Tuesday, May 21 / Wednesday May 22 GAME RESUMES at 12:15pm: Orange/Black Birds vs Red Birds

SteveA

The Orioles, or most of them, appear to have adopted a hitting strategy of Attack! Attack! Attack! early in the count. The premise seems to be that what's lost in drawing walks and wearing out opponents' starting pitchers is more than made up for by the gain in hard-hit balls early in the count. Right now, it's not working. I would guess that other teams are relying their data to figure out where each hitter swings at pitches outside the strike zone and where he makes weak contact both inside and outside the zone, and pitching the Orioles accordingly. I never pitched much (other than in wiffle ball), but it must be a great confidence-builder to know that you don't have to worry too much about walks or pounding the strike zone, and that being around the zone and occasionally in it will generate swings and probably outs.  

OK, I have always hated how Hyde uses the pitching. What is the justification for using Webb and Akin, two guys you won’t be able to use in the next game, instead of Irvin, who could have finished the game himself?

I have butted heads with people when I say that something is an objectively bad decision and I think this is an objectively bad decision. I know there’s a reason of some kind, but it is a bad reason and now we are going to lose because of stupid managing.

Just now, Roy Firestone said:

What a hideous performance in STL. Guaranteed to be swept by STL, Gibson will give up the obligatory 3 hits and shut us down.

Does it give you joy to say stupid things like we're guaranteed to lose a game that hasn't even started yet?

God this thread is inane.  I forget how annoying it is, I jump into one, and then I'm reminded.  Time to jump back out.

2 minutes ago, Fiver6565 said:

This lineup just does not take pitches anymore.  Feels like that approach fails more often than it works, though it does work here and there.

Last year they had an OBP of .321, this year it's .301.

Just now, Roy Firestone said:

watch the White Sox dominate us too...its going to happen..

I see, so not only the game today that hasn't started, but also the weekend series that hasn't started, we're going to suck.  Your posts should come w/ spoiler tags I guess.😒

1 minute ago, spiritof66 said:

The Orioles, or most of them, appear to have adopted a hitting strategy of Attack! Attack! Attack! early in the count. The premise seems to be that what's lost in drawing walks and wearing out opponents' starting pitchers is more than made up for by the gain in hard-hit balls early in the count. Right now, it's not working. I would guess that other teams are relying their data to figure out where each hitter swings at pitches outside the strike zone and where he makes weak contact both inside and outside the zone, and pitching the Orioles accordingly. I never pitched much (other than in wiffle ball), but it must be a great confidence-builder to know that you don't have to worry too much about walks or pounding the strike zone, and that being around the zone and occasionally in it will generate swings and probably outs.  

I liked reading this post.

I'm not typically a "fire the coaches" kind of guy, but the obvious difference in this team not taking pitches anymore and there are no adjustments tells me this is something being espoused by the hitting coach tandum.

Maybe if you make tandum hitting coaches you make one with actually hitting experience and the other one a nerd with a Ipad because clearly these two have no ability to help hitters out of a slump besides telling them to swing at everything.