Snyder looks to be our LT 1B solution

JTrea81

Well he's committed 22 errors in 147 games in the minors including 11 in 83 games last season and 6 errors in the AFL at the position. I think they've got their look.

BA's take from their 2009 Prospect Handbook:

Well Cal's original scouting report from 1978 says "plays SS but lack of fluid mobility will limit prospect here"

Link

• Replies 318
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Assumption City ... I'm willing to bet you have never actually seen the kid play ball and yet he is "horrid" at 1B. You also assume that while he is "horrid" at 1B, he is the long term answer at 3B. You also assume that he has little chance to be an .850 OPS guy.

Why don't you just let the thing play out.

I've seen the errors he's made and the and the resulting scouting reports. They all can't be wrong and the Orioles right can they?

Sticking Snyder at 1B seems like a copout to avoid actually looking for a first baseman. To take a phrase from SG: it's a "lazy" move...

I've seen the errors he's made and the and the resulting scouting reports. They all can't be wrong and the Orioles right can they?

Sticking Snyder at 1B seems like a copout to avoid actually looking for a first baseman. To take a phrase from SG: it's a "lazy" move...

Why would the organization not want to find the best firstbaseman they could find? Financial reasons? Laziness?

So he is a bad defensive player and you want to move him from one of the easier defensive positions to a more difficult one by most people's standards. 1B is where most infielders move when they can't cut it at other positions. Would you rather they make him the "DH of the future?" I also don't understand why it is so imperative to get a 1B of the future in right now when we have Huff there in 2009 and if he isn't extended we have Wigginton to play there in 2010. There is also the chance that Reimold or Scott is moved there if Pie works out. We have options. It is also possible, just possible that Snyder's defense improves and he develops into an .875 OPS 1B. Look at his stats and Markakis's stats for High A at age 21 and they look pretty similar. Of course Snyder needs to be more patient and make better contact, but really he is just 22, let the kid develop more.

Face it Sly, you won't be happy with anyone at first base who's numbers don't mirror ya boy's numbers.

Take a breath, dude.

You're the only guy I know who can read an article and be so certain about the Orioles long term plans. You should really fire up an 800 number. Ms. Cleo needs some competition.

This is ridiculous even for you my man.

Your (original) post is almost offensively biased. I've tried to take each one of your posts on its own merits following the Teixeira debacle but this is just silly. I'm not going to commend you for "sticking to your guns" or "being willing to take the punches" because you're just making assumptions with no basis in reality and that display a truly incredible bias. I'm pretty open-minded and tolerant, and willing to be educated, but what you're doing here is not actually public debate anymore.

At least this is what it now seems like in Fordin's latest.

His defense is absolutely horrid at 1B, yet the Orioles continue to insist he can play there. Meanwhile we don't have another 3B man in the system besides Moore and Snyder isn't being considered for that spot even though that is where he wants to play. The Orioles continue to try to put the square peg in the round hole... :rolleyes:

First base is a .850-.900+ OPS position, and I doubt Snyder can deliver that and play good defense...

You understand that if a player can't stick at a position but has a ML bat, they get moved to an easier position, right? And what player wouldn't want to play at the more 'glamorous' position (e.g. Luke Scott wanting to play LF)? I'm not saying it's an ego thing, but players constantly have to showcase their talent to prospective employers. I'm sure Snyder knows he's worth more as a 3B than a 1B.

Of course, I haven't seen sources on any 'Snyder wants to play 3B' quotes, so for all I know they're the standard 'I'll play wherever the teams puts me' cliches.

And, finally, the obvious that others have stated, if he can't play a competent 1B (or learn to do so) he definitely can't stick at 3B anyway.

Then, the awesome subliminally-messaged assumption that Mark Teixeira was Plan A, and, having failed to do the right thing by signing him, the O's fall back on Snyder because they're stupid.

And then turning "the Orioles like him at first base" and Fordin's "I think he's going to hit enough to be a ML 1B" into "the O's have decided that Snyder is our 1B of the future. As per usual in these situations they will now stop pursuing all other options at 1B." I mean, if you actually believe those two quotes, then calm down, because Spencer Fordin thinks he'll be a solid ML 1B! If you are cherrypicking whatever information supports your bizarre Crusade-Of-The-Day™, then I'm disappointed but not surprised.

