What is your takeaway from the Yankees series?

Just to add something that hasn't been discussed, their infield defense was awful. I don't think that is the norm for them, especially Volpe. I expect Judge and the defense to be better the next time we face them. 

It was a great series, not just because the O's won 3. Regardless of how I feel about the Yankees, they're going to be around all season. This was basically close like you would expect a playoff series to be. 

Judge averages 100 games a year. Stanton appears to be toast. Soto is one of the best hitters in the MLB. There were some absences from the lineup that'll be back and could change their offense. Baseball is changing though and the Yankees team is the old way. 

6 hours ago, oriole said:

Judge is gonna turn it around. Cole is coming back. They’ll undoubtedly make a big move by the deadline. The Yankees won’t be going anywhere. It was good to get 3 out of 4 while they're not firing on all cylinders. 

Orioles bullpen is very shaky. I can’t predict a division title unless some changes happen.

Funny you say that AFTER the bullpen completely shut down the Yankees. They were dominant in the most important series so far and will only get better once Wells and Grayson come back. Irvin will be in the bullpen and possibly Means. It's a marathon, not a sprint, and I think the Orioles will continue to add games to their lead over the long haul - they are just better IMO.

Another thought on the Yankess - their lack of position player depth was noticeable.  Having no one decent to PH for Grisham multiple times at the end of games; and then they put in a PH in the last game finally, and it was Jahmai Jones.  I mean, our bench tonight (Urias, McKenna, Cowser, McCann) - any of those players would be the best player on the Yankees bench, and most of them would probably start for them on a fairly regular basis.

Maybe that changes if/when Dominguez comes back, and they get Jones up, but right now, any single position player injury and they are in trouble.  One injury away from Jahmai Jones getting regular starts for the NYY.

The O's pitching can go toe to toe with the Yankees.  The O's need help in the bullpen.  Hyde needs to manage the bullpen better.  The Yankees will be the O's main competition for the division unless injuries take them out.

5 hours ago, 24fps said:

Just a couple of things...

This year's Yankees team is really bad at defense judging from what I saw.  They reminded me of the Orioles teams from the MacPhail years.  OTOH the O's are a real joy to watch in the field - no lack of confidence anywhere.

The O's can beat an age-old nemesis even when their offense barely shows up.  Big props to the O's starters for stepping up.

Stanton's decline is remarkable.  If Boog Powell raced him to 1B today, my money would be on Boog.

I genuinely dislike Juan Soto.

This series took Soto from someone I didn't know much about other than stats on a page to most hated Yankee.  Soto is genuinely a gigantic a hole.  I have to say despite his great batting ability, I don't really want him on the O's.  There's no way the O's/Elias would spend the $500 million or so it would take anyway.  Is Soto really well liked by the players he has played with?  He just seems like one of those, it's all about me players.

9 hours ago, ChipTait said:

I don't like hearing "Yankees suck" chants at OPACY.  Let the Red Sox fans stoop to that level.

Let us win with grace, and allow the MFY fans to lose with dignity as they make the long trek back to Penn Station for the long, sad train ride home.

Let's Go O's!

Reminds me of when we wooped them in laugher on Sunday Night Baseball last season. There were alot of Yankees fans there and they were harder on the Yankees players than Orioles fans were. They bood their pitcher when he left the game. And I half heartedly started a "Last place Yankees *clap clap clap-clap-clap" chant quietly under my breath. The yankees fan in the row in front of me laughed but I honestly didn't want to be that guy and taunt them after so many had just donated their hard earned money to the Orioles franchise by making that long drive to buy tickets inside Camden Yards, and they had just watched their Yankees get beat. So I cut it short and just had a chuckle with that Yankee fan.

Meanwhile 1 Orioles fan behind us was getting belligerent and my nephew was very embarrassed by hearing his behavior. It reminded me to win with class and dignity.

# life lessons

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, oriolediehard said:

I heard from a knowledgeable fan that the Yankees are the richest team in the MLB, even more than the Dodgers.

Perhaps by measuring team revenue and other rational metrics.  But Steve Cohen of the Mets is individually worth $16 billion which is three times the net worth of the Dodgers' Mark Walter so determining what team is richest starts to get complicated.

2 hours ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

This series took Soto from someone I didn't know much about other than stats on a page to most hated Yankee.  Soto is genuinely a gigantic a hole.  I have to say despite his great batting ability, I don't really want him on the O's.  There's no way the O's/Elias would spend the $500 million or so it would take anyway.  Is Soto really well liked by the players he has played with?  He just seems like one of those, it's all about me players.

Acquiring Jack Flaherty at the deadline last season made me realize that having to root for someone I personally disliked degraded the experience.  I don't want Soto on the O's either.

5 minutes ago, 24fps said:

Acquiring Jack Flaherty at the deadline last season made me realize that having to root for someone I personally disliked degraded the experience.  I don't want Soto on the O's either.

You were not here for Delmon Young and Francisco Rodríguez?

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

You were not here for Delmon Young and Francisco Rodríguez?

Sure.  And Erik Bedard. And Reggie Jackson and a few others over the years.  But it's just so much more fun when the complaining tops out over some perfectly decent human being like Adam Frazier taking playing time away from some more deserving top 50 prospect rotting away in AAA.

1 minute ago, 24fps said:

Sure.  And Erik Bedard. And Reggie Jackson and a few others over the years.  But it's just so much more fun when the complaining tops out over some perfectly decent human being like Adam Frazier taking playing time away from some more deserving top 50 prospect rotting away in AAA.

I guess we all have our lines.

I don't care if a guy is a jerk.

I care if someone commits a hate crime or is a domestic abuser.

From what I know of the two of them I'd rather spend time in a room with Bedard than I would Frazier.