O's cut Guthrie's salary=Bush-league

df1570

You can't tear down my opinion that the O's are scamming this kid out of $120,000 when they didn't need to do it.

They're charlatans.

Period.

You're wrong. They didn't do anything out of line here. They are probably paying him more than they paid him in base salary last year (once the full details of the deal are public I'll try to confirm this).

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply
You can paint with broad brushes all you want.

The bottom line is this wasn't a bush-league move. Everybody is entitle to their opinions, but that doesn't mean all opinions are correct. Yours on this matter is wrong.

They didn't cut his salary. They just no longer have to pay him any of his signing bonus. If you look at it in terms of the bonus and the base, they are probably actually paying him more this year in base salary. And I'm sure there will be a bunch of incentives in his deal to earn more (he had a bunch of incentives in the deal he signed last year).

It's pointless to try to use reason. He's not interested in reason.

He's interested in getting lots of reaction, that's all.

He doesn't care how he does it, just so he does.

No, it's not really INCORRECT.

Not at all.

They didn't have to cut his salary.

They ELECTED to do that.

It wasn't a mandate.

I'm sure I'll bring it up tomorrow.

After all, it's baseball season.

Gotta get my O's fix in, you know...

I don't think the OH is FULL of apologists but a good portion of the Apology-Train has boarded here tonight.

Its not a pay cut. Quit calling it a pay cut. That's not correct.

He was just overpaid in relation to other players in his service class because of the rich contract he signed as the top draft pick of the Cleveland Indians in 2002.

See? Adam Dunn had a great year last year, and is making less this season - 50% less if I'm not mistaken. And he actually had leverage in negotiations. There's context here that you refuse to see. So I'm done arguing with you about it. Grind away on that axe at your leisure.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/baseball/bal-guthrie0308,0,2188052.story

You can paint with broad brushes all you want.

The bottom line is this wasn't a bush-league move. Everybody is entitle to their opinions, but that doesn't mean all opinions are correct. Yours on this matter is wrong.

They didn't cut his salary. They just no longer have to pay him any of his signing bonus. If you look at it in terms of the bonus and the base, they are probably actually paying him more this year in base salary. And I'm sure there will be a bunch of incentives in his deal to earn more (he had a bunch of incentives in the deal he signed last year).

No, the bottom line is YOU don't think it was a bush league move.

I think it WAS bush-league.

That's it, really.

Nothing more, nothing less.

Just two opinions.

Do you literally not understand what's going on here? Did you see one number, and then a second, smaller, number, and then the name Jeremy Guthrie, and somewhere in there come up with the idea for a thread?

There's no way you understand the situation and hold this position so viciously.

It'd be like if I jumped on the O's for not giving Arrieta a bump in salary because he's a good prospect and the O's have MASN.

Most people who are unhappy with their own lives tend to complain to make themselves feel better. Isn't that right, Drew?

Couldn't tell you about that. I have a great life. Fortunately.

Most people who are unhappy with their own lives tend to complain to make themselves feel better. Isn't that right, Drew?

Come on man. If your gonna disagree with him disagree with him about the topic. Dont make this dramatic and personal.

So you don't understand the irony of being on a message board complaining about the teams credibility and claiming that they are bush league for signing a pitcher to a 700k contract while completely avoiding my questions about Casey.

Casey Willet was fired and has a family. He would love to get 700k.

Just want to say I do not care if Guthrie makes 500K or 700K or whatever K it is.

I also do not care what the DFs the world have to say about it. It does bother me a little that media folks have the power to sway the weak minded. But then again they have to make a living too, so there should be a place in the world for their schtick.

Do you literally not understand what's going on here? Did you see one number, and then a second, smaller, number, and then the name Jeremy Guthrie, and somewhere in there come up with the idea for a thread?

There's no way you understand the situation and hold this position so viciously.

It'd be like if I jumped on the O's for not giving Arrieta a bump in salary because he's a good prospect and the O's have MASN.

The only numbers I think are important are these:

Jeremy Guthrie made $770,000 last year playing for the Orioles.

This year, he'll make $650,000 playing for the Orioles.

The Orioles are responsible for cutting his salary by 15%.

They COULD have cut it by 20%.

Or, they could have done the right thing and not cut it at all and kept him at $770,000.

But, they didn't.

Last year, he made $770,000.

This year, he makes $650,000.

He'll make $120,000 less because the Orioles had the right to cut his salary by $120,000 and they did.

Those are the numbers.

Couldn't tell you about that. I have a great life. Fortunately.

But your unhappy with the way the Orioles treat/mistreat you? So you complain about everything they do that you don't agree with. Whether your right or wrong. And it doesn't matter if anyone agrees with you. It's just your personal vendetta against the Orioles FO.

I'm just completely stunned that the Orioles didn't throw him out on his you-know-what, since he's their only guarantee in the starting rotation.

I mean, other sports-related businesses in Baltimore like to throw their best employees away for no reason, so why shouldn't the Orioles do the same?

Archived