You can stick a fork in Pauley so far as I'm concerned

Frobby

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

OK, Pauley came to us from the Red Sox in exchange for Randor Bierd, no?

Man, what a lousy, atrocious and gawd awful trade. Would I ever like a "do over" with that trade. We never should have let Bierd go.

24 hits in 11 innings is slowly growing away from being a "small" sample size. Plus you have to consider his past track record and the competition he's playing against.

What? 11 innings is a very small sample size.

Not sure what his K and BB numbers were today but entering today, he had a 4:1 K/BB ratio, 7.74 K rate, 1.93 BB rate and hadn't given up a homer.

The hits allowed are disturbing but we don't know how many of the hits have been effected by the defense, the crazy winds that occur in ST and things like that.

There could be plenty of reasonable or unreasonable explainations for Pauley's poor performance thus far:

Maybe he is being told to throw only certain pitches?

Maybe the mound is slippery?

Maybe they accidentally gave him a non-regulation baseball?

Maybe he has always wanted to vacation at Bowie or Norfolk but could not afford it on his own?

Maybe he grew up a Yankee fan who went to O's games with his dad (wearing a Yankees cap) as a kid, but the Yankees did not want him so he thought sabatoging the O's would be the next best thing?

Maybe he is under alien control?

:scratchchinhmm::scratchchinhmm::scratchchinhmm:

What? 11 innings is a very small sample size.

Not sure what his K and BB numbers were today but entering today, he had a 4:1 K/BB ratio, 7.74 K rate, 1.93 BB rate and hadn't given up a homer.

The hits allowed are disturbing but we don't know how many of the hits have been effected by the defense, the crazy winds that occur in ST and things like that.

In the grand scheme of the regular season yes. But the pitchers have been down in Florida for about a month now.

And, like I said, a guy like Pauley doesn't get the benefit of the doubt that Johan Santana does. Obviously you don't stick a fork in Santana after 11 innings but when you're David Pauley, fighting for a rotation spot, you can't afford to get knocked around like he has.

Todays effort: 1.2 IP, 4 hits (3 doubles), 2 ER. That's 24 hits allowed in 11 innings. No thanks.
Small sample size anyone?
Just wanted to point this out.

Agreed it's a small sample size, but sometimes that's all you need. This guy had a cup of coffee in the majors in 2007, and he stunk it up. He had another cup of coffee in 2008 and he stunk again. He's stunk every time out this spring except once. And it's not like he was a ball of fire in the minors to begin with.

We're reaching the point where the starters need to be stretched out and choices have to be made. If I am Dave Trembley, the choice on Pualey is clear.

Pauley was brought here because he throws strikes, and I'm quite certain that's what he's been doing in camp.

He's just been getting pummeled. I'm sure his BABIP is through the roof this spring.

Right....It happens. As you say, BABIP is probably way high..Bad luck, things like that.

That's why judging a pitcher on hits allowed isn't the best way of doing it.

Things like BABIP and K-Rate and BB-Rate are just as meaningless over 11 IP as the number of hits he's given up.

A guy can have a .500 BABIP over 11 innings and have that not be indicative of him being unlucky, he could just be getting hit hard as hell.

Nothing from Pauley's stats so far in ST are going to be terribly useful, to either build him up or put him down.

I'm starting to lean towards this as well.

Count me in. Pauley, Eaton, Baez, and the rest are really not an option, then add the fact that Uehara and Hill certainly cannot be considered a reliable fix for the rest of the season. Our ship is taking on water and we are in need or filling some holes or at least bailing some water. I think Berg can step up and maybe Waters can handle the 5th starter role, I don't think anyone wants Hendrickson doing anything but long relief, but if Hill fighting this thing off and on all year, and maybe Uehara does as well we need some sort of Vet that is not named Eaton or Hendrickson or Baez to act as a stopgap.

Guts should be fine, Uehara will be fine when he is healthy but that probably won't be a whole lot, same with Hill, leaving the need really for six starters one of which I think Berg has all but won, perhaps Bass or Baez fighting for the other, and Waters and Eaton battling for one more, but adding that sixth option would help a lot, cue the WBC Pedro highlight reel.

Archived