Cal thinks Holiday moved to fast through the system

Tony-OH

Posted (edited)

I absolutely hate this. I knew he would be a problem and it only took him a couple months. He's gonna meddle obliquely by getting in DR's ear, who is a fanboy. 

This is Brady all over again.

Edited by interloper

7 minutes ago, interloper said:

I absolutely hate this. I knew he would be a problem and it only took him a couple months. He's gonna meddle obliquely by getting in DR's ear, who is a fanboy. 

This is Brady all over again.

Wow!  What a complete overreaction.    

Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Wow!  What a complete overreaction.    

I guess we will see. I already don't like Cal so I am prone to this kind of reaction, admittedly. But I don't know how you can think openly questioning not only the GM but his entire development staff is a good thing.

Edited by interloper

It's also just a lame baseball opinion. Players who come up under the same time frame and do well aren't considered rushed. But it's easy to say that about any prospect who struggles at the ML level.

He is entitled to his opinion. Cal came up at 20 years old and was overmatched as well. Put me in the camp that do not believe the Orioles were pressured in any way. They had a glaring hole at second base and Jackson hitting 700-750 OPS would have been a huge boost. Not my cup of tea for owners to speak out on issues like this.

7 minutes ago, interloper said:

I guess we will see. I already don't like Cal so I am prone to this kind of reaction, admittedly. But I don't know how you can think openly questioning not only the GM but his entire development staff is a good thing.

He didn’t question the GM or anyone else.  That’s just a bad take.

1 minute ago, RZNJ said:

He didn’t question the GM or anyone else.  That’s just a bad take.

I don't know how saying your #1 prospect was rushed is anything other than a criticism at baseball operations.

3 minutes ago, interloper said:

It's also just a lame baseball opinion. Players who come up under the same time frame and do well aren't considered rushed. But it's easy to say that about any prospect who struggles at the ML level.

Eh, he said “maybe” he needed more time in AAA and “maybe” he would have adjusted if they were in a position (like the White Sox) to be more patient with him.   

Just now, interloper said:

I don't know how saying your #1 prospect was rushed is anything other than a criticism at baseball operations.

He didn’t say he was rushed.  He was asked why he struggled.  After the fact, he said “maybe” he needs more time in AAA.   Nowhere is he saying he believed he was rushed (he never used that word) at the time of the promotion.  He’s trying to make sense of why Holliday struggled like everyone else.

2 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

He didn’t say he was rushed.  He was asked why he struggled.  After the fact, he said “maybe” he needs more time in AAA.   Nowhere is he saying he believed he was rushed (he never used that word) at the time of the promotion.  He’s trying to make sense of why Holliday struggled like everyone else.

Well I'll acknowledge some over reaction but man i just find Cal to be a very concerning part of the ownership group. I hope I'm wrong.

11 hours ago, OriolesUpAndDowns said:

Can you share the verifiable data that many NFL skills players are squatting 2.5 their body weight at 20 years old?  

I don't know how many examples you want, but here we go:

Quinyon Mitchell

https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=899367014658126

Rondale Moore

Saquon, probably the most definitively competition legal ones

No video evidence: Marvin Harrison Jr: 500 https://en.as.com/nfl/what-is-marvin-harrison-jrs-nfl-draft-projection-the-ohio-state-buckeye-wrs-stats-n/

Derwin James: 550-600 (in college)  https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/20447513/florida-state-seminoles-derwin-james-secret-weapon-alabama-crimson-tide

Quentin Johnston: 575 at TCU https://www.nfldraftbuzz.com/Player/Quentin-Johnston-WR-TCU

I compiled this in like 15 minutes of searching.  If I can come up with this many just in a few minutes of searching I would likely be able to come up with many more if I exhaustively searched NFL prospects.

But the point of this is that among elite athletes this isn't crazy.  Sure your average college player isn't hitting these numbers even if they're an FBS player, but the ones that become pro prospects are.

Since this thread was originally about Cal commenting on Holliday's development, maybe Cal should pay attention to what Rubinstein is doing as majority owner and leave the development of minor league talent to those in charge.  Who knows if Rubinstein has privately questioned Elias about the development/progress of any prospect?  I'm sure he knows to do so publicly undermines the public's trust in Elias.  Not a shot at Cal, but you're an owner now, and need to act like one.

12 minutes ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

Since this thread was originally about Cal commenting on Holliday's development, maybe Cal should pay attention to what Rubinstein is doing as majority owner and leave the development of minor league talent to those in charge.  Who knows if Rubinstein has privately questioned Elias about the development/progress of any prospect?  I'm sure he knows to do so publicly undermines the public's trust in Elias.  Not a shot at Cal, but you're an owner now, and need to act like one.

He was asked a question and tried to answer it. He never threw shade on the development of Holliday or anyone else. I can't understand how people who have (hopefully) listened to his comments can come to this conclusion. 

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Malike said:

He was asked a question and tried to answer it. He never threw shade on the development of Holliday or anyone else. I can't understand how people who have (hopefully) listened to his comments can come to this conclusion. 

He said nothing wrong.  Hell, even Elias said maybe they moved him too fast.

Nothing that was said should be looked at as anything more than trying to figure out why he struggled in a very small sample size.

People flipping out over this are focused on one thing…”maybe he was moved too fast” and are running with it as if it’s some indictment. 

Just an awful interpretation by some. It’s the definition of trying to find a problem because you want to.