Albert Suarez 2024

Tony-OH

That was a gutsy performance by Suarez tonight.  Tampa didn’t hit him much, but man were they grinding.  I honestly thought they might need to yank Suarez after 3 IP, but he managed to make it through 5, only allowing the one run.  He’s done an amazing job for us.  

• Upvote 4

I'm still trying to figure out how this guy is out of the majors for 7 years and somehow manages to pick up 2 MPH on his fastball, at the age of 34.  But hey, I'm not complaining.

Statcast loves him so far this year.  Statcast thought he was a little unlucky in his last stint in the majors, and unsurprisingly they think he's getting a little lucky now, but even accounting for his good luck he's still in great pitcher territory.

• Upvote 1

I only watched the first two innings.  I didn’t think he’d last much longer because he looked very hittable to that point.  I really question the pitch selection to Rorthsveldt on a 1-2 pitch with a man on third and one out.  He just swung threw a up in the zone fastball, Suarez’ best pitch.  Throw another one same spot, or higher, or in, or even try to bury a changeup low.  Anything to try and get a swing and miss.  But a two seamer (that’s what they called it) down and away?

Credit to Suarez for giving us 5.  I don’t really think he’s a starter but he’s getting it done.  Why can he hit 97 in the first inning but not in relief?   I guess it’s a warmup thing.  The 2023-24 Orioles are very good at “winning ugly”.   They find a way more often than not.

Rotoworld had this observation of him accessing his repertoire.     For me, it dovetails with the idea the club has adjusted his deployment plan with the Means, Wells and length of Kremer's absence news.     Time to juice the orange 1 month to Kremer and 2 months to trade reinforcements.

Rotoworld:

Notably, Suárez showed off a true four-pitch mix for the first time this season throwing his fastball, cutter, changeup, and curveball at least 13% of the time. 

13 minutes ago, Just Regular said:

Rotoworld had this observation of him accessing his repertoire.     For me, it dovetails with the idea the club has adjusted his deployment plan with the Means, Wells and length of Kremer's absence news.     Time to juice the orange 1 month to Kremer and 2 months to trade reinforcements.

Rotoworld:

Notably, Suárez showed off a true four-pitch mix for the first time this season throwing his fastball, cutter, changeup, and curveball at least 13% of the time. 

I’m not sure trading for an impact starter is best use of resources. We still have six starters at the MLB level in Burnes, Bradish, GRod, Irvin, Kremer, and Suarez. Then Povich looks like he deserves a shot if needed. 

Burnes, Bradish, GRod are the obvious playoff trio. 

further injuries would change things, obviously, but at the moment I don’t see a clear need (and would have to pay handsomely for an upgrade). If someone would want Kremer as a part of the package, then maybe it makes sense. 

4 hours ago, BohKnowsBmore said:

I don't get why everyone on here is in love with "potential" instead of "results." I remember last year when Means was rehabbing in the minors this board was saying he'd maybe be a bullpen piece. I was thinking, "Do these people not remember 'John Means day'? The guy knows how to pitch and gets results. I trust him WAY more than Grayson.

Sadly Means got hurt and didn't get a chance to pitch in the playoffs.

When the playoffs roll around in 2024, if Suarez still has a 1.57 ERA and .99 WHIP, I'm giving him the damn ball way before I give to a guy with a 3.53 ERA and 1.33 WHIP who has a career 27 ERA In the post-season.  Don't misunderstand me, Grayson has a TON of potential but he's reminding me a lot of Kevin Gausman at this point in his career - a guy who repeatedly got our hopes up as being a dominant TOR guy but never was for us.

Suarez has a 1.2 WAR this year in 34 innings. Grayson has a 0.5 in 51 innings.

If we had to pick a top 3 for the playoffs tomorrow, I wouldn't put Grayson as the #3.

6 minutes ago, Rojo13 said:

I don't get why everyone on here is in love with "potential" instead of "results." I remember last year when Means was rehabbing in the minors this board was saying he'd maybe be a bullpen piece. I was thinking, "Do these people not remember 'John Means day'? The guy knows how to pitch and gets results. I trust him WAY more than Grayson.

Sadly Means got hurt and didn't get a chance to pitch in the playoffs.

When the playoffs roll around in 2024, if Suarez still has a 1.57 ERA and .99 WHIP, I'm giving him the damn ball way before I give to a guy with a 3.53 ERA and 1.33 WHIP who has a career 27 ERA In the post-season.  Don't misunderstand me, Grayson has a TON of potential but he's reminding me a lot of Kevin Gausman at this point in his career - a guy who repeatedly got our hopes up as being a dominant TOR guy but never was for us.

Suarez has a 1.2 WAR this year in 34 innings. Grayson has a 0.5 in 51 innings.

If we had to pick a top 3 for the playoffs tomorrow, I wouldn't put Grayson as the #3.

Because "potential" tends to be more indicative of future results than a small, recent sample of success.

• Upvote 3

6 hours ago, BohKnowsBmore said:

I’m not sure trading for an impact starter is best use of resources. We still have six starters at the MLB level in Burnes, Bradish, GRod, Irvin, Kremer, and Suarez. Then Povich looks like he deserves a shot if needed. 

further injuries would change things, obviously, but at the moment I don’t see a clear need (and would have to pay handsomely for an upgrade). If someone would want Kremer as a part of the package, then maybe it makes sense. 

In terms of team needs hard throwing bullpen arm ranks first for me over starting pitcher even with Means injury. It's very possible Elias trades for a couple pitchers at the trade deadline with one of them being a starter.

A reliever that can throw upper 90's will go a long way in the second half and playoffs.

Another solid start for Suarez tonight. 

I hope the Kremer/Bradish/Povich situations evolve so that we can move Suarez back to the bullpen, but that's a statement to his credit not his detriment. He's been great and the pen needs his help.

• Upvote 1