O's cut Guthrie's salary=Bush-league

df1570

Wait, i'm noticing a trend... you don't particularly care for Drew, do you? ;)

I kid, I kid.

I think a little street fight would be incredibly amusing between the two of you. I think you can take him, especially given the passion I've seen you exude several times at OPACY.

I don't want to "go at it" with Drew. Frankly I don't care. He doesn't care about me - I don't care about him.

Drew is a fine passionate guy, he just happens to be very wrong here. He is misinterpreting the situation and suffering from extreme confirmation bias.

Drew forgot the first rule of journalism, headlines are made to GRAB ATTENTION. If Drew had bothered to read the article he would have noticed a couple things:

1) Guthrie is still making more than 200K more than the average person with his playing time. And more than Nick Markakis made at the same point in his career

2) The pay increase was a function of his SIGNING BONUS, that would have expired this year no matter WHERE he was pitching. You would not find a team in baseball that would have continued to pay him at the same rate.

3) His base salary (non-bonus salary) will most likely increase and Guthrie will make plenty of money heading into arbitration.

What Drew refuses to get is this is the business of the game. This is how things work. Now, The Orioles could have kept paying him that money, just like Carroll County schools could have kept paying my roommate at the same rate after HIS bonus let out - that would have been great. But that is not how the BUSINESS works.

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply
There's no salary cap to contend with...

The guy is their #1 starter.

Why stick it up his rear end like that? Just keep him at $770,000 and move on.

There's no need to cut his salary...it's $120,000. For once, just do the right thing. Just leave the guy's deal at $770,000. He's done everything they've asked of him and he's the only half-real-thing they have at the major league level right now.

Another example of mistreating one of their prime guys, a la Brian Roberts for the last two years...until they finally stopped yo yo'ing him and signed him for four years.

I know, they could have cut it by 20% but instead they only cut it by 15%.

They're good guys after all.

Yeah, the mistreating Roberts so badly that he signed an extension with the team when he could have played out the string and left.

How about this, the Orioles gave Guthrie a chance to play in the majors when the Indians wouldn't. They are paying him what players with his service time are worth. It isn't cutting a salary as others have stated it is his signing bonus that came off the books.

I don't want to "go at it" with Drew. Frankly I don't care. He doesn't care about me - I don't care about him.

Drew is a fine passionate guy, he just happens to be very wrong here. He is misinterpreting the situation and suffering from extreme confirmation bias.

Drew forgot the first rule of journalism, headlines are made to GRAB ATTENTION. If Drew had bothered to read the article he would have noticed a couple things:

1) Guthrie is still making more than 200K more than the average person with his playing time. And more than Nick Markakis made at the same point in his career

2) The pay increase was a function of his SIGNING BONUS, that would have expired this year no matter WHERE he was pitching. You would not find a team in baseball that would have continued to pay him at the same rate.

3) His base salary (non-bonus salary) will most likely increase and Guthrie will make plenty of money heading into arbitration.

What Drew refuses to get is this is the business of the game. This is how things work. Now, The Orioles could have kept paying him that money, just like Carroll County schools could have kept paying my roommate at the same rate after HIS bonus let out - that would have been great. But that is not how the BUSINESS works.

But...but....it's bush league!!!!!!!

I had a coke tonight. I am a stockholder. I own stock in every major business in the U.S. I just never realized it. Where are my millions?:)

The same place that all those "shares" are... in some sewage somewhere, lol. ;)

I had a coke tonight. I am a stockholder. I own stock in every major business in the U.S. I just never realized it. Where are my millions?:)

Dude, have you seen the stock market? :eek:

Pennies on the dollar, friend. Pennies on the dollar. :D

At the end of the day, there's people who choose to get it and there's those who don't. Taking every Oriole transaction and nitpicking it without doing homework on it is quite frankly the epitome of ignorance. As it's been stated many, many times before -- Guthrie's not in any way getting screwed here.

That being said, I have to say that this is the first 10+ page thread after Tex that I have read every single post. Since the topic creator loves to bash the Orioles, I'll put it into terms he can understand:

Orioles Hangout - 30

DF1570 - 3

I bet he was doing an awful lot of complaining after that night, too?

I'm blown away that someone doesn't see the merit in treating employees right.

Then again, that's not exactly been the O's best trait over the years.

However, I would expect people "in the real world" to get it -- cutting someone's salary who has done a good job for you "just because they can" is not a method towards improving working relationships with your employees.

And the defending of the team continues in...3...2...1

I'm glad to hear that you tore Nestor a new one for canning Casey Willet - since you are all about treating employees right... :rolleyes:

Archived