Rotation status snapshot (as of 3/11)

stef

Mine would be

Guthrie

Uehara

Bergesen

Matusz

Penn

Matusz has options obviously and we can save one if he can stick on the ML roster. He looks ready and is outpitching the other starters in camp that are trying for those spots. If the kid is ready, let him pitch.

I personally think Matusz could be a serviceable ML statrter right now. Realistically, he is probably our third or fourth best pitcher.

However, I didn't include him because I know there is about 0% chance he makes the team.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Mine would be

Guthrie

Uehara

Bergesen

Matusz

Penn

Matusz has options obviously and we can save one if he can stick on the ML roster. He looks ready and is outpitching the other starters in camp that are trying for those spots. If the kid is ready, let him pitch.

That is a horrible reason to keep him. He has four options years so he can be optioned every year from this point on and will have to stick on the roster by 2013. If he can't do it by then then we have much bigger issues at hand.

I get your drift. But if we were to run Danys Baez, Brian Bass, Bradley Bergesen, Radhames Liz, David Pauley, Hayden Penn, Chris Waters, Mark Hendrickson, Rich Hill, Alfredo Simon, and Adam Eaton out there for 30 starts each against our schedule, how many would have an ERA under 5.25?

I do not think Baez, Pauley, Waters, Hendrickson, or Eaton would. Of the remaining 6, I'm not sure that more than half would.

I use 5.25 because that was D-Cab last year, and one of your points was addition by subtraction of him.

Only two or three of those names mentioned will be in the rotation at any given time. Two or three of them will be released at the end of spring training. Bergesen, Liz, Waters, and Hernandez will be waiting in the minors. The key thing is we should not leave a struggling pitcher in the rotation. If someone is struggling, then call up the pitcher who is "hot" from Norfolk.

You are right, over the course of a season given 30 starts they might not post 5.25 ERAs, but in limited doses they should do fine.

McGregor - "There's never an absoulte in anything". Thinks that Bergesen shouldn't be ruled out, and thinks that he can handle pitching in the Majors.

Is impressed by Pauley, and think's that he has the stuff to succeed in Baltimore.

McGregor - "There's never an absoulte in anything". Thinks that Bergesen shouldn't be ruled out, and thinks that he can handle pitching in the Majors.

Is impressed by Pauley, and think's that he has the stuff to succeed in Baltimore.

I really haven't been impressed by Pauley at all. I haven't seen him pitch at all, but the reports I've seen are that his stuff is below-average. From waht I've read, Bergesen's stuff is much better and he has performed much better this spring.

If it comes down to Pauley or Bergesen in the rotation it should be Bergesen. I know that ST stats are pretty much meaningless, but 20 hits allowed in 9.1 IP is a cause for concern. I have little doubt that Pauley will pass through waivers.

Only two or three of those names mentioned will be in the rotation at any given time. Two or three of them will be released at the end of spring training. Bergesen, Liz, Waters, and Hernandez will be waiting in the minors. The key thing is we should not leave a struggling pitcher in the rotation. If someone is struggling, then call up the pitcher who is "hot" from Norfolk.

This is true and I hope the Orioles utilize their spare fringy MLB arms as effectively as possible. But there's no way to spin it to realistically say that 2009 is going to be pretty as far as our pitching is concerned. Better than last year is far from good. Unfortunately I'm nowhere near positive that we will be much better than last year once everything runs its course. I think it's likely similar or slightly better.

2010, 2010, 2010....

Edit: End of pessimism, back to work.

As of right now my rotation would be:

Guthrie

Uehara

Bergesen

Liz

Hill/Penn depending on Hill's health

Of course that could, and probably will, change.

I'd much rather project next years rotation.

I'm starting to come around on Bergesen heading North with the club. He's supplied innings in Spring Training, and they haven't been terrible. Your rotation looks fairly accurate. Hill will probably start the year on the DL and get some innings at AAA or something.

Well after today's outing he might want to reconsider. There's a reason Boston waived him...

And there was a reason why Cleveland waived Guthrie, oh wait...:rolleyes:

He got hit around today but the important thing is that he was still throwing strikes.

He lasted on the Red Sox's 40 man roster for three seasons, so they saw something in him to keep him around, there was just never space for him. If we had Matsusaka, Tawaza, Lester, Penny, Smoltz, Masterson, Wakefield, and others we could afford to waive Pauely too.

Well after today's outing he might want to reconsider. There's a reason Boston waived him...

Yeah, I haven't been too impressed with Pauley either. As of now, I doubt his ability to get through a lineup two or three times without getting knocked around.

He appears to be one of those guys that can't get by without his best stuff. Granted, I've only seen him pitch once and am relying on other reports, but he doesn't seem to have great stuff, as it is.

And there was a reason why Cleveland waived Guthrie, oh wait...:rolleyes:

He got hit around today but the important thing is that he was still throwing strikes.

He lasted on the Red Sox's 40 man roster for three seasons, so they saw something in him to keep him around, there was just never space for him. If we had Matsusaka, Tawaza, Lester, Penny, Smoltz, Masterson, Wakefield, and others we could afford to waive Pauely too.

I don't disagree with this, but 20 hits allowed in 9.1 IP is very concerning to me. He is getting smacked around everytime he goes out there.

I don't disagree with this, but 20 hits allowed in 9.1 IP is very concerning to me. He is getting smacked around everytime he goes out there.

David Pauley ST Stats

2/25 - 0.1 innings 5 hits 1BB 0K

3/1 - 3 innings 3 hits 0BB 3K

3/6 - 3 innings 4 hits 0BB 2K

3/11 - 3 innings 8 hits 1BB 3K

He gave up 13 hits in 3.1 innings between the two starts, but then about a hit per inning in his other two starts.

Archived