Rotation status snapshot (as of 3/11)

stef

A snapshot based on various media comments and statements by Trembley, Kranitz and McPhail.

In:

Jeremy Guthrie

Koji Uehara

Not ruled out:

Danys Baez

Brian Bass (though he seemed to be a few days ago)

Bradley Bergesen

Radhames Liz

David Pauley

Hayden Penn

Chris Waters

Not ruled out but DT prefers as long reliever:

Mark Hendrickson

Not ruled out but concerns about lack of time or injury:

Rich Hill (via Roch, DT states: "Questionable. He will have to catch up,")

Alfredo Simon (might have a better idea after Friday)

Adam Eaton (might have a better idea after Friday)

Out:

Matt Albers (still being considered for bullpen)

Brad Hennessey

John Parrish

Troy Patton

Jake Arrieta

Brian Matusz

David Hernandez

Chris Tillman

Chiasson, Keefer, Mitchell and Wolf not included but, hey, you never know.

If the situation deteriorates further, Arrieta and Hernandez could get back into the mix, but I doubt it.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've stopped wondering whether or not we're going to have the worst pitching in the Majors, and started wondering how embarrassingly large the gap is going to be to the next worst team.

Some would say we need a small miracle. I'd say one of our options above not named Guthrie or Uehara pitching a full season with an ERA south of 5 would be a small miracle. Having three of them do it would be equivalent to parting the Red Sea.

Sorry for the pessimism. I needed to vent. This thread is incredibly depressing. Can someone just zonk me out and wake me up a year from now? If more than one of the big three have bad years or get hurt, don't bother. Follow the same protocol if we bring MelMo back.

I've stopped wondering whether or not we're going to have the worst pitching in the Majors, and started wondering how embarrassingly large the gap is going to be to the next worst team.

Some would say we need a small miracle. I'd say one of our options above not named Guthrie or Uehara pitching a full season with an ERA south of 5 would be a small miracle. Having three of them do it would be equivalent to parting the Red Sea.

Sorry for the pessimism. I needed to vent. This thread is incredibly depressing. Can someone just zonk me out and wake me up a year from now? If more than one of the big three have bad years or get hurt, don't bother. Follow the same protocol if we bring MelMo back.

I don't really understand why this thread is depressing. It only is if you make it. So if you want to be depressed, go for it.

If our pitchers keep being sidelines with injuries, yeah, it's not going to be good. But if we can stay relatively healthy, there's no reason why we can't improve on last year... by a lot. However, keeping the pitching healthy seems to be one of this team's biggest problems, if not THE biggest problem.

If our pitchers keep being sidelined with injuries, yeah, it's not going to be good. But if we can stay relatively healthy, there's no reason why we can't improve on last year... by a lot. However, keeping the pitching healthy seems to be one of this team's biggest problems, if not THE biggest problem.

Who here enjoyed last September?

Who here still cares about last year?

The focus is on this year.

But to continue with your nonsensory about last September:

1) Guthrie, Johnson, and Ray aren't on the DL.

2) Olson and Cabrera aren't on the team anymore.

3) Uehara wasn't on the team.

4) It is a new year. Stop living in the past.

Who here still cares about last year?

The focus is on this year.

But to continue with your nonsensory about last September:

1) Guthrie, Johnson, and Ray aren't on the DL.

2) Olson and Cabrera aren't on the team anymore.

3) Uehara wasn't on the team.

4) It is a new year. Stop living in the past.

I get your drift. But if we were to run Danys Baez, Brian Bass, Bradley Bergesen, Radhames Liz, David Pauley, Hayden Penn, Chris Waters, Mark Hendrickson, Rich Hill, Alfredo Simon, and Adam Eaton out there for 30 starts each against our schedule, how many would have an ERA under 5.25?

I do not think Baez, Pauley, Waters, Hendrickson, or Eaton would. Of the remaining 6, I'm not sure that more than half would.

I use 5.25 because that was D-Cab last year, and one of your points was addition by subtraction of him.

At this point my rotation would be:

Guthrie

Uehara

Hill

Penn

Bergesen

If Hill has to start on the DL:

Guthrie

Uehara

Penn

Liz

Bergesen

Mine would be

Guthrie

Uehara

Bergesen

Matusz

Penn

Matusz has options obviously and we can save one if he can stick on the ML roster. He looks ready and is outpitching the other starters in camp that are trying for those spots. If the kid is ready, let him pitch.

Archived