Go get Kopech..and other potential BP additions

23 minutes ago, Jagwar said:

I suppose the logic would be Oakland looking for multiple controllable players to improve their ML roster and their farm system. The more teams bidding for Miller the better for OAK.  

Doesn't make much sense to me. Has a rebuilding team ever traded a player with as many year of control as Miller? 

12 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

Doesn't make much sense to me. Has a rebuilding team ever traded a player with as many year of control as Miller? 

By Ken Rosenthal

May 9, 2024

Naturally, teams are calling the Oakland Athletics with trade interest in their 100 mph closer, right-hander Mason Miller. And naturally, the A’s are asking for a ton in return.

No team has come close to meeting the A’s price, according to a team source. Perhaps no team will. Miller, 25, is not only Oakland’s best young player, but also their best player, period. To acquire him, a team likely would need to give up a young player of comparable ability, or a substantial package of multiple youngsters who could be part of the A’s future.

3 hours ago, RZNJ said:

Let’s face it.   You are an “all in guy.   You would sell your soul for a WS championship.  🙂

No, not my soul. That’s way too high a cost. But maybe a kidney? Lol

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, RZNJ said:

Stanton?   They wish.

And what cheap position players that could help them in 2025 are going in the deal I mentioned?   One.  Dominguez, who’s no guarantee to be anything.   Somehow I think the Yankees will get by with a Tommy Pham or whoever.   

Do you know who else is a FA after this year?  Their closer, Clay Holmes.

Exactly. So they are going to need some cheap labor.

3 hours ago, dystopia said:

No one reliever is worth emptying the farm. Get somebody else with less control. 

We won’t have to “empty the farm” for any one player. I’m not even sure what “emptying the farm” even means. Mayo or Kjerstad + a couple lower tier prospects does not equate to the farm. Nor are they worth forsaking a great chance or two at a World Seres championship IMO.

2 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Mason Miller is cheap labor.  

He is. But the will have multiple holes to fill. Yes Miller is better than Holmes. But by how much? And is that difference worth one of their few top/cheap position player prospects when they already have an excellent pen and the best record in the AL?

Just now, Bemorewins said:

He is. But the will have multiple holes to fill. Yes Miller is better than Holmes. But by how much? And is that difference worth one of their few top/cheap position player prospects when they already have an excellent pen and the best record in the AL?

Even the Yankees have to think about more than this year.

41 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

For this year it has nothing to do between the difference of Holmes and Miller.    It just adds an elite reliever.   Who’s going to close for them next year?   Whoever it is, likely costs some dough.   It helps them this year and the future.   In the meantime they can use their 250-300M payroll to find role players to put around Volpe, Stanton, Judge, and Soto.   Not saying they would do it but it makes sense.   

1 minute ago, RZNJ said:

For this year it has nothing to do between the difference of Holmes and Miller.    It just adds an elite reliever.   Who’s going to close for them next year?   Whoever it is, likely costs some dough.   It helps them this year and the future.   In the meantime they can use their 250-300M payroll to find role players to put around Volpe, Stanton, Judge, and Soto.   Not saying they would do it but it makes sense.   

I would be very surprised if the Yankees outbid the rest of the contending teams (most especially us and the Phils) to land Miller. I'm not saying that they couldn't try, but it makes very little sense to me that they even would considering the roster needs for 2025 AND the reality that in 2024 they already have a dominant/excellent pen. 

Schmidt or Gil could be used as a closer as they both have strike out stuff as starters (especially Gil) when Cole returns as a starter next season. I believe only Cortes is a pending FA from their rotation.

Either way, I really don't care about what they do or do not do. I just want us to beat them in October if/when it comes to that.