The play that ended the game

RZNJ

Yeah...after seeing this the second time around, I have to say that I think the ump made the right call.  He clearly did obstruct Gunnar.   That being said, if it weren't called, I wouldn't complain about it either.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Sports Guy said:

Based on the rules, it’s probably the correct call.

But it was bs.

Makes you wonder if other defenders try to “unintentionally” cause this issue.

It looked like nobody on the field knew the rule but the ump. 

Just now, RZNJ said:

Exactly my point.  It’s a ticky tack call not made 100% of the time.  It’s like some umpires are known for calling balks.

Yeah, I don't think he'd have the balls to call that on a superstar in a key moment of a big game.  

I mean, maybe I'm wrong...maybe that umpire does make that call.  He'd be kind of stupid to.

If that call doesn't get made last night, I doubt anyone notices...not Hyde, Fredi Gonzalez or the White Sox manager and their staff.  

Just now, Moose Milligan said:

Yeah, I don't think he'd have the balls to call that on a superstar in a key moment of a big game.  

I mean, maybe I'm wrong...maybe that umpire does make that call.  He'd be kind of stupid to.

If that call doesn't get made last night, I doubt anyone notices...not Hyde, Fredi Gonzalez or the White Sox manager and their staff.  

Valentine? I bet he would lol.

2 minutes ago, Malike said:

I get it, watch where the ball is hit and get back to the base. IF fly rule has been in effect forever, I've never seen a player make contact with a fielder in 45 years. It may have happened before, but nobody has ever seen it. You can read a popup off the bat while on 2B, the fielder is looking up in the air to make the catch, they can't move out of the way of the runner. It's a stupid rule, but to say that an IF fly rule called when a runner on 2B is a lose-lose situation isn't correct. It was a terrible call, I'm not defending it, what I said was that some people here for certain would have blamed the runner on base and not the ump.

I was responding to this.

The player could see it was a pop up to SS, why even leave the bag?”

Were you being sarcastic or funny and I missed it?

Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

100% agree.   Now, Earl Weaver may have made a federal case over it.  I will say that.

Edited by RZNJ

3 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

The umpire is clearly a dildo

3 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Gunnar clearly had no idea that the call was made or what it was. He looked like he may have been getting ready to argue it. 

17 minutes ago, UMDTerrapins said:

Terrible ending. They called the infield fly rule, so the hitter was out regardless of whether Henderson caught it. So to call interference on a play that was essentially already ruled dead makes no sense to me. If that’s the correct interpretation of the rule by the umpire crew, the rule needs fixing. If I was a Sox fan I’d already be depressed, but I’d be pissed and depressed. 

I also think this is a really important point/post that got overlooked here.

@UMDTerrapinsbrings up an excellent thought...it's an infield fly call, so the batter's out no matter what.  Gunnar doesn't have to catch that ball.  So who really cares if Vaughn was in the way?

So...where's the interference if Gunnar doesn't have to make that catch?  It's a bit...I dunno the right word/phrase....redundant?