Snyder looks to be our LT 1B solution

JTrea81

• Replies 318
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I have a problem with the Orioles forcing a player to play a position they don't want really want to play and aren't that good at playing defensively or comfortable playing to try to fill a hole without going outside the organization.

Trea, it's basic human psychology.

First of all, I'm sure that the Orioles aren't forcing him to do anything. If Snyder wanted to stick at third, he could speak up for himself. Let's not forget we drafted him as a catcher. He's said he wants to do whatever it takes to get to the bigs.

Second, the kid is working hard at it, something you won't give him credit for.

Third, you refuse to acknowledge the fact that he can improve his defense. He's a minor league 1st baseman, it's not like he's our opening day starter for 2009.

Fourth, you don't get the fact that he doesn't like first base because he's not good at it. It's basic human psychology 101 to know that people don't like things they're not good at. However if one practices and makes themselves better at whatever the task is, they'll like it...cause naturally, people like the things they're good at.

Fifth, you still can't get off the Teixera/Smoak thing. If Snyder does in fact put up a .900 OPS at the big league level with average first base defense, will you really complain?

Yes, of course you will.

Lots of guys who can't cut it move from 3rd to 1st -- Thome, Konerko, and the beloved Tex to name a few. I can't think of anyone who was a first baseman and moved to 3rd.

Weaver really wanted to do it with Eddie Murray, and they tried it briefly, but EM never got comfortable with it.

We can make up for his lack of power (assuming there IS a lack of power) with what we get from our catcher.

I think you're really reaching to convince yourself that Snyder isn't going to be any good.

And I think some fans are reaching to convince themselves how good Snyder is actually going to be.

He hasn't gone through Bowie yet and still K's a ton...

He's not a premium 1B prospect. For example the Jays have a 2008 1st rounder David Cooper who tore up A ball last year in limited ABs. Snyder has yet to put up a .850+ OPS over a full season at any level above Bluefield.

In our organization you bet 1B is more of a gaping hole.

And yes Justin Smoak will be a much better hitter and defender than Brandon Snyder.

We need 5-6 good SP to contend. We need 1 Kevin Millar circa 2004 at 1B to contend. I would submit that 1B is never a gaping hole in comparison to SP.

And I think some fans are reaching to convince themselves how good Snyder is actually going to be.

He hasn't gone through Bowie yet and still K's a ton...

He's not a premium 1B prospect. For example the Jays have a 2008 1st rounder David Cooper who tore up A ball last year in limited ABs. Snyder has yet to put up a .850+ OPS over a full season at any level above Bluefield.

I notice you're still ignoring my questions.

Tore up A ball or tore up low A ball? Being that Cooper is the same age as Snyder (22) and that Snyder had a higher OPS than Cooper (.848 to .808) at high A ball, I don't see how you can call one a premium prospect (the .808 player) and not the other (the .848). Not only that, but Cooper shows less power than Snyder at this point. Maybe you know something that I dont'. I sure hope not. :o

RZNJ WINS THE THREAD!!!!

Lock it down!

In our organization you bet 1B is more of a gaping hole.

And yes Justin Smoak will be a much better hitter and defender than Brandon Snyder.

At the moment, based on Smoak's early performance, I think the odds that Smoak will be better offensively and defensively than Snyder are pretty good. Smoak is off to a very promising start.

Where we part ways is your idea that Snyder won't hit well enough to be a good 1B. You have this tendency to ignore points you can't answer, so I will ask again: since Snyder hit .942 in the HWL, .848 in the Carolina League, and 1.047 in the AFL, all at an age where he was one of the younger players in the league, why are you so sure he won't put up an .850 - .900 OPS as a major leaguer? Snyder's OPS was very close to Markakis' at the same age at Frederick, and much better than Markakis in the AFL. He's also looked good when given the chance vs. high level pitching this spring.

You drastically underrate Snyder IMO.

I think we all can agree that we greatly respect the opinion of Doc Shorebird....Am I right about that?

If I am right about that, then do we put any weight in what he said about Synder looking much more comfortable at third this spring?

I don't get the idea of not trying Synder more at third...You have to see if he can handle it.

Now, the other side to this(which could be the Orioles thinking) is that the Orioles think Snyder is our starting first baseman in 2010...That he is closer to contributing in the majors as a first baseman than a third baseman and because of that, they are putting him there in anticipation he can be a regular starting in 2010.

All of this being said, I am much more concerned with Snyder's plate discipline and his ability to hit at the upper levels.

At the moment, based on Smoak's early performance, I think the odds that Smoak will be better offensively and defensively than Snyder are pretty good. Smoak is off to a very promising start.

Where we part ways is your idea that Snyder won't hit well enough to be a good 1B. You have this tendency to ignore points you can't answer, so I will ask again: since Snyder hit .942 in the HWL, .848 in the Carolina League, and 1.047 in the AFL, all at an age where he was one of the younger players in the league, why are you so sure he won't put up an .850 - .900 OPS as a major leaguer? Snyder's OPS was very close to Markakis' at the same age at Frederick, and much better than Markakis in the AFL. He's also looked good when given the chance vs. high level pitching this spring.

You drastically underrate Snyder IMO.

I don't care if Snyder can hit for power as a first baseman...If he can be an 850+ OPS guy at first, I will be happy with that.

That being said, if his slugging isn't going to be great, can he give us a consistent 350+ OBP in the majors?

He hasn't gone through Bowie yet...

You know who else fits these two criteria?

Jacob Arrieta. Brian Matusz.

It's good to see you've come around to letting players get their seasoning in the minors before throwing them in the fire and anointing them as our saviors. It touches me.

I don't care if Snyder can hit for power as a first baseman...If he can be an 850+ OPS guy at first, I will be happy with that.

That being said, if his slugging isn't going to be great, can he give us a consistent 350+ OBP in the majors?

I think it's going to turn on whether he's able to become slightly more selective at the plate. I'm pretty sure he will be able to hit .290 - .300 in the big leagues after a year or two, it's his BB rate that will be the question.

His SLG will be better than many think - his 2B/HR combo profiles much like Nick Markakis.

I think we all can agree that we greatly respect the opinion of Doc Shorebird....Am I right about that?

If I am right about that, then do we put any weight in what he said about Synder looking much more comfortable at third this spring?

I don't get the idea of not trying Synder more at third...You have to see if he can handle it.

Now, the other side to this(which could be the Orioles thinking) is that the Orioles think Snyder is our starting first baseman in 2010...That he is closer to contributing in the majors as a first baseman than a third baseman and because of that, they are putting him there in anticipation he can be a regular starting in 2010.

That doesn't really make a heck of a lot of sense because Snyder has shown he is a much better defender at the hot corner than at 1B and we have holes at both corners after 2010. And you don't want Wigginton at 3B full time in 2010 anyway. Put the guy where he is comfortable and a better defender. He's likely to hit better at 3B as well because he likes it better. Granted we still have Moore, but he can be a decent defender at either corner.

Archived