The World Baseball Classic Thread

PrivateO

• Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply

- There have been Pie-Beltran comparisons (not my cup of tea)

- A few Pie-Soriano comparisons (not my cup of tea)

- Some Corey Patterson comparisons (mostly because of the Cubbie connection)

- Pie-Crawford comparisons (not bad)

I've been falling behind on my Pie threads so maybe this has already been beaten to death, but... has anyone suggested a Pie-Granderson comparison yet?

Watching team USA and looking at Curtis Granderson's body-type, position (outfielder), swing, stance, and his stat make-up (20'ish HR, lots of 2B & 3B, some speed) I can't help but think of Pie :scratchchinhmm:.

Australia and Netherlands beating Mexico and the DR team is great. I am digging the WBC.

The Netherlands game was awesome. How great was it to see Rob Cordemans, who's never pitched in a league higher than the Hoofdklasse, shut down a bunch of Major Leaguers? Performances like that are why I'm always agitating for the O's to scout new places.

I missed the Australia-Mexico game, but it sounds typical of Foro Sol Stadium. It's at 6500 feet or so, right? It's pretty common for somebody on the Mexico City Red Devils to put up a .400-30-110 line.

I don't know if it's because I'm baseball starved or what, but I've completely changed my tune about the WBC. I've really been enjoying these games so far, and am looking forward to the second round. I will not root for any good at bats by Pedroia or Youkilis though.

Small sample size.

Sorry Drungo, couldn't resist ;)

I'm not saying it was meaningful in any sense besides the fact that there are people out there you've never heard of playing baseball in places you'd never think about who can hold their own with major leaguers. If there are random 34-year-old veterans of the Hoofdklasse who can play with big leaguers I don't see how any team can afford to not send scouts to every corner of the globe all the time.

OK, so I am still confused to how this bracket play is working. So Japan and Korea played this morning, and Korea won 1-0. If they would have lost, they would have had 2 losses. Would they have been eliminated?

For Darvish lovers, looks like he walked a batter, gave up a hit, and struck out the side in one inning of work.

OK, so I am still confused to how this bracket play is working. So Japan and Korea played this morning, and Korea won 1-0. If they would have lost, they would have had 2 losses. Would they have been eliminated?

No. Today's game was totally meaningless in terms of who advances, as is the championship game in each bracket. The #1 and #2 teams advance. The only thing the game meant was who would be #1 from PoolA and who would be #2 (#1 from Pool A opens next round with #2 from Pool B, while #2 from Pool A opens next round with #1 from Pool B).

So each group in the 1st round, and in the 2nd round, will have a championship game between two teams that are already guaranteed to advance, and means nothing. The next US game, which Jeremy Guthrie will probably pitch, will mean nothing because we are already advancing and so is our opponent.

I thought this was an odd format to have for the tournament and posted the following before it started:

http://forum.orioleshangout.com/forums/showthread.php?t=77291

Most of the posters disagreed with me. But I still think it's strange.

Netherlands might catch lightning in a bottle again..... They are leading Puerto Rico in San Juan 1-0 in the 7th... If they win, it looks like one of the favs from this group is going home (Puerto Rico or the DR)

Gnats.... Ur too dang fast.......lol

Archived