Rowell Moves to Outfield

blakesta

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply
No, Rowell may have just gotten his best chance to develop.

I agree, there is alot less to worry about in the OF then the hot corner. Will allow him to concentrate more on his hitting.

And may I add, just cause he's in the lineup today as an OF, doesn't mean 3 months from now, he won't be back at

3rd base, or even next week.

No, Rowell may have just gotten his best chance to develop.

This is a positive move for the O's. Rowell needs to concentrate on his hitting and he will eventually become to big for 3B anyway.

If playing 3B is slowing his development then moving him to the outfield is the right move.

I expect him to land at 1B when all is over, and his hitting needs to take a major jump before I start to worry about his defense.

I just hope the kid can put up some early numbers. He still very young for high A ball and should not be considered a bust just yet.

This will be interesting to follow.

This move should help him focus more on his hitting, instead of worrying about playing a key position on defense.

People are viewing this as he is playing Markakis's position, I see it as a chance for him to improve his bat, and if he reaches the majors then what is wrong with playing DH, besides that is his huge draw.

I'm not gonna say we need him at 3B, it's clear he isn't a good enough fielder to stay there... but I'll say that I don't really understand why they're sticking him in the outfield over 1B though.

Yeah....that's kind of my thinking. It just seems like a odd...even quirky...move for the O's.

Yeah....that's kind of my thinking. It just seems like a odd...even quirky...move for the O's.

He's been an infielder for most of his life, I'd imagine. If he has to move back to 1st to break in it should be an easy transition. He has much more value as a RF, both in the organization and potentially to another organization.

A good move to me. Should allow him to relax, take pressue off of him, and focus/produce a bit more at the plate. I know it was not, nor should it, took into consideration when moving Rowell to the OF, but having Angle in center reduces a bit of the load for the corner OF's at Frederick. I'd assumed it help makes Rowell's transition a bit smoother than what might occur with just a random filler in center. Angle can cover a lot of groud and has the professionalism and knowledge of the game that can only help Rowell.

My guess is the Os went with the 3B experiment for as long as they thought it could work out. I know several publications including BA have hinted for a while that BR would have to move off 3B.

We have heard that he has improved over at third...Obviously, if he reaches his potential, he is a better player for us if he is at third...Why not give him at least another year there?

He is still very young...Not like he is 22 or 23 and close to the majors.

He has made defensive progress.

Right now, as Tony said, he makes the majors because of his bat...So, why not keep him where he is comfortable and let him continue to improve his hitting...Then, at that point, you can move him to another position if you still feel that needs to happen.

Now, if Rowell went to the Orioles and said that he would feel more comfortable if they moved him to the OF, then i would have no issue with that...But to my knowledge, that hasn't happened.

Archived