Snyder looks to be our LT 1B solution

JTrea81

At least this is what it now seems like in Fordin's latest:

I think he's going to hit enough to play in the big leagues and play first base.
The Orioles like him at first base, and the recent move of fellow first-round Draft pick Billy Rowell isn't likely to change that. Snyder might not be a classic first baseman in terms of light-tower power, but Baltimore sees his consistent line-drive stroke and athletic nature and thinks that he could be a potential fast-riser.

His defense is absolutely horrid at 1B, yet the Orioles continue to insist he can play there. Meanwhile we don't have another 3B man in the system besides Moore and Snyder isn't being considered for that spot even though that is where he wants to play. The Orioles continue to try to put the square peg in the round hole... :rolleyes:

First base is a .850-.900+ OPS position, and I doubt Snyder can deliver that and play good defense...

• Replies 318
  • Created
  • Last Reply

His defense is absolutely horrid at 1B, yet the Orioles continue to insist he can play there. Meanwhile we don't have another 3B man in the system besides Moore and Snyder isn't being considered for that spot even though that is where he wants to play. The Orioles continue to try to put the square peg in the round hole... :rolleyes:

First base is a .850-.900+ OPS position, and I doubt Snyder can deliver that and play good defense...

Fordin may think that but I;m not sure the O's agree. \

"Brandon Snyder took ground balls at third base. Ryan Freel took grounders at shortstop and third."

http://masnsports.com/2009/03/sifting-through-my-notebook.html

Fordin may think that but I;m not sure the O's agree. \

"Brandon Snyder took ground balls at third base. Ryan Freel took grounders at shortstop and third."

http://masnsports.com/2009/03/sifting-through-my-notebook.html

Javy Lopez took grounders at 1B too, but that didn't mean much...

If Trembley is saying 1st base, then they are looking at him at 1B. He is Plan B to Tex with the Orioles not having a Plan C-Z...

If Trembley is saying 1st base, then they are looking at him at 1B...

and the Orioles took at look at Lopez playing first and decided it wasn't going to work. What is wrong with doing the same with Snyder? That's why you have the minors...

and the Orioles took at look at Lopez playing first and decided it wasn't going to work. What is wrong with doing the same with Snyder? That's why you have the minors...

Well he's committed 22 errors in 147 games in the minors including 11 in 83 games last season and 6 errors in the AFL at the position. I think they've got their look.

BA's take from their 2009 Prospect Handbook:

He's a below-average first baseman because of poor range and footwork

If indeed his defense at 1B is horrible (which seems an overstatement, based on what I've been reading on the board), is there any logical basis to expect his defense to be better at 3B? Or am I asking such a question to the wrong guy?

Assumption City ... I'm willing to bet you have never actually seen the kid play ball and yet he is "horrid" at 1B. You also assume that while he is "horrid" at 1B, he is the long term answer at 3B. You also assume that he has little chance to be an .850 OPS guy.

Why don't you just let the thing play out.

If Trembley is saying 1st base, then they are looking at him at 1B. He is Plan B to Tex with the Orioles not having a Plan C-Z...

It's so nice of you to visit us from hyperbole land, where surely you are a monarch of sorts.

Well he's committed 22 errors in 147 games in the minors including 11 in 83 games last season and 6 errors in the AFL at the position. I think they've got their look.

BA's take from their 2009 Prospect Handbook:

He hasn't played 1B for all that long and seems to have gotten into a lot better shape and is quicker this spring from what some said the other day in a game thread.

Aubrey Huff prefers third base too. Just because he likes it doesn't mean we should play him there.

I'd like you to tell me how many innings you have seen Snyder play 1B.

Comparing JTrea's attitude now to what it was during the Tex saga is truly night and day. Look, if people thought he could play third, I am pretty sure he can at least be a competent 1B with enough work at the position. Footwork can be fixed.

Archived