FIX THE DANG BULLPEN

DocJJ

Posted (edited)
13 hours ago, Chavez Ravine said:

Good starting pitchers are reliable until they break. Plus they are expensive. So you better hope to have  a Rodrigo Lopez or two up your sleeve. Relief pitchers are like goalies. Just pray that whatever motley scrap heap you have compiled gets fire in Autumn.

Unfortunately that’s where the sport is now. 

It’s all about who is healthy/available in October. It’s hard enough to answer that question 2 weeks from now never mind 4 months from now. 

I’ll take our chances with our pen if Burnes, Bradish and GRod are healthy and ready to go in October. Don’t need as much depth then. 

Edited by eddie83

On 5/24/2024 at 9:18 AM, interloper said:

I tried to tell y'all the Baumann move was a mistake. 

Baumann has pitched once for the Marines and walked 2 of the 4 batters he faced. What makes you think he wouldn't be part of the problem still? 

12 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Baumann has pitched once for the Marines and walked 2 of the 4 batters he faced. What makes you think he wouldn't be part of the problem still? 

Don't forget the two wild pitches!

Baumann is not a pitcher a championship contender should have on it's roster (as he currently stands). We need to trim the fat and Baumann was the first guy to go. Hopefully in a few months our bullpen is something like this:

CL- Helsley

SU- Kimbrel

SU- Cano

LHP- Columbe

LHP- Perez

RHP- Webb

Long relief- Suarez

Long relief- Povich

Looking at the type of pitchers our bullpen has, we really need a good swing and miss strikout guy. Because most of the pitchers we do have are spin artist pitchers that get contact and have to rely heavily on the defense behind them. Webb and Kimbrel might be the only pitchers in the bullpen that come close to breaking that mold.

We need another weapon in the bullpen and that's a good K pitcher who can command his stuff and has enough movement on his fast ball to prevent hitters from teeing off looking for it.

I think that would do alot to balance out the bullpen.

26 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

I think the O's are going to use Baumann's spot to shuttle optionable guys thru.  Since Baumann was lousy anyway, it will help to eat up hopefully low leverage innings.  Most of the guys should be better than Vieira.