Calling McNutty

Wow, that's a loaded question.

Outside of the talent on the field, he's been a total headcase so far. I heard/read rumblings of him quitting on his baseball team mid-season of his freshman year. I think he was pretty close to leaving school at that point as well.

That aside, on the field I think he's got some real ML potential. The speed is there, no question, and its plays in CF (even though Tyler Holt is currently holding it down). I think the bat has enough in it to make him a prospect. But I really question his commitment to baseball (and football, for that matter), and a solid commitment is the only thing that's going to get him to live up to his potential.

I think he could be Shane Robinson with enough size to actually project above a fourth outfielder. However, there's a ton of things he's got to work on this season; but its not impossible for him to put together a great season and turn some heads.

All of that said, that's my recollection of him from 07. Haven't gotten to see the Noles yet this year in person.

What did you think about him Stotle?

To put it in Orioles terms, I think he's a mixture of Avery and Hudson. He's still raw, but his tools are absolutely incredible. The big question for me is whether or not he wants to focus on baseball. He isn't going to refine his game to the extent necessary to thrive as a pro unless he's willing to throw everything into baseball.

That said, his bat speed is plus and there's enough leverage and hand/eye coordination to project him to plus-hitting and potentially plus-power (though his swing is currently geared to gap-power, where his speed would play huge. His approach is fringy and he needs to learn strikezone command and pitch-ID (which will only come with reps against better competition). His batspeed will help him a lot with this, too. He obviously has the range for CF and his routes look pretty solid (I had heard he was lost a bit his freshman year). Didn't see him show off his arm too much, but from what I've heard he has plenty for RF.

I could see him anywhere from the 5th to the 2nd round depending on his spring and his interactions with scouts. If teams think he's serious about becoming a baseball player, he could go earlier than his current refinement warrants (like Hewitt last year). Anywhere from a non-prospect to an all-star. I'm really excited to see more of him.

Wow, this spring? I was under the assumption that he'd at least need to use his senior year to continue refining his game. I suppose he'd get better instruction and more out of it in rookie ball anyways.

Honestly, after I posted what I put last night I started to question myself. The tools are there but I'd be shocked if he puts in the effort necessary. You think his bat can play up to plus power? Interesting.

Wow, this spring? I was under the assumption that he'd at least need to use his senior year to continue refining his game. I suppose he'd get better instruction and more out of it in rookie ball anyways.

Honestly, after I posted what I put last night I started to question myself. The tools are there but I'd be shocked if he puts in the effort necessary. You think his bat can play up to plus power? Interesting.

Yeah, I do. Same way I think Avery's could. His approach is raw enough that his drafting team could pretty much shape it as they see fit, and he has the bat speed and core strength to eventually put out plus power. I think 50 power with gap-to-gap is more likely.

He's eligible this year (I believe), no? As I said above, it all depends on how he presents himself to scouts and whether he wants to put in the work. I'm with you, right now, as a non-believer. As a "tools" man, I really like him.

Yeah, I do. Same way I think Avery's could. His approach is raw enough that his drafting team could pretty much shape it as they see fit, and he has the bat speed and core strength to eventually put out plus power. I think 50 power with gap-to-gap is more likely.

He's eligible this year (I believe), no? As I said above, it all depends on how he presents himself to scouts and whether he wants to put in the work. I'm with you, right now, as a non-believer. As a "tools" man, I really like him.

As long as losing a year of eligibility due to academic reasons doesn't contradict the 3 years removed from high school, he should most definitely be draft eligible.

I stand by my Shane Robinson comp. I think he can bat well over 400 in college as a senior and steal a ton of bases (at a high percentage), all the while playing great D. But if you think he's got a shot at 50 on the power, man, he would make a great 4th-6th round pick.

D'Vo and the Stidham experiment at short are the two things I'll be looking to keep an eye on this year with the Noles.

As long as losing a year of eligibility due to academic reasons doesn't contradict the 3 years removed from high school, he should most definitely be draft eligible.

I stand by my Shane Robinson comp. I think he can bat well over 400 in college as a senior and steal a ton of bases (at a high percentage), all the while playing great D. But if you think he's got a shot at 50 on the power, man, he would make a great 4th-6th round pick.

D'Vo and the Stidham experiment at short are the two things I'll be looking to keep an eye on this year with the Noles.

I'm pretty sure his age bumps him out of the "three year" rule, anyway. Yeah, I think average power is attainable.

Wait, you saw him recently and didn't call me? I'm hurt, man. Next time you are 'round these parts I expect a call so I can buy you a beverage. :D

Haha. Actually, it was just video from a game earlier this year. I'm tentatively planning a FL trip, but it prbably won't be until after the draft and will focus on FSL and GCL minors games. Next year I hope to head down there for draft stuff -- depends on how my writing/advance scout work is progressing.

• 3 months later...

I am bumping this because our man Stotle was right on the money. Despite D'Vo playing only against left handed pitching (and getting benched in favor of a guy who frustrated me to no end for 4 years AND hit 269 this year with limited power/average defense in RF), our man Stotle saw the tools and promise here.

So did another team that has an outstanding draft history, the Brewers, who took him in round 5.

The next time anyone around here wants to question Stotle's credentials, or his ability, I'm going to link them to this thread. Tip O' the cap sir. Well done.

Check out more info on D'Vo here if you want to check the validity of anything we've said here.

Archived