FIX THE DANG BULLPEN

DocJJ

Keep in mind that the bullpen had to cover 6.1 IP yesterday. 4 IP on Friday. All scoreless. Btw. Throwing 13.1 IP in a 3 games series is a ton for a bullpen. 

I do agree that we use our pen so much that it would be more valuable to have a shuttle spot as the last spot than a guy like Viera. We should have a fresh arm for every game with the shuttle. 

1 minute ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Keep in mind that the bullpen had to cover 6.1 IP yesterday. 4 IP on Friday. All scoreless. Btw. Throwing 13.1 IP in a 3 games series is a ton for a bullpen. 

I do agree that we use our pen so much that it would be more valuable to have a shuttle spot as the last spot than a guy like Viera. We should have a fresh arm for every game with the shuttle. 

I don't want to overstate it but imo having one, or preferably two, slots in the bullpen that you can shuttle guys with is a must.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, OnlyOneOriole said:

Trading for 2 guys is to me, a major misallocation of resources.    One shut down guy...ala Andrew Miller?  I get that.

But you shouldn't have to trade for 2 relievers.   If you don't have a guy in the minors who is good to very good and who can't come in and throw 1-2 innings?  You have problems.

They won’t need to give up major hauls to acquire 2 relievers that are better than Cano/Webb. 

As for your second paragraph, then they have problems. They have depth pieces but they need impact arms. Not guys that can be the 7th/8th piece in the pen. 

33 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I don't want to overstate it but imo having one, or preferably two, slots in the bullpen that you can shuttle guys with is a must.

Can you overstate it more than saying it’s a must?   What would be stronger than that?

I have zero confidence in a victory unless we are up by over 5 runs heading into the 8th inning.  That's a very big problem.  

Is our goal to try to make a deep playoff run this year?  It can not happen with our current relievers.

1 hour ago, sportsfan8703 said:

They covered all those innings with a 7 man BP. Use this Viera guy or get rid of him and get somebody else up here, that would give them 4 relievers with options.

1 hour ago, DocJJ said:

I have zero confidence in a victory unless we are up by over 5 runs heading into the 8th inning.  That's a very big problem. 

Really?  Based on all the 4 or less leads we have blown this year?  How was the Texas bullpen last year going into the playoffs?  

On 6/2/2024 at 7:46 PM, Can_of_corn said:

Also, Vespi is captain of the Norfolk shuttle. Over the last three seasons he’s 6-0 with a 3.98 ERA in 43 IP. Last year he held LHH to a .433 OPS. 

How valuable has this dude been?  Beast. 

I know we have a lot of “new” fans. And that’s good. But why would we make a significant trade now when we’d just wear down those arms too?

The bullpen has been pretty freaking good all things considered. Who really expected more?  This has been best case scenario. Especially with being able to kick Suarez or Kremer to the pen when Kremer comes back. Wow.