It’s a slump. It happens. Some thoughts.

eddie83

3 hours ago, LGOrioles said:

Gunnar did the same thing the first few months last year too while striking out 31% of the time through June. His xwOBACON is elite (8th in MLB among batters with 100 PA’s). He just needs to make some adjustments like Gunnar did last year. 

Saying he needs to make adjustments just like Gunnar is probably not fair. Gunnar is a far superior player, and it's not out of the realm of possibility that one (or even more) of our top prospects are going be below average at the MLB level. Nobody hits on every single top prospect.

7 minutes ago, Malike said:

Saying he needs to make adjustments just like Gunnar is probably not fair. Gunnar is a far superior player, and it's not out of the realm of possibility that one (or even more) of our top prospects are going be below average at the MLB level. Nobody hits on every single top prospect.

Gunnar is better and was younger last year than Cowser is this year. I’m just saying that the similarities are there between the two. Last year, Gunnar had strikeout issues through June (31% K rate), looked like he was guessing (13 looking K’s through this date in 2023), but hit the ball hard when he did make contact. 

Cowser has strikeout issues (31.5% K rate), looks like he is guessing at times (9 looking K’s so far this year), but hits the ball hard when he does make contact. He does whiff a lot more than Gunnar so his K rate is going to be higher, and I’m not expecting him to put up the season that Gunnar did last year, but he can still make some adjustments based off the past few weeks. Like you said, not all prospects hit, but even with a high K rate, Cowser’s batted ball quality and defense should make him an above average league player. Just how much better remains to be seen.

7 hours ago, eddie83 said:

Mateo has a .931 OPS vs LHP. Last year it was .746. He can play SS and even some OF.  More than fine for a platoon tyoe player. 

Mayo is does not have a good glove at 3rd. I like Urias but he hasn’t been hitting. 

I agree with you, he has been great as the platoon guy at 2B and offering versatility at SS and CF when needed. But He is playing every day now, not in a platoon role. Hopefully Holliday has earned his and the organizations confidence soon and we can get to a strong platoon 2B situation.

1 hour ago, Rbiggs2525 said:

I agree Gunnar is a better athlete than Cowser but superior no. Max EV is the same and Max sprint speed is the same. Those are power stats.

When you watch both of them play you don’t think this guy (Gunnar) is much better at playing baseball than that guy (Cowser)? 

12 hours ago, scottbbfm said:

You are right, slumps happen and things will be fine   

I still think it’s time to give Mayo a look.  The guy can rake - play Westy at 2nd….Urias isn’t bringing much special to the table.   The problem with that is dropping Urias likely isn’t reversible. And we know Elias doesn’t like that.  

If the Orioles are concerned about Coby's defense at third...DH him and put Ohearn in the OF....or do the reverse...Coby is an athlete and fast...he can cover LF ....this team needs another lethal bat....

Mayo was Orioles player of the Month in April (with Cade Povich as pitcher) of course, it's a lot to expect he'll rake as soon as he gets to the bigs...but right now he's projected to hit about 50 HR and about 120 RBI over a full season in Norfolk.Theres no way he will do that in the majors right away...but if the Orioles play him and he gets, say 25 HR and 80 RBI in the second half...no matter how poorly he plays defense, it would be an upgrade for this lineup. I realize he has some defensive deficiencies but three of his errors were are on throws where runner the beat them out and error was on advance . I think it's time to take a chance and let the kid play...sure, he'll make some mistakes, but the upside is enormous...

16 minutes ago, Roy Firestone said:

Mayo was Orioles player of the Month in April (with Cade Povich as pitcher) of course, it's a lot to expect he'll rake as soon as he gets to the bigs...but right now he's projected to hit about 50 HR and about 120 RBI over a full season in Norfolk.Theres no way he will do that in the majors right away...but if the Orioles play him and he gets, say 25 HR and 80 RBI in the second half...no matter how poorly he plays defense, it would be an upgrade for this lineup. I realize he has some defensive deficiencies but three of his errors were are on throws where runner the beat them out and error was on advance . I think it's time to take a chance and let the kid play...sure, he'll make some mistakes, but the upside is enormous...

I love Mayo as much as anyone, but if he were to put up 25 HR and 80 RBI in half of a season as a 22 year old rookie I would be absolutely floored.  Personally, I'd just hope he can put up a .725+ OPS or so this season once he comes up.

• Upvote 1

I don’t expect Mayo or Kjersted barring injury to play any significant role here to at least after the All Star Break if then.  The Orioles are going to give, Cedric Mullins, Colton Cowser, and Austin Hayes at least to the All Star break consistent playing time.  I see Jackson Holliday if he starts hitting consistently at AAA, as the most likely to get another chance at the major league level before the others.  Mostly because they believe has the most likely chance of being ready to stay up here.  

I believe Cowser's going to get extra investment as he carries the RoY torch for the organization and it is a meaningful asset he is racing for.

Baseball as constant whack a mole - during Cowser AB's, I had noted Brown/Palmer saying it is changeups crushing him.

Last year it seemed like it was anything bendy, and maybe changeups are a smaller hole.    Many of the Driveline trainees are 95 and a slider.

For sure right now Cowser plate appearances are kind of Bugs Bunny theater for any pitcher with a decent changeup.     He might be a good guy to stand in against Grayson for live BP.