Go get Kopech..and other potential BP additions

9 minutes ago, dystopia said:

Then the O’s should laugh in their face and hang up. 

We can laugh all we want, but if we don’t infuse some high end talent to the back of that bullpen, the joke will be on us in October. Relying on Kimbrel and Cano night after night (round after round) in the Fall is not a recipe for success IMO.

1 minute ago, Bemorewins said:

The Orioles have more top end prospects than any other contender (maybe sans the Phillies who don’t really need Miller). So if we don’t have enough to get him who does? Who could outbid us for his services realistically (other than the Phillies)?

What package do you think it would take? And what would that do to our farm system? I'm thinking the A's would want pitching in return. What pitching prospects in our system are other teams drooling over?  

3 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

We can laugh all we want, but if we don’t infuse some high end talent to the back of that bullpen, the joke will be on us in October. Relying on Kimbrel and Cano night after night (round after round) in the Fall is not a recipe for success IMO.

I agree that we need talent at the back end of the BP, but Miller will simply cost more than Elias or any of us want to pay. The O's will likely look for BP pieces with fewer years on their contracts, maybe even only 3-month rentals

18 minutes ago, Jagwar said:

I really don't think the O's have enough to get him, not without completely emptying the cupboard and losing players we really don't want to lose. 

Depends on what you mean by completely emptying the cupboard.   There’s no doubt we could get him without emptying the cupboard.   Probably the cost is something no one here would want to do.

(Kjerstad or Mayo) +  Povich

Could we get Miller with more volume and make it hurt less?

Beavers + Norby + Povich?

Here’s what Bozo Bowden suggested for the Phillies

4. Is Mason Miller a realistic trade possibility for the Phillies? Do you think they could land Miller with a prospect package of outfielder Justin Crawford and starting pitcher Mick Abel plus maybe a lower-end prospect and a current role player? — Owen S.

If I’m the A’s, I am converting Miller to the starting rotation where I believe he can develop into a No. 1 type of starter. If they’re not going to make him a starter, they should deal him now, when they would get the best possible return. So what’s a fair package for Miller from the Phillies? From Oakland’s side, I’m asking for third baseman Aidan Miller, who is ranked as the Phillies’ top position player prospect by MLB Pipeline, and Mick Abel as the return, or Miller and starting pitcher Andrew Painter, their top overall prospect, if I’m comfortable with how his rehab is progressing after Tommy John surgery last year. Those are steep asks, but Miller is that good, on and off the field.

4 minutes ago, Jagwar said:

I agree that we need talent at the back end of the BP, but Miller will simply cost more than Elias or any of us want to pay. The O's will likely look for BP pieces with fewer years on their contracts, maybe even only 3-month rentals

This is probably correct.  Very doubtful Elias would pay the price.

8 minutes ago, Jagwar said:

What package do you think it would take? And what would that do to our farm system? I'm thinking the A's would want pitching in return. What pitching prospects in our system are other teams drooling over?  

First, I don’t know what the A’s would want. I have literally no idea and could only speculate. 

However, if they want pitching, we don’t have any to give. I’m not sure why the A’s would be dogmatic about insisting on mostly/only pitching prospects in return, when the game as a whole values young position players (given the volatility/injury risks of pitchers).

Second, maintaining a highly ranked minor league system is not a top priority to me anymore. Almost all of our position spots are now filled or will be filled soon with young players. Things are to the point where we have at prime aged 25 Kjerstad stuck in the Minors because there is no place to play him. 

If we had to move Kjerstad then so be it. Mayo can play RF and Holliday will be our 2B next year. And that is fine with me. 

However, we have an opportunity to win a pennant this season. IMO only the Yankees are a serious AL competitor. We have to take advantage of what is in front of us this season because you don’t know what the future will bring or how many chances we will get in future seasons that are better than this one (regardless of who is on the roster).

7 minutes ago, Jagwar said:

I’m not dogmatic about Miller, though he is the absolute best we could possibly acquire, and could put us over the top against the Yankees.

However, I certainly want the aim to be for a player who is very good, not a player who has a high ceiling but a low floor. We do not need to play the risk game/going cheap at this point because what is at stake is championship(s).

30 minutes ago, Roy Firestone said:

Whatever we do, I hope to God they dont deal Kjerstad or Mayo..both will someday be lethal bats...Norby? Sure. Stowers? Ok. But Not Those two big boppers. It would be a big mistake, especially because pitchers are as fragile as a porcelain doll.They break easily. And if we break it...we bought it.

I can’t disagree with you but a healthy Miller looks like a difference maker in a short series.   It would really hurt if he went to the Yankees or Dodgers or someone we might have to face down the road.

How do you see both Mayo and Kjerstad fitting into the 2024 or 2025 Orioles?

1 minute ago, RZNJ said:

I can’t disagree with you but a healthy Miller looks like a difference maker in a short series.   It would really hurt if he went to the Yankees or Dodgers or someone we might have to face down the road.

How do you see both Mayo and Kjerstad fitting into the 2024 or 2025 Orioles?

I would be OK with dealing Kjerstad, but not Mayo.   

Kjerstad, Povich, and Norby for Miller.    Do you do it?

2 minutes ago, clapdiddy said:

I would be OK with dealing Kjerstad, but not Mayo.   

Kjerstad, Povich, and Norby for Miller.    Do you do it?

I like Miller but that's a pretty high price.

• Upvote 1

I would give them both Kjerstad and Mayo because I think we're better with Miller than we are with both of them on the MLB roster. Having them does nothing to fix the bullpen. I would trade Holliday for him as well. Chances are none of them turn into what everyone hopes they're going to be.

45 minutes ago, Roy Firestone said:

Whatever we do, I hope to God they dont deal Kjerstad or Mayo..both will someday be lethal bats...Norby? Sure. Stowers? Ok. But Not Those two big boppers. It would be a big mistake, especially because pitchers are as fragile as a porcelain doll.They break easily. And if we break it...we bought it.

I wouldn’t trade Miller for less than one of those, if I were the A’s.  

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Frobby said:

I wouldn’t trade Miller for less than one of those, if I were the A’s.  

I agree with both sides. I wouldn’t do our end due to short track record. You are not trading for a 25 year old Chris Sale on a historic strikeout rate like the Red Sox did. We are talking about 56 career innings pitched. Through Elias I’ve learned usually quantity is better than quality when it comes to trades. Cano and Bradish were basically the bag of balls in respective trades.

I've mentioned it many times but eventually STL has to bottom out. They are 11th in the NL in OPS and 12th in ERA. Ryan Helsley is exactly what we are looking for. We can trade the Norbys and Beavers of the world for him and not have to give up the core blue chip guys.

• Upvote 1