Go get Kopech..and other potential BP additions

28 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

I can’t disagree with you but a healthy Miller looks like a difference maker in a short series.   It would really hurt if he went to the Yankees or Dodgers or someone we might have to face down the road.

How do you see both Mayo and Kjerstad fitting into the 2024 or 2025 Orioles?

The Yankees do not need Miller. They already have a stellar pen. Nor do they have the top of prospects that they can part with given the age of their overall roster. When you look at what next year looks like, they will need to sign Soto. Therefore there won’t be any other significant spending for them. Even for teams like the Yankees and Dodgers, they cannot afford to have an all FA (highly paid players at all positions) roster. They have to have some places/guys where they are spending little.

The team that would most likely have the ability to obtain/outbid us for Milller is the Phillies. And yes your scenario would be in all likelihood true. If they were to add Miller to that team, it would like be lights out for their competition including us, given how good they already are.

20 minutes ago, clapdiddy said:

I would be OK with dealing Kjerstad, but not Mayo.   

Kjerstad, Povich, and Norby for Miller.    Do you do it?

Assuming we can’t get him for less, and he possibly goes to the Yankees if we don’t, yes.   

Why?   Because Miller is an elite talent who has already shown elite results at the ML leven and has 6 years of service time.

Kjerstad could be a legit MOO hitter.

Povich could be a MOR starter.

Norby could be a solid ML regular.

For this year it’s a no brainer because Norby and Povich probably have no roles on this team.  Kjerstad, maybe.

You’re rolling the dice on Miller’s health but the A’s are rolling the dice on 3 “prospects”.   Also we have the prospect depth to deal both Kjerstad and Norby.   Povich hurts some because he could be part of the 2025 rotation.

Elias won’t do this.  I don’t blame him.  He’ll go to plan B, maybe Helsley, and give up a lot less.

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, Satyr3206 said:

I like Miller but that's a pretty high price.

What’s a viable alternative to give us the best chance against the Yankees in October if/when the game turns into a bullpen battle. Right now, they have a much better pen than ours. Are you willing to risk our World Series chances on Cano and Kimbrel?

3 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

The Yankees do not need Miller. They already have a stellar pen. Nor do they have the top of prospects that they can part with given the age of their overall roster. When you look at what next year looks like, they will need to sign Soto. Therefore there won’t be any other significant spending for them. Even for teams like the Yankees and Dodgers, they cannot afford to have an all FA (highly paid players at all positions) roster. They have to have some places/guys where they are spending little.

The team that would most likely have the ability to obtain/outbid us for Milller is the Phillies. And yes your scenario would be in all likelihood true. If they were to add Miller to that team, it would like be lights out for their competition including us, given how good they already are.

The Yankees might not need Miller but he would make the back end of their bullpen elite instead of just very good.   The Yankees, if they sign Soto, I think they can withstand trading Jasson Dominguez and some pitching plus Roderick Arias.

I will say, I'd 100% trade Kjerstad for Miller. His defense is shaky, and that's enough for me to make him the odd man out. Mayo is the better bat, if we are keeping a guy that may end up at DH (or mostly DH). If we can do Kjerstad + Cade Povich + Horvath? If that gets you Mason Miller you really have to consider it. Even if Miller's arm blows out at some point, we are getting essentially 5 1/2 years. Pairing that with Bautista for our WS window is tantalizing.

4 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

The Yankees might not need Miller but he would make the back end of their bullpen elite instead of just very good.   The Yankees, if they sign Soto, I think they can withstand trading Jasson Dominguez and some pitching plus Roderick Arias.

LeMahieu, Stanton, and Rizzo are all FAs after the season as well as Torres and Soto. They are going to need cheap, young talent given their payroll and the increase after a Soto deal.

9 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

What’s a viable alternative to give us the best chance against the Yankees in October if/when the game turns into a bullpen battle. Right now, they have a much better pen than ours. Are you willing to risk our World Series chances on Cano and Kimbrel?

Let’s face it.   You are an “all in guy.   You would sell your soul for a WS championship.  🙂

44 minutes ago, clapdiddy said:

I would be OK with dealing Kjerstad, but not Mayo.   

Kjerstad, Povich, and Norby for Miller.    Do you do it?

I think I would do that deal, I just believe that with Miller's controllable years and the likelihood the A's will have so many suitors bidding, that package falls short of what it will take to acquire him. 

1 hour ago, Jagwar said:

With Miller's performance and contract status, Stowers and Norby would just be throw-ins. (IMO)

Norby probably is a top 3-5 prospect in that organization.  Miller is a big piece and someone you normally want a high level guy for him but honestly with how bad their farm is I would want good quantity over 1 quality guy.  They need to add overall depth to that organization it is that bad.  

1 minute ago, bpilktree said:

Norby probably is a top 3-5 prospect in that organization.  Miller is a big piece and someone you normally want a high level guy for him but honestly with how bad their farm is I would want good quantity over 1 quality guy.  They need to add overall depth to that organization it is that bad.  

