If Holliday Goes Down Who Comes Up

RZNJ

26 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Wow!   Are the OH masses wrong to be disappointed by a 1-27 start with 15 strikeouts?   Again, just asking what people think happens if and when it happens.  You seem to be taking an emotional angle instead of just offering an opinion on what the corresponding move would be.  

Read it again. I didn’t say tje disappointment would be him getting sent down. I said his replacement will disappoint. 

of course a 1-27 is disappointing. 

2 minutes ago, Fiver6565 said:

Read it again. I didn’t say tje disappointment would be him getting sent down. I said his replacement will disappoint. 

of course a 1-27 is disappointing. 

Right, but instead of offering an opinion on who would be called up, you made two posts.  The first complaining about giving up on Holliday too soon, and the second saying people would be disappointed with his replacement.  Two posts, neither of which addressed the question asked.

1 minute ago, Three Run Homer said:

I think Holliday has about another week to start making contact more regularly.   If they sent him down today, I would call up Kjerstad and find some way of getting him at bats.   

I honestly don't think it's even his bat that is going to send him down. If he was playing a high level of 2B, I think you could carry him, but he's not.

26 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Wow!   Are the OH masses wrong to be disappointed by a 1-27 start with 15 strikeouts?   Again, just asking what people think happens if and when it happens.  You seem to be taking an emotional angle instead of just offering an opinion on what the corresponding move would be.  

Thank you. 

His batting hasn't just been bad - it's historically bad. I wish someone could figure out how many batters in major league history have had streaks where they go 1-27 at any point in their careers and strikeout more than 50% of the time. I think if this continues sending him down is smart for 3 reasons.

1) We did it with Grayson last year and it worked out great
2) We'll gain an extra year of control (does anyone think we are getting the draft pick for him being ROY at this point?) 
3) He's costing us games.

In addition to his lack of hitting, he doesn't appear to be any good with the glove. What's his rep in terms of defense in the minors as he appears to be below average on that front?

Everyone ripping on the Tony Kemp signing should apologize after Jackson whiffed that ball behind Mountcastle last night. Urias and Kemp aren't good hitters but they are great with the glove.

Just now, RZNJ said:

I don’t  understand the Kjerstad responses.  There’s no playing time available for him.

He can at least pinch hit once a game for whoever is starting at 2B in place of Holliday.  

A better way to make playing time for Kjerstad is to trade O'Hearn for pitching.   Then call up Norby for Holliday if needed.  

There are very few O's questions right now to which the right answer does not involve making room for Kjerstad.  

8 minutes ago, Malike said:

I honestly don't think it's even his bat that is going to send him down. If he was playing a high level of 2B, I think you could carry him, but he's not.

His defense is acceptable and it will only get better.  It’s 100% his bat if he gets sent down.

2 minutes ago, Three Run Homer said:

He can at least pinch hit once a game for whoever is starting at 2B in place of Holliday.  

A better way to make playing time for Kjerstad is to trade O'Hearn for pitching.   Then call up Norby for Holliday if needed.  

There are very few O's questions right now to which the right answer does not involve making room for Kjerstad.  

No one said anything about trading O’Hearn.  The question was who gets called up if Holliday gets sent down and PH once a game is about the best Kjerstad could hope for with our current roster which makes calling him up in that scenario nonsensical.

Who the hell knows? It'll end up being someone like Maton. I won't let my mind believe it will be someone like Norby.

I don't think he gets sent down. They're going to let him work it out in the majors especially if the team keeps winning.

19 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Right, but instead of offering an opinion on who would be called up, you made two posts.  The first complaining about giving up on Holliday too soon, and the second saying people would be disappointed with his replacement.  Two posts, neither of which addressed the question asked.

I addressed the question asked by saying it would be somebody that would disappoint most people, the Tony Kemp equivalent. The name doesn’t really matter and will probably  change between now and whenever this might happen anyway. A few days ago it might have been Livan Soto or Diego Castillo. A week from now it might my Maton if he’s back from the IL. Point is it won’t be one exciting prospect replacing another. 

Does that sufficiently address your question? Just because you don’t like the answer doesn’t mean I didn’t give one. 

1 hour ago, Rojo13 said:

Thank you. 

His batting hasn't just been bad - it's historically bad. I wish someone could figure out how many batters in major league history have had streaks where they go 1-27 at any point in their careers and strikeout more than 50% of the time. I think if this continues sending him down is smart for 3 reasons.

1) We did it with Grayson last year and it worked out great
2) We'll gain an extra year of control (does anyone think we are getting the draft pick for him being ROY at this point?) 
3) He's costing us games.

In addition to his lack of hitting, he doesn't appear to be any good with the glove. What's his rep in terms of defense in the minors as he appears to be below average on that front?

Everyone ripping on the Tony Kemp signing should apologize after Jackson whiffed that ball behind Mountcastle last night. Urias and Kemp aren't good hitters but they are great with the glove.

All of this is correct....except for apologizing for Kemp. While we are winning it is not as big a deal, but if he still looks the same in a week it has to be done. I mean he has been the definition of "overmatched" thus far.