Ideal 2025 lineup...

With the infield depth in the Os pipeline, I'm beginning to think that Holiday should get some run in CF to see if he's capable of being Mullins heir apparent.  Mullins currently is under control thru 2025 and would be a FA in 2026.  Currently, the organizational depth at CF isn't great and I believe with Holiday's body type, he could potentially fit in at that position.  I'd like to see next year's non-pitching roster look something like this:

C-Rutschman

1B-Mountcastle

2B-Westburg

SS-Henderson

3B-Mayo

LF-Cowser

CF-Holiday

RF-Kjerstad

Bench - backup catcher, Hays (2026 FA), Mullins (2026 FA), O'Hearn (2026 FA), Mateo (2026 FA)/Norby

This is creative, I’ll give you that, but I think the chances of Holliday being converted to an outfielder are close to zero. They’re going to stick with Bradfield Jr. as Mullins’ heir for the CF unless he continues to be unable to hit minor league pitching. We’re pretty far from that point. 

Just now, dystopia said:

This is creative, I’ll give you that, but I think the chances of Holliday being converted to an outfielder are close to zero. They’re going to stick with Bradfield Jr. as Mullins’ heir for the CF unless he continues to be unable to hit minor league pitching. We’re pretty far from that point. 

I don’t think they’ve prejudged that Bradfield is Mullins’ heir.  He’s a candidate.  There’s several other possibilities.   If they want to add HollidAy to the list of possibilities, fine with me.   Here’s how I see the list (in order of seniority in the system);

1.  Cowser

2. Fabian 

3. Beavers 

4. Bradfield 

What assumptions are allowed to count for "ideal"? Ideally Mullins would go back to his 30/30 pace and stick in CF.

Ideally Mayo would play GG level 3B, but what if he is a butcher there? 

I still think Mayo is mostly likely 1B and Holliday is most likely 2B. You don't have a DH, is that intentional?

Likely optimistic scenario:

C-Rutschman/Basallo

1B-Mayo/Mountcastle

2B-Holliday

SS-Gunnar

3B-Westburg

LF-Hays/Stowers

RF-Kjerstad/Cowser/Stowers

CF-Mullins/Cowser/Beavers

DH-Basallo/Mountcastle/Kjerstad

Still some fluidity at OF/DH.

39 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I don’t think they’ve prejudged that Bradfield is Mullins’ heir.  He’s a candidate.  There’s several other possibilities.   If they want to add HollidAy to the list of possibilities, fine with me.   Here’s how I see the list (in order of seniority in the system);

1.  Cowser

2. Fabian 

3. Beavers 

4. Bradfield 

Yeah, Bradfield won’t be a consideration. Teams aren’t reserving positions for non-top 5 prospects in A-ball, and that’s not a knock against Bradfield.

If the team is reluctant to move Holiday to CF it will be because they don’t want to introduce a massive change for a #1 prospect, they think his skills are better suited to second base, they don’t want to take him off the dirt (arguably harder to move back to dirt than vice versa) to maximize long term value, or they don’t think Mayo is an MLB 3B so this positional change just opens up another infield hole.

I think Holliday has the tools for CF so it’s not an impossibility in my mind if the team thinks Mayo is the 3B of the future.  2B is same defensive spectrum as CF and we’ve seen similar moves for Mookie Betts and Jackson Merrill.  I think it’s unlikely on balance though and certainly wouldn’t happen until after 2025 spring training.

1 hour ago, Aristotelian said:

What assumptions are allowed to count for "ideal"? Ideally Mullins would go back to his 30/30 pace and stick in CF.

Ideally Mayo would play GG level 3B, but what if he is a butcher there? 

I still think Mayo is mostly likely 1B and Holliday is most likely 2B. You don't have a DH, is that intentional?

Likely optimistic scenario:

C-Rutschman/Basallo

1B-Mayo/Mountcastle

2B-Holliday

SS-Gunnar

3B-Westburg

LF-Hays/Stowers

RF-Kjerstad/Cowser/Stowers

CF-Mullins/Cowser/Beavers

DH-Basallo/Mountcastle/Kjerstad

Still some fluidity at OF/DH.

That's very close to what I was thinking.

1 hour ago, Billy F-Face3 said:

I don't want to offend anyone but I took one look at that OP lineup and instantly got turned off.

Turned off by how many awesome players the O's have? 

1 hour ago, The B&G said:

Turned off by how many awesome players the O's have? 

Mostly Jackson Holliday being placed in a position he's never played, combined with a batting order that I disagree with. 

But yes, the Orioles do have awesome players so I'll give you that. 

12 minutes ago, Billy F-Face3 said:

Mostly Jackson Holliday being placed in a position he's never played, combined with a batting order that I disagree with. 

But yes, the Orioles do have awesome players so I'll give you that. 

What batting order? It’s just a list of positions and players.