If/when the conversation starts between the O's and A's about Miller, I'd be shocked if the A's said "it starts with Norby and Stowers". They are going to want Holliday, Basallo and Mayo. Geez, I wouldn't be surprised if they start the conversation with ML pieces like Cowser and Westburg. 

2 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

LeMahieu, Stanton, and Rizzo are all FAs after the season as well as Torres and Soto. They are going to need cheap, young talent given their payroll and the increase after a Soto deal.

Stanton?   They wish.

And what cheap position players that could help them in 2025 are going in the deal I mentioned?   One.  Dominguez, who’s no guarantee to be anything.   Somehow I think the Yankees will get by with a Tommy Pham or whoever.   

Do you know who else is a FA after this year?  Their closer, Clay Holmes.

1 hour ago, Bemorewins said:

We can laugh all we want, but if we don’t infuse some high end talent to the back of that bullpen, the joke will be on us in October. Relying on Kimbrel and Cano night after night (round after round) in the Fall is not a recipe for success IMO.

No one reliever is worth emptying the farm. Get somebody else with less control. 

49 minutes ago, Rbiggs2525 said:

Cano and Bradish were basically the bag of balls in respective trades.

I don't know why some folks assume that a Cano or Bradish were basically throw-ins in the trades we did.  Just because we may not have heard of them on here prior to the trades does not mean that Elias didn't ask specifically to have either, or both, included in the trades.  I would bet that we had scouting info on both of those guys that led us to believe they could be very useful for us.  

10 minutes ago, Jagwar said:

I think I would do that deal, I just believe that with Miller's controllable years and the likelihood the A's will have so many suitors bidding, that package falls short of what it will take to acquire him. 

What prospect that is ranked higher then Kjerstadt is a team gonna give up.   

The Yankees have nothing to give up their two highest guys are Dominguez coming back from injury and Jones struggling in AA.  

The Guardians always build from within so they are not really in the trade conversation.  

The Royals have 1 guy a catcher in the top 100 who is just 19 in A ball. 

The Twins have some nice prospects but are similar to Guardians with not trading away young guys.

The Mariners have the farm but there issue is batting and where they should be concentrated on.  

The Rangers have the two young outfielders but they are off limits then 1 guy in the top 100 at 65.  

The Braves farm is god awful and bullpen not a weakness.  

The Phillies are one team I can see making a push for him and have the prospects to get him if they want him.  

The Brewers have some pieces they can trade but again like Cleveland not usually super aggressive in trading prospects.

The Cubs have lots of prospects but I feel they are where we were 2 years ago in trying to sort out what all they have first as their GM has said they are looking at more 25-26 seasons.  If they change courses they are a player for sure.   

The Cardinals are an aging team with only a few fringe top 100 prospects and should be trying to trade away a few of their older pieces.  

The Dodgers farm is pretty much depleted though they are always aggressive they don’t have much unless they offer some young major league pitching.

The Giants have Luciano but not lot after him and he is probably untouchable.  

The Padres don’t have anything in their farm besides Salas and a few very young prospects a long way away.  

The top level teams competing this year don’t have a lot of prospects left so we shouldn’t be competing with huge offers unless the Cubs or Phillies decide to go in.  

3 minutes ago, bpilktree said:

What prospect that is ranked higher then Kjerstadt is a team gonna give up.   

The Yankees have nothing to give up their two highest guys are Dominguez coming back from injury and Jones struggling in AA.  

The Guardians always build from within so they are not really in the trade conversation.  

The Royals have 1 guy a catcher in the top 100 who is just 19 in A ball. 

The Twins have some nice prospects but are similar to Guardians with not trading away young guys.

The Mariners have the farm but there issue is batting and where they should be concentrated on.  

The Rangers have the two young outfielders but they are off limits then 1 guy in the top 100 at 65.  

The Braves farm is god awful and bullpen not a weakness.  

The Phillies are one team I can see making a push for him and have the prospects to get him if they want him.  

The Brewers have some pieces they can trade but again like Cleveland not usually super aggressive in trading prospects.

The Cubs have lots of prospects but I feel they are where we were 2 years ago in trying to sort out what all they have first as their GM has said they are looking at more 25-26 seasons.  If they change courses they are a player for sure.   

The Cardinals are an aging team with only a few fringe top 100 prospects and should be trying to trade away a few of their older pieces.  

The Dodgers farm is pretty much depleted though they are always aggressive they don’t have much unless they offer some young major league pitching.

The Giants have Luciano but not lot after him and he is probably untouchable.  

The Padres don’t have anything in their farm besides Salas and a few very young prospects a long way away.  

The top level teams competing this year don’t have a lot of prospects left so we shouldn’t be competing with huge offers unless the Cubs or Phillies decide to go in.  

I think you make great points, but you need to remember that Miller is NOT a rental.   He is an elite talent with 6 years of control.