What is up with Mac Horvath?

DocJJ

On 4/18/2024 at 10:16 AM, DocJJ said:

2 hits in 29 at-bats?   I feel bad for him- what a rough start to the year.   He hit pretty well last year so I assume he'll heat up at some point but that is a slump and a half...

Since then.  8 for 21 with 3 doubles, 1 homer, 2 walks, 2 strikeouts.

On the year.  .708 OPS.   10 walks, 11 strikeouts,  61 PA.

All while becoming a 3B where he has only 1 error in 8 games.   Trending up!

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, RZNJ said:

Since then.  8 for 21 with 3 doubles, 1 homer, 2 walks, 2 strikeouts.

On the year.  .708 OPS.   10 walks, 11 strikeouts,  61 PA.

All while becoming a 3B where he has only 1 error in 8 games.   Trending up!

Four multiple hits games in his last six.

image.thumb.png.d0c79541e7ad6f1d9baff6c3cab7745a.png

• Upvote 2

• 2 weeks later...

Caught a couple of Mac Horvath AB last night and he crushed it both times.  He pulled a line drive single and then went oppo for a homer.  I noticed something different.  He’s employed a hitch/timing mechanism where he drops his hands down almost to his waist before he starts his swing.  Before he had his hands in the same start position up by his neck and started the swing right from there.  I went back to a college clip where he started from the same hand position and dropped them slightly before swinging but this looks like something completely new.   It looked like it worked last night.  Fingers crossed but he might be on his way.   The swing looked really good like I remember from college and last year.

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, RZNJ said:

Caught a couple of Mac Horvath AB last night and he crushed it both times.  He pulled a line drive single and then went oppo for a homer.  I noticed something different.  He’s employed a hitch/timing mechanism where he drops his hands down almost to his waist before he starts his swing.  Before he had his hands in the same start position up by his neck and started the swing right from there.  I went back to a college clip where he started from the same hand position and dropped them slightly before swinging but this looks like something completely new.   It looked like it worked last night.  Fingers crossed but he might be on his way.   The swing looked really good like I remember from college and last year.

Nice observations. Sometimes we see that when players struggle. Horvath has been hit or miss when I've caught Aberdeen games. I do like the swing though.

• 5 weeks later...
On 5/11/2024 at 6:53 AM, RZNJ said:

Well, Mac changed his load again.  Not sure exactly when but must have been yesterday or within the last week.  A much more convention trigger.  He had a big night so let’s hope this is a real breakout this time.  He went 4-6 with a homer and 3 doubles.  He also lined out to left and hit a towering shallow fly to LF.  He played RF instead of 3B yesterday which does on occasion.  He played 3B his sophomore year at NC and outfield his Junior year.  He was drafted as an outfielder and I thought they’d stick him in RF but right away they tried him at 2B and 3B last year and he’s played mostly 3B this year.  I wonder if there’s any thought to leaving him in RF and just let him concentrate on hitting for now.  

• Upvote 2

Posted (edited)

Followed up last nights big game with a dinger and a couple BBs this afternoon going 2 for 3 with 2R & 2RBI.  OPS well north of 1.000 in the last week + and up to .728 on the year after the slow start. Good to see.  Also had 3 SB for 19 on the season. 

Edited by emmett16
  • Upvote 1

From BA HotSheet today -  Ranking The 20 Hottest MLB Prospects | Hot Sheet (6/11/24) (baseballamerica.com):

16. Mac Horvath, 2B/3B, Orioles

Team: High-A Aberdeen (South Atlantic)

Why He’s Here: .409/.480/.818 (9-for-22), 8 R, 3 2B, 2 HR, 5 RBIs, 3 BB, 4 SO, 6-for-6 SB

The Scoop: Horvath is the type of athletic position player the Orioles can’t resist in the draft. Selected in the second round last year out of North Carolina, he turned in a loud pro debut that has given way to a more muted followup. Horvath hit just .199 in April and May but has gotten back into the swing in June, showing power, speed and discipline while playing second base, third base and right field. (ME)

• Upvote 1

On 6/12/2024 at 1:17 PM, LookitsPuck said:

Over the last month: 

.277/.337/.494 - .831 OPS, 11 SB, 10 XBH, 4 dingers

In June:

.367/.441/.667 - 1.108 OPS, 6 SB, 5 XBH, 2 dingers

Dood is 22 and trending in the right direction.

Is that really his nickname?

• 3 weeks later...