The silence is deafening - Baez

wildcard

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'll give you guys three reasons I don't want to see Baez in the rotation come Opening Day.

1) Hayden Penn

2) David Pauley

3) Rich Hill

One of them is going to be injured for Baez to make the team.

So it doesn't bother anyone that Pauley has allowed 12 hits in 6.1 innings of work? I realize he had that one bad initial start, but he's not proving hard to hit.

I think the sky is green.

And DON'T TELL ME TO LOOK UP!!!!!!!!!!!

It was only green for a year. Then it was switched to blue because it's obvious the sky functions better when colored blue. If green was so wonderful, wouldn't the sky still be green??:D

So it doesn't bother anyone that Pauley has allowed 12 hits in 6.1 innings of work? I realize he had that one bad initial start, but he's not proving hard to hit.

Sure, it bothers me. However, considering he's out of options, I don't wanna let go of Pauley. The same goes for Penn and Hill.

All of these guys have upside. Baez doesn't, IMO.

It's all in the name.;)

It would be interesting to see how this was being discussed if we were just using their numbers and referring to them as player X or player Y not knowing who they were.

I will go on record right now and predict if Baez makes the roster and the rotation as a starter, he will be the first member of the 2009 rotation to lose his job or go on the DL. He will also put up some rather embarassing numbers as far as ERA, hits, and in general horrible, wretched, putrid pitching. Once simply cannot make chicken salad out of chicken manure. That is the Baez situation in a nutshell.

Apparently you've never been to Boston Market...

Seriously, why do you bother?

I'm not expecting a rational answer that stays on point (see below), it's more like I'm putting his absurdity in bold faced type.

I do think Pauley will pitch better than Baez if given a shot. The other two are probably as bad or worse than Baez.

I asked for some insight into your thought processes and analysis, and as reliably as the sun coming up you answer a different question to avoid admitting your opinions are based solely on emotion and gut.

if he was so impressive as a "starter" why was he switched to a reliever?

Maybe for the same reason Dave Righetti and Dennis Eckersley and Joe Page and Firpo Marberry and countless other serviceable starters were converted to relievers: someone thought they'd make better relievers than starters. Not, and I repeat not, that he was a terrible starter and they shoved him in the pen out of desperation.

Sure, it bothers me. However, considering he's out of options, I don't wanna let go of Pauley. The same goes for Penn and Hill.

All of these guys have upside. Baez doesn't, IMO.

So you rather let go of a guy that's owed millions?

So you rather let go of a guy that's owed millions?
The money is already spent. If Hill, Penn, or Pauley are pitching as well or better than Baez is, they obviously should get the nod over him.

Baez' contract is irrelevant. It would be terrible reasoning to let how much he is owed even be a factor, yet alone a deciding factor, in the decision to have him on the team or not. Keep the guys we think are going to be the most valuable to us now and in the future.

And what leads you to believe that the Orioles will be among the, what... 5% of teams that don't have multiple pitchers get hurt in the spring?

Well, Hill is already injured, so yeah... there's that.

I am just saying, there are going to have to be a slew of injuries among the favorites for the rotation and BP for Baez to even be considered. For one, he's not AM's guy, so I am willing to bet that Eaton makes the rotation before Baez does. Then there is Bergesen, who is pitching well and has to be considered right with Baez if it comes to that. And that doesn't even take Albers into account.

Baez pitches the longest scoreless start of ST to date for 3 2/3 innings. Comes back from near elimination from the starting competition, and there is hardly a word on the hangout.

Are fans indifferent? disappointed? happy?

http://www.masnsports.com/index_blog_roch.html

I just think that it is too early to comment on the performance of any pitchers at the moment. Baez had a good outing but as Spring Training goes on and pitchers pitch against more 'concrete' lineups, their true nature/performance will be a better indication of how they may pitch in real game situation.

Archived