The World Baseball Classic Thread

PrivateO

• Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It was great that Bruce Chen, the "PanamA-sian," got a high-profile MLB tryout in his start for Panama vs. Puerto Rico. Unfortunately he got knocked around just like he did in his final 0-fer season with the O's. His stuff wasn't bad, but the long ball did him in.

Looks like he won't make it back to the bigs, ever. I hope he stays involved with the game and/or has a great life. I sure got a kick out of seeing him on the mound again.

B'nai tha K

It was great that Bruce Chen, the "PanamA-sian," got a high-profile MLB tryout in his start for Panama vs. Puerto Rico. Unfortunately he got knocked around just like he did in his final 0-fer season with the O's. His stuff wasn't bad, but the long ball did him in.

Looks like he won't make it back to the bigs, ever. I hope he stays involved with the game and/or has a great life. I sure got a kick out of seeing him on the mound again.

B'nai tha K

Well he did sign a MiLB contract with the Royals. I'm sure he'll manage a call-up at some point with them. I mean, they're the Royals.:laughlol:

The Netherlands has definately been the surprising team in this. Panama got smoked by both the DR and Puerto Rico and the Dutch hold them to 2 and 3 runs respectively. If the Dutch had any offense they could have won both games. Now they must face the DR in a rematch on Tuesday. Since Sidney Ponson pitched on Saturday, the Dutch may throw him out there again.

I'm liking it more than I thought it would. Hoping South Africa can beat Mexico here but it doesn't look like it.

Phillips, the South African shortstop made a helluva catch there, and it was well after Mexico started the late inning beat down. I liked the effort of a very, very young South African team.

Adrian Gonzalez saved the day for a team that didn't have a lot of life against Australia or the first five innings of this game.

-Don

The Netherlands has definately been the surprising team in this. Panama got smoked by both the DR and Puerto Rico and the Dutch hold them to 2 and 3 runs respectively. If the Dutch had any offense they could have won both games. Now they must face the DR in a rematch on Tuesday. Since Sidney Ponson pitched on Saturday, the Dutch may throw him out there again.
It's passing strange to root for Ponson, against all experience, but I shall. Hup Oranje!

I've been looking for this thread.

Thanks to my Tivo, I was able to watch every team except Italy.

I'll get to see them tonight against Venezuela. I'm surprised that Canada didn't win that game.

The Netherlands game was great. I believe Puerto Rico left 21 runners on base. And they were down 1-0 in the bottom of the eighth! Those 3 walks did the Netherlands in and I expect the DR to light them up tonight. Of course they were supposed to light them up in the first game. Another great one if you like rooting for the underdog like myself.

I'm also looking forward to the Cuba/Australia game tonight. That is the fastest field I have every seen and they play at around 7,400 feet in altitude.

I missed the Australia-Mexico game, but it sounds typical of Foro Sol Stadium. It's at 6500 feet or so, right? It's pretty common for somebody on the Mexico City Red Devils to put up a .400-30-110 line.

It sits approximately 7400 feet above sea level

Anyone shocked how good Ramon Hernandez looked behind the plate? His throws actually were on the money. He saved several wild pitches. Seems like playing for his country is more important than playing for Baltimore. Also he has a walk season. He has to look good this year or get nothing.

Im rather pissed at him. It seems he WAS just lazy the last two years. He seems he still has something left in the tank. He just didnt care to use the gas for Baltimore.

It's passing strange to root for Ponson, against all experience, but I shall. Hup Oranje!

I see that the Dutch are pitching Tommy Stuifbergen, a Twins prospect, today against the DR. It sounds like they can't pitch Sidney again because this is still round 1 and if a pitcher goes more than 50 pitches, you can't bring him back again.

Archived