Cal thinks Holiday moved to fast through the system

Tony-OH

1 hour ago, bpilktree said:

I was gonna post a thread about that in general not just Orioles though.  The last 7 years or so if you look at the top 10 prospects those that were brought up by 21 or before seemed to struggle once they got to the majors and some have completely fizzled out.  Granted there is exceptions but just Bs a majority a lot of the younger hitters who got to the majors seemed to come up short of reaching the hype they came to majors with.  

Baseball relies so much on mental and technical abilities that it makes it hard to judge against the other big 4 sports of football, Bball, and hockey.  Which are much more reliant on pure size or physical athletic ability.

I think of baseball very similar to the way I think about golf.  Both involve hitting a very small ball with oddly shaped clubs.  It is not so much about pure athletic ability as it is repetition and mental strength.   Of course in the end the best athletes in baseball do well, but how many great golfers are there at age 20, 21, 22, or even 23?  Not many.   It really requires mental toughness as much as anything and as a 20 year old that can be hard to come by without experience.

Just now, Can_of_corn said:

Just left the key part for those that don't care much for reading.

Per usual......You can discount the words of perhaps the greatest Oriole of all time just to make internet drama.

I sir, will not. 

Posted (edited)

I dunno .. Didn't think Cal was making any sorta strong argument against bringing him up in the first place or even challenging the move.  Felt like a light interview and he seemed to just be agreeing with sending him back down after the initial struggles.  The overall tone felt like "sure, he got sent down .. he'll be fine"

Edited by lfallo1

13 minutes ago, lfallo1 said:

I dunno .. Didn't think Cal was making any sorta strong argument against bringing him up in the first place or even challenging the move.  Felt like a light interview and he seemed to just be agreeing with sending him back down after the initial struggles.  The overall tone felt like "sure, he got sent down .. he'll be fine"

Pretty much what I got out of it as well.  He was probably rushed, which I think we can all agree on in hindsight, but he didn't say anything controversial. 

He's not saying anything 100s of others haven't already. It's not a big deal, but I don't care to hear Cal's opinion on anything that has to do with what's happening on the field. Go be an owner and let the folks who's job it is to evaluate players, etc. do their jobs. 

• Upvote 1

41 minutes ago, OnlyOneOriole said:

Pretty much what I got out of it as well.  He was probably rushed, which I think we can all agree on in hindsight, but he didn't say anything controversial. 

If by "rushed" you mean that he could/should have spent more time at AAA, then sure I can accept that. However, I have no problem with him breezing past the other levels.

I just don't think that you are giving enough credence to how hard the jump is from AAA to MLB in 2024. Or how many similar, uber-talented prospects like Jackson Chourio, Wyatt Langford, etc.

Yes Tampa decided to keep Caminero down at AAA and we could have done that with Holliday. But no matter how long they stay down or how talented that they are, when they first come up the adjustment is going to be very hard.

7 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

https://www.baltimoresun.com/2024/02/20/orioles-jackson-holliday-offseason-training-program/

So you want him squatting 700 and deadlifting 600 before getting the call?

I think folks are fooled by his baby face.

I am highly skeptical of those numbers.  That squat number of 455 take a lot of time and effort to get up to.  I would be surprised to if his trainer would let him bench that number do the stress it can put on the shoulder joints.  I would guess he would be doing more dumbbell presses and cables.  

8 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

I think folks are fooled by his baby face.

Yep, for me that impression hasn't changed since draft day. (The "fooled" part remains to be seen.)

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, OriolesUpAndDowns said:

I am highly skeptical of those numbers.  That squat number of 455 take a lot of time and effort to get up to.  I would be surprised to if his trainer would let him bench that number do the stress it can put on the shoulder joints.  I would guess he would be doing more dumbbell presses and cables.  

That's a number that college football players at skill positions can hit regularly so I can buy it.

Edited by Hallas

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Billy F-Face3 said:

I love Cal Jr, but I would hope he will put his trust in the leadership of the best GM/front office in baseball with Mike Elias, Sig Mejdal, and Eve Rosenbaum. 

Too many cooks in the kitchen can make a mess.

Cal is only going to be around for public relations with the fans. Elias isn't going to put up with Cal trying to interfere with baseball operations and I don't see Rubenstein listening to Cal's input on how to run the team like we did with Brady Anderson and the Angelos family.

Edited by OsFanSinceThe80s

8 hours ago, RZNJ said:

You listen to that clip and your take is that he’s questioning the FO?

No problem.  Agree to disagree.

I think Cal needs to be very careful in expressing any opinions about how the team is or should be run, now that he’s in the ownership group.  I don’t know that this remark was a problem, I’m just making a general observation.  

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
35 minutes ago, OriolesUpAndDowns said:

Skilled position defined as Corners, WR's and RB's?

yeah.  Rondale Moore squatted 600 as a freshman.  There's others too.

Edited by Hallas