5/1 vs. Yankees

1 minute ago, allquixotic said:

Holmes may not be available tomorrow, so if it's a close game, we may have a real chance in the 9th tomorrow. Win the series.

Might need a team meeting to talk about batting, though. We had chances tonight before Holmes came in, and we absolutely squandered them.

They have other excellent relievers. Pitching isn’t their problem.

1 minute ago, ArtVanDelay said:

Thank the Poverty Pirates for giving the Yankees Clay Holmes for free. 

If the Pirates knew what they had and were able to fix Holmes they wouldn't have given him away for magic beans. Elias needs to find another undervalued hard throwing pitcher and trade Stowers for him.

2 minutes ago, EddeeEddee said:

What's scary about the Yankees is how good their pitching is even without Gerrit Cole.  

They have great pitching for sure. The Sox do too. But neither really has a good offense. At least the Yanks have a good top 5 (when Judge gets it going). The Red Sox have what two very good and one good hitter?

Just now, OnlyOneOriole said:

Sometimes good teams just beat you.  Is what it is.

Couldn’t have said it any better. We still have a chance to win the series tomorrow. Though it will be tough against Rodon. 

Our offense can’t be any worse than it was tonight.

3 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

If the Pirates knew what they had and were able to fix Holmes they wouldn't have given him away for magic beans. Elias needs to find another undervalued hard throwing pitcher and trade Stowers for him.

Or he could just pay what it takes to do something less risky and actually get a good late inning reliever. 

I would prefer not to put our post season hopes on an addition like Fuji. Sometimes when you try to “outsmart” everyone, you only end up outsmarting yourself.

Just now, Bemorewins said:

Or he could just pay what it takes to do something less risky and actually get a good late inning reliever. 

I would prefer not to put our post season hopes on an addition like Fuji. Sometimes when you try to “outsmart” everyone, you only end up outsmarting yourself.

I'm talking about a pitcher better than Fuji he was basically a waiver wire pickup. I don't mind getting Miller, but not for Samuel Basallo who is shaping up to be the best hitting catching prospect in a generation.

2 minutes ago, Billy F-Face3 said:

Never said I didn't. Just that I wouldn't give a top 25 prospect for him.

That may be the cost. Not sure. But you need someone elite at that back end who can shorten the game and pitch more than 1 inning when necessary. 

I’m telling you right now, Kimbrell is not going to cut it. Look at the stuff difference between these elite guys like Miller and Holmes and compare that to what he has to offer.

1 minute ago, Bemorewins said:

That may be the cost. Not sure. But you need someone elite at that back end who can shorten the game and pitch more than 1 inning when necessary. 

I’m telling you right now, Kimbrell is not going to cut it. Look at the stuff difference between these elite guys like Miller and Holmes and compare that to what he has to offer.

Remember how volatile relievers are. The Padres traded for Hader and he struggled. The Twins traded for Lopez in his All Star season, and he struggled.

All things being equal, position players hold more value and are more predictable than relievers. And really good starting pitchers are simply more scarce.

21 minutes ago, justD said:

Hmm.  I just found that we had a copy of 2112 and it's like pristine.  Never been much of a Rush fan, but will listen to it again to pick this up. 

That could be worth real money...

2112 is the right gateway into Rush, trust me.

1 minute ago, Uli2001 said:

That could be worth real money...

2112 is the right gateway into Rush, trust me.

I'd say the right gateway to Rush is Moving Pictures.

Not saying it's the superior album but it's a lot more accessible.