Rotation status snapshot (as of 3/11)

stef

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I agree 100%. I can understand not rushing Tillman or Arietta.... but Matusz seems to be on a different level as far as maturity, pitch selection and command.

I would rather see Matusz learn at the big league level than be subjected to Waters, Baez, Bass et al...

The bottom line is that he makes the Orioles a better team this year.. and the experience will make him better for 2010 and in the future.

I agree 100%. I can understand not rushing Tillman or Arietta.... but Matusz seems to be on a different level as far as maturity, pitch selection and command.

I would rather see Matusz learn at the big league level than be subjected to Waters, Baez, Bass et al...

The bottom line is that he makes the Orioles a better team this year.. and the experience will make him better for 2010 and in the future.

Gotta say I don't disagree with any of this.

Matusz can perform right now..I have no doubt about that.

Now, does that mean he should make the team? Tough to say...The DRays didn't do it with David Price, not that it means anything for us.

Moose didn't stay in the minors for long.

Maztusz probably should be in the rotation by August though.

Bass is too easy to spell so my guess would be Bergeson.. :)

Guthrie

Koji

Hill

Penn

Pauley

Bergeson for Hill if injury which looks likely...

I guess the bottom line is that no matter who heads north as part of the rotation, they have to be better than last year. The improved defense will really help.

And Zaun is supposed to be great at handling pitchers.. That will work out great for team, even after Wieters is here.

When it goes bad....

1. Guthrie - follows a so-so WBC warmup with a bad WBC outing 2 IP, 4 ER.

2. Uehara - Tweaked a hammy. Even if Uehara misses 10 days instead of two, he should be ready to open the season.

Bunched (Ranked by performance but options and contracts will weigh heavily)

3. Bergesen - Brad follows a 3 inning effort with a 4 inning outing. 2.57 ERA. Has options.

4. Liz - Strong 3 innings brings Radhames back into contention. 2.57 ERA. Has option.

5. Baez - Totaling unexpected 3 2/3 inning has everyone wondering if he can do it again. 3.86 ERA. Almost 7M contract.

6. Bass - Back in the hunt. Starter? Long Reliever? Who's Healthy? 2 2/3 innings would have been 3 if Trembley didn't want to see Perez. 2.13 ERA counting Dominican game. Leads the club in innings with 8.2. Out of options.

7. Penn - Bad outing. But too early to count him out. 3.86 ERA. Out of options.

8. Pauley- A 2.44 WHIP will not earn him a spot in the rotation. Out of options.

9. Waters- Close to not being in the running.

Throwing on the hurryup

10. Hill - Roch says 'Bullpen session Sunday. Spot open for him.' Out of options

11. Eaton - 1st game Friday. Minor league contract

12. Simon - 1st game Friday. Minor league contract

13. Hendrickson - To go 3 inning Thursday. Trembley believes his best value is as a reliever. $1.5M contract.

Will not be in the rotation on Opening Day.

Albers - If his arm is that risky, why pitch him in the majors in April where 19 of the 22 games could be in bad weather. Extended ST could have him ready of May. Has an option.

Parrish - Getting well for Norfolk. Minor league conttact

Hennessey - See Parrish. Minor league contract

The Young Guys

Matusz - MacPhail to Trembley: "Yes, Dave he really does have to go to the minors."

Tillman - The future is ...... not too far away.

Arrieta - These three pitch tomorrow in the intrasquad game.

Hernandez - Strong arm. Norfolk rotation will be fun to follow.

Patton - Will need to take it slow.

When do they have to be ready by?

The O's would like the starters to be ready to 6-7 innings by opening day.

But 5 innings will get a pitcher a spot in the rotation.

Therefore to get to 5 innings, here is the worst case schedule IMO.

1 inning by March 20th

2 innings by March 25th

3 innings by March 30th

4 innings by April 4th

You haven't sounded this sure about pitchers since you insisted it was a waste of time to try Guthrie out as a start a couple of years ago. :rolleyes:

If Kranitz can stay on top of Liz and keep his mechanics clean, he's still got a chance. Bass's stuff is just plain better than Pauley's. Neither may make the rotation but Pauley will get lit up like a Christmas tree if he does.

I really don't think this is true.

I really don't think this is true.

Yea, i am sure RZ has seen Pauley and Bass pitch a lot to make that comment. :rolleyes:

Pauley had a K rate of almost 1 per 9 IP better than Bass in the minors.

Bass did let up less hits but he was also in an organization that consistently produces top defensive players, so maybe that helped him?

They actually are close in terms of their stats...Same walk rate, similar HR rates...Pauley k's more, Bass has given up less hits(although this isn't the best stat to use anyway).

Neither has had much ML experience to even really talk about what they have done.

I actually did think Bass was older than he is....I certainly would rather see him on the team vs Hendrickson or Baez.

You haven't sounded this sure about pitchers since you insisted it was a waste of time to try Guthrie out as a start a couple of years ago. :rolleyes:

If Kranitz can stay on top of Liz and keep his mechanics clean, he's still got a chance. Bass's stuff is just plain better than Pauley's. Neither may make the rotation but Pauley will get lit up like a Christmas tree if he does.

Agree. Pauley is being hit hard by AAA lineups. The AL East will not be kind to him.

Bass has shown well so far. He needs more of a chance before we will know what he can do.

Agree. Pauley is being hit hard by AAA lineups. The AL East will not be kind to him.

Bass has shown well so far. He needs more of a chance before we will know what he can do.

Seriously?

The amount of weight being put in ST stats in a tiny sample size is mind boggling.

Go to the real sample size.....Minor league stats.

The pot calling the kettle black. Very funny! Hilarious!

So good to see that you are still around here providing comic relief for so many. I think I'm speaking for almost everyone when I say, than you.

Well, I am not the one comparing their stuff though, am I?

You are making a comment based off of nothing because we know its not based off of knowledge.

I am looking at their MiL stats....As I just said, their stats are similar and Bass is younger than I thought he was....So i am more open to him but I still like Pauley a little bit more...He is year and a half younger and the better K rate, along with similar command gives him the edge IMO.

The minor league numbers are very similar. How about using something called your own two eyes and making a judgement. You were on the wrong side in Roberts/Hairston and Morneau/Kotchman. On a much lesser scale, you are on the wrong side again. Pauley is pedestrian. At least Bass has ML stuff.

???

I never commented on Morneau was he was a young player.

Nice memory! LOL

You liked Kotchman more than Morneau when Morneau and Kotchman were just starting out. I think Kotchman was still in the minors at that point and Morneau was just getting his feet wet in the minors. I remember like it was yesterday.

Ok, whatever...I don't remember ever even knowing one thing about Morneau as a young player...but if I did, I did.

Kotchman was an amazing prospect with great upside...and still does.

Either way, it was pretty stupid and pointless to bring up and you still haven't talked about how much you have seen both of these guys pitch to say that Bass has ML stuff and Pauley is pedestrian.(of course, I have a pretty good idea why you haven't answered this)

Ok, whatever...I don't remember ever even knowing one thing about Morneau as a young player...but if I did, I did.

Kotchman was an amazing prospect with great upside...and still does.

Either way, it was pretty stupid and pointless to bring up and you still haven't talked about how much you have seen both of these guys pitch to say that Bass has ML stuff and Pauley is pedestrian.(of course, I have a pretty good idea why you haven't answered this)

Have you seen both of them pitch?

If not, you are just drawing conclusions based on statistics. Different conclusions can be drawn from the same statistics.

Archived