Thursday, May 23: Orioles at White Sox

SteveA

2 minutes ago, Philip said:

My feed froze. When it started again, the Os were congratulating themselves. The radio guys didn’t say what happened. So what happened?

Pop up, infield fly rule in effect, runner somehow interfered with Gunnar...double play. Still trying to figure out where the interference happened.

• Thanks 1

Just now, Aristotelian said:

How can they call interference after the IFF rule is already in effect?

Right, is IFF not just a dead ball? Is it a timing thing?

Also the interference didn’t really impact Gunnar’s ability to make the catch, shouldn’t that be a factor? 

I guess technically since the infield fly rule was in effect, the game ended when the runner "interfered".    The batter was automatically out when the infield fly rule was invoked.

So Gunnar could have bobbled the ball and dropkicked it into the stands and we still would have won the game.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, survivedc said:

Also the interference didn’t really impact Gunnar’s ability to make the catch, shouldn’t that be a factor? 

Infield isn't a dead ball.   It's just an automatic out even if the fielder doesn't catch it.   Runners advance on their own risk so it's a live ball and a stupid runner can still wander off a base and get out.

3 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

How can they call interference after the IFF rule is already in effect?

Even though the batter is out, the fielders still are trying to field the ball to prevent the baserunners from advancing.

• Upvote 1

I have GI issues, so I started feeling nauseous and vomited.  Spent the whole time in the bathroom.  GI finally calmed down and was able to see we won.  That was not pretty.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, SteveA said:

A routine high  popup to short that Gunnar came in for and caught on the infield grass for out #2.

However, apparently the ump ruled that somehow the runner on 2nd touched Gunnar or something as he was coming in for the popup, so they called that runner out for interfering with a fielder.

So the popup was actually out #3.

Never seen that before.   And they have yet to show us a good replay to see what the "interference" was.

It looks like the runner brushed Henderson before the IFF was called when he was retreating to second base when Gunnar was basically stationary near the base on the third base side. They barely made contact before Gunnar moved in to the infield to make the catch. I’m an O’s fan as much as the next guy, but that was a weak call. 

1 minute ago, O's84 said:

I have GI issues, so I started feeling nauseous and vomited.  Spent the whole time in the bathroom.  GI finally calmed down and was able to see we won.  That was not pretty.

Is that you Heasey?

[He has a history of vomiting on the mound, in case people didn't know].

• Haha 2

There is a brief replay clip now on MLB.com, and...I got nothing.  No idea why interference was called.  It looked to me like Vaughn was just heading back to 2B.  Maybe he bumped into Henderson, but it was clearly inconsequential contact.  

Had to watch the White Sox telecast because I'm in that market. They showed lots of replays.

Gunnar was playing up the middle. As he was coming in to catch the ball, Vaughn was walking back to 2nd and kind of got in Gunnar's way. Gunnar side stepped towards 3rd and went around him. As he was going around him, he brushed Vaughn a little.

I'm not sure how the rules make this 3 outs, but Vaughn is guilty of interference. I thought the interference makes it a deadball, but I guess not. The infield fly rule is not a deadball. Runners are allowed to advance at their own peril.

Lots of comments from the White Sox announcers. Even right now in their post game show talking about how bad this call was. I would think they would have someone explain the rules to them.

I think the umps followed the rules and it's just unfortunate for the White Sox.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, survivedc said:

If it was verbal interference apparently the runner is out as well as the batter. 

4 minutes ago, O's84 said:

Are you sure the GI wasn't just from Heasley pitching?