Gold Glove Infield?

9 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Let the record show that DirtyBird thinks the man in the image above is sexy. 

Not that there’s anything wrong with that. 

I got this.  This is DirtyBird.

image.jpeg.6f8f7513b3225a632485abe73e49a245.jpeg

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, spleen1015 said:

Is there a chance? There's always a chance. It's it going to happen? Nah.

Has it ever happened?   I know the O’s had three infielders win several times: 1969, 1971, 1973-75.   Brooks and Belanger involved in all of those; Johnson (‘69, ‘71) and Grich (‘73-75) involved at 2B.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Fiver6565 said:

So the one play today eliminated him from GG consideration?  He’s played very very well at first. 

No, I just mentioned that kind of as an example of a play that should’ve been an error that isn’t, and yes, Ryan plays well at first. But of all our guys who are defensive standouts, he’s the least flashy, so would be the one most likely left out.

2 hours ago, Philip said:

Mountcastle no. That should have been an error today. The others, depends on the competition but yes indeed.

The Gunnar one hop throw to O'Hearn on Saturday should have been an error. And Mountcastle has had a pretty good year on Gunnar's 90+ mph short hops to first.

42 minutes ago, Philip said:

No, I just mentioned that kind of as an example of a play that should’ve been an error that isn’t, and yes, Ryan plays well at first. But of all our guys who are defensive standouts, he’s the least flashy, so would be the one most likely left out.

I would guess that a fan of any given team could find a similar example of their Gold Glove candidate missing a ball they ‘should’ have had. 

10 minutes ago, Fiver6565 said:

I would guess that a fan of any given team could find a similar example of their Gold Glove candidate missing a ball they ‘should’ have had. 

I'm curious how many "flashy" first baseman he has to worry about?

9 minutes ago, Fiver6565 said:

I think you missed my point, which is that on the Orioles, if you make a list of the best defenders, regardless of how good Mountcastle is, others will always be ahead of him because the nature of their positions makes it easier for them to have a web gem. 
When they’re handing out gold gloves, Westburg and Gunnar and AR are more likely to get attention.

At first, a mistake will often be more memorable than a difficult pick, which is why I mentioned Mc’s gaffe.

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I'm curious how many "flashy" first baseman he has to worry about?

I think MC is going to get more competition from his teammates than from other first baseman, because it’s unlikely for all four to win.

However, I just checked, and defensively, Mountcastle is tied for 20th in first baseman OAA at -1( leader has 7) and 20th in runs prevented at 0( the leader has 5)

Edited by Philip
Addendum

Just now, Philip said:

I think you missed my point, which is that on the Orioles, if you make a list of the best defenders, regardless of how good Mountcastle is, others will always be ahead of him because the nature of their positions makes it easier for them to have a web gem. 
When they’re handing out gold gloves, Westburg and Gunnar and AR are more likely to get attention.

At first, a mistake will often be more memorable than a difficult pick, which is why I mentioned Mc’s gaffe.

How flashy the other fielders are isn't relevant since he's not competing against them for the award.

Unless of course you think they would not give him a GG since that would make too many Orioles getting one?

He's going to be competing against other first basemen, none of whom are flashy.

5 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

How flashy the other fielders are isn't relevant since he's not competing against them for the award.

Unless of course you think they would not give him a GG since that would make too many Orioles getting one?

He's going to be competing against other first basemen, none of whom are flashy.

I edited my comment to include Mountcastle’s defense in OAA and Runs Prevented compared to other first basemen, but to your question, yes, I think it is unlikely that we will have so many. 

4 minutes ago, Philip said:

I edited my comment to include Mountcastle’s defense in OAA and Runs Prevented compared to other first basemen, but to your question, yes, I think it is unlikely that we will have so many. 

Cards won five in 2021.

58 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Cards won five in 2021.

Yes, that’s true and they are the only team ever to have won so many, I was looking for teams that had four winners.The orioles had four at least twice: Brooks, Blair, Belanger and Davy Johnson. Three is reasonably common, the orioles had three frequently: Markakis,  JJ, and AJ most recently in 2014.

9 hours ago, DrungoHazewood said:

Of course there's some chance. There's a microscopic-but-not-zero chance that an asteroid strikes the All Star game and we end up with what was otherwise the 44th-best player in the league as the MVP. And that's not even considering that the 44th-best player in the league sometimes wins the MVP without an asteroid.

Imagine the shame of that player, always having an asteroid attached to his achievement in the history books.

• Haha 2