The silence is deafening - Baez

wildcard

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Baez pitches the longest scoreless start of ST to date for 3 2/3 innings. Comes back from near elimination from the starting competition, and there is hardly a word on the hangout.

Are fans indifferent? disappointed? happy?

http://www.masnsports.com/index_blog_roch.html

It is one outing. I don't see the need to blow it out of proportion.

It is good that he made it that long, but it is still just one appearance. Hopefully he can repeat it and make himself a candidate.

I guess it's good for him, and it's always nice to see an O's player succeed, but I know there were some people who were kind of hoping he would pitch his way off the team and not make the opening day roster. I don't like to see anyone fail, but I guess I could be considered one of those people.

If he does make the team and ends up having a wonderful start to the season, it would be nice to trade him at the deadline for a prospect or two (or really anyone for that matter).

Had he been bombed there'd be a two page thread already saying that he needs to go and that a young pitcher needs his spot and ST innings instead.

It's the OH way....remain absolutely silent when a board whipping boy does well...light the torches and grab the pitchforks when he's doing poorly.

Had he been bombed there'd be a two page thread already saying that he needs to go and that a young pitcher needs his spot and ST innings instead.

It's the OH way....remain absolutely silent when a board whipping boy does well...light the torches and grab the pitchforks when he's doing poorly.

Moose, I didn't realize you had read the Gary Williams posts on the Terp Basketball section.

I just really don't care at all about how Baez pitches this spring.

he doesn't deserve a spot in the rotation, and his 3 2/3 scoreless innings aren't going t chaange my mind about that.

I do find it irritating that they are giving Baez so many starts and innings in ST when they could go to guys younger with much more upside. You know, guys that will actually contribute to a contending O's ballclub.

Why couldn't some of Baez's starts go to a guy like David Hernandez. Or why not let Tillman or Arrieta get a start. Maybe Albers should get a chance to start.

I guess I'm bothered because it seems to me Baez is being treated as a top priority, like he is one of the organization's most vaulable pieces when in actuality, he isn't worth a damn.

This does not make any sense. The Baez contract is considered to be one of the worst contracts in baseball. The Orioles are supposed to be getting younger. Baez represents the old regime of stopgap pitching band aids. By your logic, we should we applaud a good outing from him knowing full well a continued good performance will likely mean a younger player will be sent to the minors, not because of performance but rather because we are on the hook for the millions owed to Baez.

I think it's safe to say we know what we are getting from Baez. Just like we knew what we were getting from Trachsel last year. Applauding 3 and 2/3 scoreless innings will not change his stripes.

Seriously.

I was going to come in and simply say, "'Cause no one likes him."

Nothing he does this spring will convince me he should start for us. This has been well documented. I doubt I'd say anything if he got bombed today, either.

Naturally, if he ends up in the rotation I hope he will do well. I'd rather be proven wrong and have my team succeed than vice-versa.

Why couldn't some of Baez's starts go to a guy like David Hernandez.

Because they need a dependable starting pitcher less than one month from now, and David Hernandez is not yet a dependable starting major league pitcher. Because if Baez can handle a rotation spot all year long, it means that Hernandez and everyone else's little favorites can rise naturally through the minor leagues and get a better chance to show that they can become dependable starting major league pitchers.

I just really don't care at all about how Baez pitches this spring.

he doesn't deserve a spot in the rotation, and his 3 2/3 scoreless innings aren't going t chaange my mind about that.

I do find it irritating that they are giving Baez so many starts and innings in ST when they could go to guys younger with much more upside. You know, guys that will actually contribute to a contending O's ballclub.

Why couldn't some of Baez's starts go to a guy like David Hernandez. Or why not let Tillman or Arrieta get a start. Maybe Albers should get a chance to start.

I guess I'm bothered because it seems to me Baez is being treated as a top priority, like he is one of the organization's most vaulable pieces when in actuality, he isn't worth a damn.

Hernandez et al are not being stunted by Baez getting innings. I imagine they will be traveling to the MiL camp in the not too distant future.

I did read about this on here, actually. It wasn't its own thread I don't think, but still.

I mean, you don't see threads like 'Tillman gets two strikeouts' or whatever either, it's usually part of a larger discussion. And I don't think it's ridiculous for Baez to get less scrutiny than, say, Wieters, who probably will get his own thread per ST homerun :D

Moose, I didn't realize you had read the Gary Williams posts on the Terp Basketball section.

I don't.

This does not make any sense. The Baez contract is considered to be one of the worst contracts in baseball. The Orioles are supposed to be getting younger. Baez represents the old regime of stopgap pitching band aids. By your logic, we should we applaud a good outing from him knowing full well a continued good performance will likely mean a younger player will be sent to the minors, not because of performance but rather because we are on the hook for the millions owed to Baez.

I think it's safe to say we know what we are getting from Baez. Just like we knew what we were getting from Trachsel last year. Applauding 3 and 2/3 scoreless innings will not change his stripes.

The Baez contract is bad, no doubt about that.

B-Terp nailed it though...no one will give him kudos because he's not liked and a lot of people here want him off the team.

If he comes north and does well, he'll be met with "hope we can trade him for a prospect" posts.

I'm not saying I expect anything from him either. I'd rather see him off the team as I agree with you...a youngster needs that spot for the teams future.

I was just simply pointing out the way things work around here when a player who isn't liked has a good performance.

Archived