Saturday, May 4 in Cincinnati: John Means returns to the mound

SteveA

Just now, Remember The Alomar said:

And here I was hoping for 5 innings and three runs. That's great to hear. Velo solid?

Low 90's max from what I can remember, but I was so memorized by Means pitches I didn't really pay attention to the radar gun. Means had complete control over the strike zone tonight.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, baltfan said:

I think that was it.  Ball hit to the track.  Ball to zgunnar could have been a hit.   They will bring in Cionel and finish with Webb

Neither of those balls were very well hit. I would take him out just to give the BP some work but I have no doubt Means would be good for at least one more, just no need to push it

My primary concern is how do we manage Kimbrel? We just proved that we can't use him too often or he wears down and loses his effectiveness. We need to keep him primed for the entirety of the season. Marathon, not a sprint.

Hyde used Bautista too much and we were opening in these game threads last May/June that it could come back to hurt him. And sure enough by the end of the season Bautista had a serious arm injury.

These guys are human and we much manage their health to be able to manage their contributions to the team.