Snyder looks to be our LT 1B solution

JTrea81

I dunno, his career .775 MiL OPS is not a good sign. Is it possible he develops into an .850 OPS guy? It seems like a long shot. Or at least, his track record is a good reason to think he won't be an .850 - .900 OPS guy.

Ignore the year he had shoulder surgery and pay attention to what he did in the HWL and the AFL the last two winters, and you get a very different picture.

• Replies 318
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On what basis?
Has anyone actually seen Snyder play 1B? Or is this all spectulation based on MiL defensive stats(hardly trustworthy) and scouting reports? JTrea claims to have witnessed everyone of his errors so he ought to know something.:rolleyestf:

That's not the way I remember it. Lopez reportedly looked passable at 1B during the WBC, but looked absolutely lost when playing there during ST, after the WBC.

Well, I never saw him in ST, but from what I saw on TV during the WBC he did surprisingly well. I think he made one E, but he seemed way more comfortable there than I would have thought, and made a couple good plays on sharp GB's. Anyway, water under the bridge, doesn't matter now, so never mind. I was mainly trying to take my mind off some of the things that have been said here.

Face it Sly, you won't be happy with anyone at first base who's numbers don't mirror ya boy's numbers.

Take a look at all the first baseman and see what the competition is fielding at that position.

Of course, I haven't seen sources on any 'Snyder wants to play 3B' quotes, so for all I know they're the standard 'I'll play wherever the teams puts me' cliches.

From Snyder himself:

However I have been working at third every day before games and it is coming along very well and I actually feel much more comfortable at the "hot" corner.

And again in the Fordin article:

"I love playing third base, and it's probably my favorite place to play, but if I can play first base in the big leagues, so be it. ... I hope I do get a chance to play a little more third, but like I said, wherever I can make the lineup, that's what I want to do."

Then, the awesome subliminally-messaged assumption that Mark Teixeira was Plan A, and, having failed to do the right thing by signing him, the O's fall back on Snyder because they're stupid.

No, the O's fall back on Snyder because that's the easy way out. Just like signing a bunch of dreck pitchers and question marks instead of spending money and signing some solid pitchers.

And then turning "the Orioles like him at first base" and Fordin's "I think he's going to hit enough to be a ML 1B" into "the O's have decided that Snyder is our 1B of the future. As per usual in these situations they will now stop pursuing all other options at 1B." I mean, if you actually believe those two quotes, then calm down, because Spencer Fordin thinks he'll be a solid ML 1B! If you are cherrypicking whatever information supports your bizarre Crusade-Of-The-Day™, then I'm disappointed but not surprised.

It's not Fordin, those words come from Dave Trembley himself. I'll give you the whole context:

He's always had the uncanny ability to hit the ball with authority the other way," said manager Dave Trembley. "I think that was a real thing that stood out. ... I think he's going to hit enough to play in the big leagues and play first base. He got himself in tremendous shape this winter, and he's a very likeable young man."

Take a look at all the first baseman and see what the competition is fielding at that position.

Well, let's see... there's Huff this year and Wigginton next year if Huff leaves, plus Luke Scott has taken grounders over there, too.

True to form, you're overreacting... but this time you're overreacting to something positive, which baffles me.

Face it, you won't be happy until you figure out a way to turn back the clock and either sign Teixeira or draft Smoak.

It ain't happenin'. Deal with it.

Lots of guys who can't cut it move from 3rd to 1st -- Thome, Konerko, and the beloved Tex to name a few. I can't think of anyone who was a first baseman and moved to 3rd. As has been said earlier, if he's not so hot at 1st, why would anyone think he'd be better at the more difficult position? Of course, the biggest question is what possible motivation would the team have for not trying it if they thought there was any hope? The idea that they are just "lazy" can't be taken seriously.

I think this is the first time a player has basically said "I'll do whatever it takes to play in the bigs and stick there...."

And someone has a problem with that attitude.

Trea, you continue to astound me on an almost daily basis. Just when I think you can't top yourself, you just...go over the top.

Well, let's see... there's Huff this year and Wigginton next year if Huff leaves, plus Luke Scott has taken grounders over there, too.

True to form, you're overreacting... but this time you're overreacting to something positive, which baffles me.

Face it, you won't be happy until you figure out a way to turn back the clock and either sign Teixeira or draft Smoak.

It ain't happenin'. Deal with it.

I'll take Ackley if he falls to us, but the Orioles will probably pass and draft a pitcher and just go with Snyder, I can see it happening...

I just want us to fix first base with a first baseman that can put up the #'s a first baseman is supposed to. It always seems we are trying to do the least amount of work possible to fill that position. Snyder just seems like another patch to a gaping hole...

I think this is the first time a player has basically said "I'll do whatever it takes to play in the bigs and stick there...."

And someone has a problem with that attitude.

Trea, you continue to astound me on an almost daily basis. Just when I think you can't top yourself, you just...go over the top.

I have a problem with the Orioles forcing a player to play a position they don't want really want to play and aren't that good at playing defensively or comfortable playing to try to fill a hole without going outside the organization.

I'll take Ackley if he falls to us, but the Orioles will probably pass and draft a pitcher and just go with Snyder, I can see it happening...

I just want us to fix first base with a first baseman that can put up the #'s a first baseman is supposed to. It always seems we are trying to do the least amount of work possible to fill that position. Snyder just seems like another patch to a gaping hole...

I noticed you ignored my questions...

From Snyder himself:

And again in the Fordin article:

No, the O's fall back on Snyder because that's the easy way out. Just like signing a bunch of dreck pitchers and question marks instead of spending money and signing some solid pitchers.

It's not Fordin, those words come from Dave Trembley himself. I'll give you the whole context:

Not to squeeze the tar baby here, but could DT have been saying that Snyder could hit well enough to put up the numbers of a 1B? Like saying Pie could hit well enough to play CF but not LF?

Is 1B more of a gaping hole than our starting pitching? I think not. Are you going on record as saying that Snyder has no chance of being as good a ML hitter as Justin Smoak? I'd just like to get it on record. :)

In our organization you bet 1B is more of a gaping hole.

And yes Justin Smoak will be a much better hitter and defender than Brandon Snyder.

We can make up for his lack of power (assuming there IS a lack of power) with what we get from our catcher.

I think you're really reaching to convince yourself that Snyder isn't going to be any good.

In our organization you bet 1B is more of a gaping hole.

And yes Justin Smoak will be a much better hitter and defender than Brandon Snyder.

First base will never EVER be more of a gaping hole than pitching in ANY organization! You can never have enough pitching, regardless of what you might think.

Archived