws wild pitches, somebody has to put the ball in play in order to score a run (drive in the man/men on base).

I know it’s not en vogue anymore, but that’s why I still value RBIs. Because that is a special skill in and of itself IMO. To be able to put the ball in play, or even better to be able to get a hit with a men/men on base, or even best to be able to put the ball over the way.

Adley hit 20 bombs and drove in 80 while walking (an elite level) 92 times, however this year he is on pace to hit over 30 bombs, drive in over 110 runs (elite level), hit .300 (elite level) and only walk around 40 times. 

I would rather have the later scenario because of the increase of the runs created. And I believe WAR would agree with me as he is on pace to outdistance last years WAR.

the only thing I dont get is when he takes to a knee after he swings....it looks like he's off balance on any big swings...but at least he's producing..boy is he.

39 minutes ago, Frobby said:

You are correct.  I cited the launch angle change a couple of days ago.  12.6% last year, 17.6% this year.  He’s also pulling the ball more. 

I missed that.   Thank you for confirming my suspicion 

5 hours ago, Frobby said:

It was Perez who deflected the ball. He was out of position. Instead of backing up home like he's supposed to, he was between the cutoff man, Mounty, and home. Adley was talking to him right after the play and I hope he was telling him to get his butt where it's supposed to be.

6 hours ago, Frobby said:

That was such a a good play I considered it for the Gameball thread. Truly a special player.

6 hours ago, Roy Firestone said:

the only thing I dont get is when he takes to a knee after he swings....it looks like he's off balance on any big swings...but at least he's producing..boy is he.

Yeah, he’s not getting cheated at all on his swings this year…lol

I think he has hit a couple of home runs swinging like that.

Posted (edited)
22 hours ago, Bemorewins said:

RBIs are context dependent.  If people aren't getting on base in front of him, he can't drive in runs....he's not creating runs when driving in a run, at least in the context of the "runs created" stat.  The formula for runs created is:  [(hits + walks) x (total bases)] divided by (at- bats + walks). It doesn't have anything to do with his ability to get hits with runners on base.  I'd have to guess that he's on pace to drive in 110 this year because he's hitting behind Gunnar and his .359 OBP a lot and the bottom of the order is doing a semi-decent job at times of getting on base for when the top of the lineup rolls over.  

It's like the year Miguel Tejada drove in 150, he was hitting behind Melvin Mora who hit .340 with a .419 OBP.  Tejada didn't forget how to drive in runs next year when he only drove in 98.  

I don't care if he trades some OBP for SLG, that's fine and that's essentially what he's done.   If I had my way, I'd prefer his approach last year because walks keep innings going and help drive up the opposing pitch count...IMO, not making an out is the most valuable thing a batter can do. 

But the WAR is still fine as you noted and he's still having a great year.  At this point we're disagreeing on which wall to hang the Rothko.

Edited by Moose Milligan

8 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

RBIs are context dependent.  If people aren't getting on base in front of him, he can't drive in runs....he's not creating runs when driving in a run, at least in the context of the "runs created" stat.  The formula for runs created is:  [(hits + walks) x (total bases)] divided by (at- bats + walks). It doesn't have anything to do with his ability to get hits with runners on base.  I'd have to guess that he's on pace to drive in 110 this year because he's hitting behind Gunnar and his .359 OBP a lot and the bottom of the order is doing a semi-decent job at times of getting on base for when the top of the lineup rolls over.  

It's like the year Miguel Tejada drove in 150, he was hitting behind Melvin Mora who hit .340 with a .419 OBP.  Tejada didn't forget how to drive in runs next year when he only drove in 98.  

I don't care if he trades some OBP for SLG, that's fine and that's essentially what he's done.   If I had my way, I'd prefer his approach last year because walks keep innings going and help drive up the opposing pitch count...IMO, not making an out is the most valuable thing a batter can do. 

But the WAR is still fine as you noted and he's still having a great year.  At this point we're disagreeing on which wall to hang the Rothko.

The year Tejada had 150 RBI, I believe he had both the most runners on base of any batter, and the highest OPS with runners on base (.970) of any batter.  So, it was a combination of opportunity and performance.  

This year, in 221 PA Adley has batted with 121 runners on base; the average batter with 221 PA would have 132 runners on base.  So, Adley’s opportunities aren’t exceptionally high.  He has a .907 OPS with RISP and .938 with runners on.  So, his RBI total has been more about performance than opportunity.  

• Upvote 1

38 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

I get where you are coming from. I guess I should have clarified. I wasn't referring to "runs created" in terms of how the official stat is measured. I was using it in the context of the player being at bat or on base when someone actually crosses home plate. 

I agree that it requires opportunity. But it also matters what you do with the set of opportunities that you are given. I think that it is more than a function of randomness or luck, but that it is actually a skill.

But overall I agree with your point, especially the bolded.

• Upvote 1

Pitch counts I think the worm has turned.     Game theory tonight, I believe Sigbot doesn't mind if Brayan Bello's pitch count stays low in hopes that Orioles sluggers can get some extra Third Time through the Order looks.

It is cat and mouse with the Corbin Burnes tier starting pitchers lineups will mostly face when it is Best on Best.    I have zero worries Adley isn't enough of a baseball savant to tailor his game when needed - he's testing his capabilities at smashing.

If you get to the 7-game formats, there is extra advantage to grinding...last October we saw Paul Sewald's game kind of get figured out by the end.    The Rangers Bats had everybody (except maybe Kyle Bradish) pretty well figured.