O's cut Guthrie's salary=Bush-league

df1570

What a disgrace.

Nothing else to say really.

One step forward, two steps back.

Saving $120,000 is that important to them?

They have a TV network that generates over $100 million in revenue.

They gave a Japanese pitcher $5 million a year and he still has as many career major league strikeouts as you, me and Rachel Ray combined.

And they've cut Jeremy Guthrie's salary by $120,000?

Bush League.

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply
What a disgrace.

They gave a Japanese pitcher $5 million a year and he still has as many career major league strikeouts as you, me and Rachel Ray combined.

Bush League.

They didn't cut his salary. His salary went up, its just that he isn't getting the signing bonus that he recieved from the Indians last year. They are off the hook for that now.

Apparently he wasn't supposed to recieve that 770K he got last year as he got a hefty bonus from the Indians. So the Orioles decided to put him back in line with players that have his service time.

Still it's more penny pinching that really didn't need to occur, but I guess they want to show their younger pitchers that pitching well won't gain you anything as long as you are under Orioles control.

They didn't cut his salary. His salary went up, its just that he isn't getting the signing bonus that he recieved from the Indians last year. They are off the hook for that now.

True

I believe we have him under control until hes 34?

We aren't really under cutting him, he has no say really in the matter (outside of performance). We could have cut it 20% but instead we did a little more than 15% (this is all bonus from the Indians related)?

I know everyone wants to pile on the Orioles, but with the bonus he got last year this is by far NOT bush league or being a jerk to him.

= buisness

Maybe Guts needs a new agent...

It has nothing to do with Guthrie's agent, this wasn't a negotiation. The Orioles can elect to pay Guthrie whatever they want. They are paying him more than they could, so they actually are being more than fair.

To call this "bush-league" is a huge pile of bullcrap.

Another thing to think about is the ramifications of his arbitration numbers down the road. Once you go to arbitration you do consider what the player made the previous season. If you are starting from a lower baseline, you won't have to go as high in the future. This move will probably save us a few million over Guthrie's three arbitration years (2010-2012).

Apparently he wasn't supposed to recieve that 770K he got last year as he got a hefty bonus from the Indians. So the Orioles decided to put him back in line with players that have his service time.

Still it's more penny pinching that really didn't need to occur, but I guess they want to show their younger pitchers that pitching well won't gain you anything as long as you are under Orioles control.

Well, it's a new week. So I guess it's time for you to fill your weekly insanity quota. Your off to a good start.

What a disgrace.

Bush League.

Do you have a clue?

The Orioles had to pay Guthrie the salary he had last year, because it was part of his contract with the Indians, that they inherited.

If you did number crunching, you would realize the Orioles didn't decrease it as much as they could. You can cut a player's salary by 20%, they only cut his salary by 15%.

There's no salary cap to contend with...

The guy is their #1 starter.

Why stick it up his rear end like that? Just keep him at $770,000 and move on.

There's no need to cut his salary...it's $120,000. For once, just do the right thing. Just leave the guy's deal at $770,000. He's done everything they've asked of him and he's the only half-real-thing they have at the major league level right now.

Another example of mistreating one of their prime guys, a la Brian Roberts for the last two years...until they finally stopped yo yo'ing him and signed him for four years.

I know, they could have cut it by 20% but instead they only cut it by 15%.

They're good guys after all.

Archived