Would any former O's help this team?

Orioles Examiner

Hi all,

I was just poking around and lookin at the numbers a few recent O's have been putting up this Spring. The sample size is small, but that's just the way ST works.

Here are a few updates, if you're interested:

http://www.examiner.com/x-436-Baltimore-Orioles-Examiner~y2009m3d16-Where-are-they-now--A-look-at-how-a-few-former-Os-are-fairing-this-Spring

My question to you is, of the following players, would any help the 09 O's? What are the chances that they find a spot of the 25 man of their current teams?

Bedard

Cabrera

Castro

Cintron

Loewen

Millar

Patterson

Tejada

Obviously, Bedard, DCab and Tejada are on their team's OD roster. Is Millar a lock? How about Corey Patterson? He was ever worse with the Reds last year than he was with the O's. Is he going to be playing in DC opening day? How about Castro? I put up his ST numbers; they're impressive. Is he the backup shortstop in LA?

Do you want any of these guys back?

Hi all,

I was just poking around and lookin at the numbers a few recent O's have been putting up this Spring. The sample size is small, but that's just the way ST works.

Here are a few updates, if you're interested:

http://www.examiner.com/x-436-Baltimore-Orioles-Examiner~y2009m3d16-Where-are-they-now--A-look-at-how-a-few-former-Os-are-fairing-this-Spring

My question to you is, of the following players, would any help the 09 O's? What are the chances that they find a spot of the 25 man of their current teams?

Bedard

Cabrera

Castro

Cintron

Loewen

Millar

Patterson

Tejada

Obviously, Bedard, DCab and Tejada are on their team's OD roster. Is Millar a lock? How about Corey Patterson? He was ever worse with the Reds last year than he was with the O's. Is he going to be playing in DC opening day? How about Castro? I put up his ST numbers; they're impressive. Is he the backup shortstop in LA?

Do you want any of these guys back?

They've moved on. We've moved on.

I don't see where any of those guys would help, other than a healthy Bedard.

CPat is having trouble making the Nats, BTW. Outfield is the one spot the Nats are actually deep, or at least have players they consider to have higher upsides than CPat. Barring injury, he shouldn't make that club.

They've moved on. We've moved on.

I don't see where any of those guys would help, other than a healthy Bedard.

CPat is having trouble making the Nats, BTW. Outfield is the one spot the Nats are actually deep, or at least have players they consider to have higher upsides than CPat. Barring injury, he shouldn't make that club.

I agree. The incomin talent is much stronger than the outgoing talent, which is what made the offseason such a success. Bedard is the only high-ceiling guy. It will be interesting to see what happens to him this year. Some might say DCAb deserved another change, but he drove me nuts so I'm glad he's gone.

Thanks for the tip on Patterson. It's frightening to think what a highly regarded prospect he once was for the Cubs.

How about Castro and Millar? Are they on the OD rosters? I heard the Jays might start with a 5 man bench, which would give Millar a spot it seems.

Anyway, there's no sense crying over spilled milk, and in this case there's really no milk spilled. That said, with the exception of Loewen, I would like to see each of these guys succeed.

I don't want any of those guys back bad enough to give anything of value up for them.

If not for all of the negative history I'd say Ponson could be a ST invite. He looked good in his outing against Venezuela and he's as durable as they come, something the O's need plenty of. I hear he has grown up quite a bit since he's had a child but I don't see the Orioles getting close to that considering they just settled on his last contract. It's unfortunate because he's always had plenty of talent to work with.

Here's his number from the WBC:

4.00 ERA / 9 IP / 7 H / 4 ER / 2 HR / 4 BB / 4 SO / 1.22 WHIP

I don't want any of those guys back bad enough to give anything of value up for them.

If not for all of the negative history I'd say Ponson could be a ST invite. He looked good in his outing against Venezuela and he's as durable as they come, something the O's need plenty of. I hear he has grown up quite a bit since he's had a child but I don't see the Orioles getting close to that considering they just settled on his last contract. It's unfortunate because he's always had plenty of talent to work with.

Here's his number from the WBC:

4.00 ERA / 9 IP / 7 H / 4 ER / 2 HR / 4 BB / 4 SO / 1.22 WHIP

Good point. I should have put him on the list. You're right, though. Too much bad blood there between he and the club.

There's a ton of former O's who would help. The problem is that they're really old guys by now.
Hey, lay off Tejada!

Just kidding. Good point.

Speaking of old guys, when Luke Appling was 75 years old, he homered off of Warren Spahn.

Of course, Spahn was 61 at the time.

Archived