And finally, the crown jewel, is you making all these assumptions off a Spencer Fordin article. I have nothing against the guy, but do you know who does? I bet you do! It's like looking in a mirror, isn't it.

If Fordin had written an article about why Matusz was such a good choice, you would be all over him so fast your keyboard would start to Smoak.

Your (original) post is almost offensively biased. I've tried to take each one of your posts on its own merits following the Teixeira debacle but this is just silly. I'm not going to commend you for "sticking to your guns" or "being willing to take the punches" because you're just making assumptions with no basis in reality and that display a truly incredible bias. I'm pretty open-minded and tolerant, and willing to be educated, but what you're doing here is not actually public debate anymore.

You understand that if a player can't stick at a position but has a ML bat, they get moved to an easier position, right? And what player wouldn't want to play at the more 'glamorous' position (e.g. Luke Scott wanting to play LF)? I'm not saying it's an ego thing, but players constantly have to showcase their talent to prospective employers. I'm sure Snyder knows he's worth more as a 3B than a 1B.

Of course, I haven't seen sources on any 'Snyder wants to play 3B' quotes, so for all I know they're the standard 'I'll play wherever the teams puts me' cliches.

And, finally, the obvious that others have stated, if he can't play a competent 1B (or learn to do so) he definitely can't stick at 3B anyway.

Then, the awesome subliminally-messaged assumption that Mark Teixeira was Plan A, and, having failed to do the right thing by signing him, the O's fall back on Snyder because they're stupid.

And then turning "the Orioles like him at first base" and Fordin's "I think he's going to hit enough to be a ML 1B" into "the O's have decided that Snyder is our 1B of the future. As per usual in these situations they will now stop pursuing all other options at 1B." I mean, if you actually believe those two quotes, then calm down, because Spencer Fordin thinks he'll be a solid ML 1B! If you are cherrypicking whatever information supports your bizarre Crusade-Of-The-Day™, then I'm disappointed but not surprised.

And finally, the crown jewel, is you making all these assumptions off a Spencer Fordin article. I have nothing against the guy, but do you know who does? I bet you do! It's like looking in a mirror, isn't it.

If Fordin had written an article about why Matusz was such a good choice, you would be all over him so fast your keyboard would start to Smoak.

This is a GREAT post that will entirely miss its intended audience.

Meanwhile we don't have another 3B man in the system besides Moore and Snyder isn't being considered for that spot even though that is where he wants to play. The Orioles continue to try to put the square peg in the round hole... :rolleyes:

Did you not understand this argument after the whole Smoak/Matusz debate? It is the same argument that is being used for Rowell. Just because there is limited options at a said position doesnt mean we should stunt a player's growth or not let him develop to his maximum.

Just because there is an opening at 3B doesn't mean Snyder should be moved there. And isnt "square peg in the round hole." If there is a square peg it is your insistent notion that you fill areas of need before doing what is developmentally right for a player or the organization.

SG never did. JTrea is using one of SG's hyperbole's of it is the "lazy" way. No that that really means anything except a way to bash the Orioles for something.

While SG does like to use that phrase, I'll give him credit when credit is due...he usually gets it right.

JTrea failed miserably on that one.

And they Javy Lopez comp is just ridiculous and flat out wrong. Snyder has shown himself to be a hard worker and has really bounced back and regained status as a prospect.

Javy was on his last leg as a catcher, pretty lazy and IIRC, grumbled about the move to first.

No comp there.

Snyder has the work ethic....and yet the Trea just leaps to conclusions because his last name isn't Smoak or Teixeira.

jump_to_conclusions.jpg

JTrea = lightning rod.

You do have some thick skin. I give you credit for that. And rep for that.

I've never neg repped anyone in my life, and I almost did just for that! :D

Some people get to the point where they aren't even comic relief anymore. Negativity just for the sake of being negative is not a virtue.

Archived