So far, the O’s are a very unstreaky team

Frobby

49 games in, the O’s longest winning streak is 4 games, while their longest losing streak is 3 games.  Here’s the longest winning/losing streak of the other teams currently over .500:

NYY 7/3

BOS 5/4

CLE 7/3

KCR 7/3

MIN 13/7

SEA 4/3

PHI 7/2

ATL 6/4

MIL 4/3

CHC 5/2

LAD 7/3

As can be seen, the O’s are pretty typical of the .500+ teams in avoiding long losing streaks, but they haven’t had the longish winning streak that most (not all) of these teams have had at some point.  

• Upvote 1

Just now, Sports Guy said:

Offense and bullpen have been too inconsistent for a long winning streak.

One of these days, I’m going to come up with a good way of measuring consistency.   But even bad or inconsistent teams sometimes have winning streaks.  

Last year’s Orioles had win streaks of 8, 7, 7, 5 and 5.   And, despite never being swept in a series, they lost 4 in a row twice.  This team hasn’t done that yet.  

1 minute ago, Frobby said:

One of these days, I’m going to come up with a good way of measuring consistency.   But even bad or inconsistent teams sometimes have winning streaks.  

Last year’s Orioles had win streaks of 8, 7, 7, 5 and 5.   And, despite never being swept in a series, they lost 4 in a row twice.  This team hasn’t done that yet.  

I would guess the teams with long winning streaks saw outstanding BP efforts and lots of clutch hitting. 

Some of that is luck.  

You can’t quantify luck.

Posted (edited)
On 5/25/2024 at 4:45 PM, Sports Guy said:

I would guess the teams with long winning streaks saw outstanding BP efforts and lots of clutch hitting. 

Playing crappy teams helps. For example, Philly has played only 11 games against teams with a winning record. The Orioles have played 23. It doesn’t explain all the variation, of course, but definitely has an effect. 

Edited by Ohfan67

4 minutes ago, Ohfan67 said:

Playing crappy teams helps. For example, Philly has played only 11 games against teams with a winning record. The Orioles have played 23. It doesn’t explain all the variation, of course, but definitely has an effect. 

Ironically, we play better against teams with a winning record than a losing record.  

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Mooreisbetter27 said:

Ironically, we play better against teams with a winning record than a losing record.  

You say that after we swept the White Sox in a four game series, but you’re right. I forget the numbers but haven’t we played the most difficult or second most difficult season so far? This is why I think teams like the Yankees and the Phillies will come back to Earth a bit and we might see some longer winning streaks for the O’s.

1 minute ago, Mooreisbetter27 said:

The o’s have been fierce against the good teams, no doubt. But playing those good teams can take bit of a toll. 

Philly’s schedule so far has been so weird. I find it amazing that they have only played 11 games against winning teams. 

8 minutes ago, Explosivo said:

I forget the numbers but haven’t we played the most difficult or second most difficult season so far? 

Not at this point.  I’ve seen various rankings and they’re kind of all over the lot.  ESPN says we’ve had the 12th-hardest schedule; Power Rsnkings Guru says we’re 26th; Teamrankings.com has us 27th.  Pretty much everyone agrees that the toughest part of our schedule is in front of us.  Same was true last year at this time, and that worked out okay.  

3 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Not at this point.  I’ve seen various rankings and they’re kind of all over the lot.  ESPN says we’ve had the 12th-hardest schedule; Power Rsnkings Guru says we’re 26th; Teamrankings.com has us 27th.  Pretty much everyone agrees that the toughest part of our schedule is in front of us.  Same was true last year at this time, and that worked out okay.  

Yeah you’re right. From what I’ve seen we are tied with the Yankees as far toughest remaining schedule. It’s a wonky stat anyway. As George Brett would say, “it’s not who you play, it’s when you play them.” 

6 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Looks like the second two give a heavy weight based on what they expected teams to be and not what they actually are

• 3 weeks later...