Rotation status snapshot (as of 3/11)

stef

Penn, Bergesen and Matusz have all outpitched Pauley and if Hill is not ready, those three guys should be in the rotation.

However it's pretty obvious Pauley will be in the rotation regardless, if Hill isn't healthy based on Trembley's comments:

I asked manager Dave Trembley about David Pauley's tendency to put runners on base, but also minimize the damage.

"He throws strikes," Trembley said. "That's what he does. He throws strikes. He makes them put it in play."

What about all the hard-hit balls today?

"He ain't perfect," Trembley said. "What do you want, cheapies all day? He throws strikes."

I'd rather see cheapies than hard hit balls. Trembley is settling a little too much IMO, but of course that falls back on MacPhail not giving him much to work with...

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Penn, Bergesen and Matusz have all outpitched Pauley and if Hill is not ready, those three guys should be in the rotation.

However it's pretty obvious Pauley will be in the rotation regardless, if Hill isn't healthy based on Trembley's comments:

I'd rather see cheapies than hard hit balls. Trembley is settling a little too much IMO, but of course that falls back on MacPhail not giving him much to work with...

I don't see how you deduce that Pauley will be in the rotation regardless from that quote? :confused:

To keep bringing up Matusz is a waste of breath.

Pauley, Penn, and Bergesen could be our final three rotation members.

Give me 5 of Guthrie, Uehera, Penn, BB, Pauley and Hill...Hill should get in enough time to where he is ready to make the rotation.

He may have to be the 5th starter out of camp though...to give him that extra time to get ready.

I actually would be fine with Matusz making the rotation right now...He is probably ready to contribute now but that won't happen.

I've stopped wondering whether or not we're going to have the worst pitching in the Majors, and started wondering how embarrassingly large the gap is going to be to the next worst team.

Some would say we need a small miracle. I'd say one of our options above not named Guthrie or Uehara pitching a full season with an ERA south of 5 would be a small miracle. Having three of them do it would be equivalent to parting the Red Sea.

I wonder if you realize that last year, Guthrie was our only starter who started more than 4 games and had an ERA under 5.00 as a starter. In fact, we gave 62 starts to starters who had ERA's of 6.35 or higher. If we had 3 starters behind Guthrie and Uehara who averaged, say, 5.75 ERA, that actually would be a huge improvement over last year. Amazing, but true.

And by the way, despite that, we weren't the worst pitching team in the majors in 2008. Texas was.

I wonder if you realize that last year, Guthrie was our only starter who started more than 4 games and had an ERA under 5.00 as a starter. In fact, we gave 62 starts to starters who had ERA's of 6.35 or higher. If we had 3 starters behind Guthrie and Uehara who averaged, say, 5.75 ERA, that actually would be a huge improvement over last year. Amazing, but true.

And by the way, despite that, we weren't the worst pitching team in the majors in 2008. Texas was.

I hadn't thought of that in quite a while . Thanks for reminding me.:rofl:

I get your drift. But if we were to run Danys Baez, Brian Bass, Bradley Bergesen, Radhames Liz, David Pauley, Hayden Penn, Chris Waters, Mark Hendrickson, Rich Hill, Alfredo Simon, and Adam Eaton out there for 30 starts each against our schedule, how many would have an ERA under 5.25?

I do not think Baez, Pauley, Waters, Hendrickson, or Eaton would. Of the remaining 6, I'm not sure that more than half would.

I use 5.25 because that was D-Cab last year, and one of your points was addition by subtraction of him.

This is the best strategy I've heard yet. With 30 starts for each of those guys, plus a decent load for Guts and Koji, no way we don't come out of it with 150 wins.

Give me 5 of Guthrie, Uehera, Penn, BB, Pauley and Hill...Hill should get in enough time to where he is ready to make the rotation.

He may have to be the 5th starter out of camp though...to give him that extra time to get ready.

I actually would be fine with Matusz making the rotation right now...He is probably ready to contribute now but that won't happen.

Which BB are you talking about....Bass or Bergeson?

Frobby, as usual you're right on point. Perhaps I didn't remember clearly how catastrophically bad we were. I wonder what our team ERA would have been playing in Texas, and I wonder what Texas' ERA would have been against our schedule. I'm sure that can be figured out by statistical analysis if you know what you're doing, but I certainly don't. It's a moot point anyways.

And finally, thank goodness we nabbed Uehara. I wouldn't want to think about trying to fill 4 spots with these guys, three is bad enough. Plus one out of this slew of pitchers HAS to step up and contribute, right??

Just to give a nice pessimistic take on things: Maybe Uehara is a decent major league starter, and maybe BB's groundball pitching translates to major league success, and maybe Penn shows he's a top of the rotation guy, but it's all just speculation and hope at this point.

If you believe we have to have a top of the line starting rotation to compete in this division, which I certainly do, then you can have a lively debate about whether any of these guys will be a part of that. Guthrie has the best chance, and I don't know who would be second.

And you inlcude Pauley for what reason? Upside? 2 hits per inning? Or because you talked him up over the winter and you have to keep pumping him up despite the evidence that his stuff his "minor league".

I'd rather see Liz and Bass as starters before Pauley.

I am going to go with what he has done in the minors over his extremely small sample size this spring.

Liz has no future as a starter and Bass is awful and has no business on the team.

Pauley is young, has control and has showed he can eat innings in the minors.

I have never thought he would be much more than a back end of the rotation starter/long man but right now, with him being out of options and being a guy I think could give us 150+ innings, I would give him the job.

Archived