Who is "selling" this year?

DirtyBird

1 hour ago, G54377 said:

I think he could be had for a Kjerstad or Norby + a second tier guy (Beavers/etc). Mayve even slightly less. That vs Mason Miller who'd probably cost Mayo/Basallo, Kjerstad/Norby +.

Helsley's not worth Kjerstad, IMHO.  Coming into the season Helsley has not has more than 19 saves and is a FA after next season.  Kjerstad has four further years of control.

10 hours ago, Greg Pappas said:

Helsley's not worth Kjerstad, IMHO.  Coming into the season Helsley has not has more than 19 saves and is a FA after next season.  Kjerstad has four further years of control.

Just to clarify, you mean that Kjerstad is under control for four more yesrs than Helsley is, not four more years total.  

I’ll say this: our bullpen needs another top quality reliever.   Not just another body.  

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

Just to clarify, you mean that Kjerstad is under control for four more yesrs than Helsley is, not four more years total.  

I’ll say this: our bullpen needs another top quality reliever.   Not just another body.  

Exactly, four years more than Helsley, six altogether.  I agree that our biggest need is a top reliever.

13 minutes ago, Greg Pappas said:

Exactly, four years more than Helsley, six altogether.  I agree that our biggest need is a top reliever.

I think the biggest need is certainly a top reliever.   I'd say the second biggest need is for a very good reliever.

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, G54377 said:

I think he could be had for a Kjerstad or Norby + a second tier guy (Beavers/etc). Mayve even slightly less. That vs Mason Miller who'd probably cost Mayo/Basallo, Kjerstad/Norby +.

There’s a big difference between Kjerstad and Norby. 

7 hours ago, waroriole said:

There’s a big difference between Kjerstad and Norby. 

True, although to be honest I am all ready to trade both. Particularly Kjerstad. Bat only players just don't do much for me.

Posted (edited)

30-year old Taylor Ward of the Angels would be a very solid pickup, in my opinion.  He plays quality defense in both LF and RF and has a good bat.  While older than Hays, he'd be an upgrade and we'd have control for two years beyond this one.  He's a big part of their lineup, so the natural question is, 'Why would the Angels look to deal him?'  This is a team that has a weak farm system (zero Top 100 Prospects) and a major league team in need of talent.  What they'll do with Trout (32) will be interesting to follow moving forward, but they are in need of a rebuild IMHO.  Trading Ward would be a good start.  Ward would get the bulk of the AB's in LF (or RF when needed).  The cost, as always, would be at issue, and getting a reliever/closer would take priority.  Thoughts?

Edited by Greg Pappas

6 minutes ago, Greg Pappas said:

30-year old Taylor Ward of the Angels would be a very solid pickup, in my opinion.  He plays quality defense in both LF and RF and has a good bat.  While older than Hays, he'd be an upgrade and we'd have control for two years beyong this one.  He's a big part of their lineup, so the natural question is, 'Why would the Angels look to deal him?'  This is a team that has a weak farm system (zero Top 100 Prospects) and a major league team in need of talent.  What they'll do with Trout (32) will be interesting to follow moving forward, but they are in need of a rebuild IMHO.  Trading Ward would be a good start.  Ward would get the bulk of the AB's in LF (or RF when needed).  The cost, as always, would be at issue, and getting a reliever/closer would take priority.  Thoughts?

I think Ward is a solid player, but I don't think he moves the needle enough, he'd just further cloud the OF picture. Perhaps he could be had as the bridge 3rd/4th OF especially if Mullins and Hays continue to dissapoint, but that still seems like kind of a waste. He's never really been healthy for a full season either.

3 minutes ago, G54377 said:

I think Ward is a solid player, but I don't think he moves the needle enough, he'd just further cloud the OF picture. Perhaps he could be had as the bridge 3rd/4th OF especially if Mullins and Hays continue to dissapoint, but that still seems like kind of a waste. He's never really been healthy for a full season either.

He’s played at a 3 WAR pace the last 4 years when healthy. The injury troubles are a concern but he has been a well above average hitter in that time frame (122 wRC+) with even better expected stats. He’s pretty much been a slightly better offensive and defensive version of Santander which I think would be useful for 1. Replacing Santander next year (and likely Hays, maybe Mullins if he doesn’t turn it around) 2. Adding another RH OF to play against LHP’s 3. Insurance if Hays/Mullins keep struggling this year. 

I think the BP is more pressing but I still think Ward would be a valuable addition.

24 minutes ago, LGOrioles said:

He’s played at a 3 WAR pace the last 4 years when healthy. The injury troubles are a concern but he has been a well above average hitter in that time frame (122 wRC+) with even better expected stats. He’s pretty much been a slightly better offensive and defensive version of Santander which I think would be useful for 1. Replacing Santander next year (and likely Hays, maybe Mullins if he doesn’t turn it around) 2. Adding another RH OF to play against LHP’s 3. Insurance if Hays/Mullins keep struggling this year. 

I think the BP is more pressing but I still think Ward would be a valuable addition.

He does crush lefties which is good. He hasn't hit particularly well at Camden Yards in his career though, 599 OPS in 43 at bats.

Actually he hasn't hit well at Fenway or Yankee stadium either. Across all three ballparks he's somewhere in the 580-620 OPS range combined over 120 or so at bats.

I don't have much taste for a guy like Ward - I think Cowser has shown enough CF playability that Stowers, Kjerstad, Cowser and Santander will yield three outfielders even if Mullins and Hays are both toast, which I don't think they are.

Posted (edited)
26 minutes ago, Just Regular said:

I don't have much taste for a guy like Ward - I think Cowser has shown enough CF playability that Stowers, Kjerstad, Cowser and Santander will yield three outfielders even if Mullins and Hays are both toast, which I don't think they are.

Even if that’s true (which it very well could be), there’s still a gaping hole against LHP’s. Specifically in the playoffs or important games down the stretch, do we really want Cowser (81 wRC+) in CF, Kjerstad or Stowers in LF, and then the current version of Hays or any version of McCann at DH? Mayo could easily be called up to DH but they clearly don’t trust Stowers or Kjerstad against LHP’s and Hays is playing his way off the team, which seems to open the door for a RHH OF. Unless they play Mullins (70 wRC+ against LHP’s the last 2 seasons) which they already seem to be getting away from. 

Edited by LGOrioles
  • Upvote 1

If we truly run into a problem with our OF depth (say Mullins or Hays are questionable with an injury or something), I wouldn't mind picking up Kevin Kiermaier from TOR. He's a bit long in the tooth but on an expiring deal and would really sure up our OF defense. You go Cowser LF- Kiermaier CF- Stowers/Hays RF and we really got something. Can't imagine he'd cost a whole lot, even if it's an inter-division trade. He could platoon with Hays and come in as a sub late in games and pinch runner.

1 minute ago, G54377 said:

If we truly run into a problem with our OF depth (say Mullins or Hays are questionable with an injury or something), I wouldn't mind picking up Kevin Kiermaier from TOR. He's a bit long in the tooth but on an expiring deal and would really sure up our OF defense. You go Cowser LF- Kiermaier CF- Stowers/Hays RF and we really got something. Can't imagine he'd cost a whole lot, even if it's an inter-division trade. He could platoon with Hays and come in as a sub late in games and pinch runner.

That .276 OBP will fit right into the O's outfield.