Who is "selling" this year?

DirtyBird

5 minutes ago, Rbiggs2525 said:

Skubal has always interested me but I’m sure the cost would be too high-Mayo.

I mean you have to give up something to get something. Skubal is a CY caliber pitcher. 

3 minutes ago, dystopia said:

I mean you have to give up something to get something. Skubal is a CY caliber pitcher. 

Not saying I disagree. It would be hard trade to make due to Skubal injury history.

3 minutes ago, dystopia said:

Yeah. If it were just Mayo for Skubal for 2+ years, you'd have to consider it

27 minutes ago, e16bball said:

Buster Olney article on ESPN today about the Mets and their possible trade chips. Doesn’t treat it as a certainty that they’ll sell, but definitely heading in that direction.

https://www.espn.com/mlb/insider/story/_/id/40231909/new-york-mets-2024-mlb-trade-deadline

Pete Alonso is the big-ticket item.

Luis Severino, Sean Manaea, and Jose Quintana (in that order of value at the moment) looking like mid-rotation or lower SP additions.

JD Martínez likely available as a RH bench bat. 

Starling Marte and Harrison Bader both feature in the highly paid 4th OF department. 

Reed Garrett has been a major pop-up reliever for them, incredible numbers. He’s got a long period of team control.

Jorge Lopez, Adam Ottavino, and Jake Diekman are veteran relievers who have been around forever and pitched for everyone.

For my money, Ottavino probably makes the most sense of those options for this team. Very good, very experienced righty reliever on a short-term deal. Likely wouldn’t cost much, but would likely be among our better bullpen options through the pennant race and the postseason.

Agree that Ottavino would be a good target. He’s somewhat similar to Cano in that he’s a lot better against RHB’s, but he’d still be a good add. I would still hope for an even better reliever (either in addition to him or instead of him if they’re only adding one piece) but he would definitely strengthen the BP.

The Orioles have a lot of good-not-great RP. Another one wouldn’t hurt, but they really only need somebody who will move the needle. Right now it really feels like Hensley is the only likely available RP who fits that description, although I like Harvey a lot too and he just doesn’t have as long a track record.

What happened to David Bednar? He had a solid stretch of that level of dominance but has been horrible this year. If there’s nobody else he could be an interesting buy low if the Pirates want to sell, but he has more years of control so they could easily wait. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, CaptainRedbeard said:

The Orioles have a lot of good-not-great RP. Another one wouldn’t hurt, but they really only need somebody who will move the needle. Right now it really feels like Hensley is the only likely available RP who fits that description, although I like Harvey a lot too and he just doesn’t have as long a track record.

What happened to David Bednar? He had a solid stretch of that level of dominance but has been horrible this year. If there’s nobody else he could be an interesting buy low if the Pirates want to sell, but he has more years of control so they could easily wait. 

I like Bednar a lot. He reminds me of Kimbrel some where his breaking ball has a lot of movement and he loses command of it. It’s a dominant curveball that he hasn’t been commanding this season.

7 minutes ago, CaptainRedbeard said:

Right now it really feels like Hensley is the only likely available RP who fits that description, although I like Harvey a lot too and he just doesn’t have as long a track record.

How long do you need a track record to be? Harvey has been very good back through the 2022 season, with number very comparable to Hensley. And, since he isn't a Closer, the asking price is probably lower.

1 minute ago, DirtyBird said:

How long do you need a track record to be? Harvey has been very good back through the 2022 season, with number very comparable to Hensley. And, since he isn't a Closer, the asking price is probably lower.

Mountcastle dropped a bomb on him, he sucks.

Bednar has been better in May after that horrendous April. 2.38 ERA in 11.1 May innings. Would the Pirates give him up? They seem on the brink of playoff contention with their young talent. That said, they'd probably be better off with younger higher upside controllable guys than Bednar for the next 2 1/2 seasons. He could be a buy low option for us if the market for the other guys becomes ridiculous. 

3 minutes ago, G54377 said:

Bednar has been better in May after that horrendous April. 2.38 ERA in 11.1 May innings. Would the Pirates give him up? They seem on the brink of playoff contention with their young talent. That said, they'd probably be better off with younger higher upside controllable guys than Bednar for the next 2 1/2 seasons. He could be a buy low option for us if the market for the other guys becomes ridiculous. 

They had a lot of there future crap the bed this year. Szuwinski is hitting like Mullins, Reynolds and Cruz are not excelling. They seem to need a second rebuild of young talented fielders.

56 minutes ago, CaptainRedbeard said:

Harvey would be good. Yimi Garcia would be good. Erceg and Adams are good as well. Kittredge and Luis Garcia from LAA are solid but not exciting. Robertson and Yates are good if Texas sells. 

Helsley is going to be the most exciting option but there are still some good pieces out there. I’d probably rather get 2 of the above pitchers (like Harvey/Erceg) than just Helsley if they would require giving up similar value. I like Harvey a lot because he’s been similarly effective against LHB’s and RHB’s, while our two current RH setup guys (Webb and Cano) have some split issues. 

1 hour ago, DirtyBird said:

Yeah I suppose Harvey’s track record is about as long as you can expect from a RP. He’d be the guy I want behind Hensley.

25 minutes ago, LGOrioles said:

Harvey would be good. Yimi Garcia would be good. Erceg and Adams are good as well. Kittredge and Luis Garcia from LAA are solid but not exciting. Robertson and Yates are good if Texas sells. 

Helsley is going to be the most exciting option but there are still some good pieces out there. I’d probably rather get 2 of the above pitchers (like Harvey/Erceg) than just Helsley if they would require giving up similar value. I like Harvey a lot because he’s been similarly effective against LHB’s and RHB’s, while our two current RH setup guys (Webb and Cano) have some split issues. 

Adding to this, Fernando Cruz has a 2.40 xERA and 48% K% if the Reds sell. 

Posted (edited)

Helsley, who will turn 30 this season, would be an excellent pick up.  He is arbitration eligible next season and then a FA in '26.  Naturally, the spelling gets to some posters, but it's one of those names.  What we'd have to give up (if the Cards are indeed open to dealing him) could be tricky.  

Edited by Greg Pappas

21 minutes ago, Greg Pappas said:

Helsley, who will turn 30 this season, would be an excellent pick up.  He is arbitration eligible next season and then a FA in '26.  Naturally, the spelling gets to some posters, but it's one of those names.  What we'd have to give up (if the Cards are indeed open to dealing him) could be tricky.  

I think he could be had for a Kjerstad or Norby + a second tier guy (Beavers/etc). Mayve even slightly less. That vs Mason Miller who'd probably cost Mayo/Basallo, Kjerstad/Norby +.