What concerns you most about this team?

DocJJ

10 minutes ago, LGOrioles said:

I think the backend of the BP is obvious. Something that might be a little nitpicky is the bench. Last year, the O’s worst bench piece at the end of the year was McCann at 0.3 WAR. This year, all 4 position players not playing are replacement level or below, with McCann, Hays, and Urias combining for -1.3 WAR. Seems like there’s a bigger difference this year between our “A” lineup and “B” lineup just because not everyone is contributing. SSS, but the depth performed better last year than they have so far this year. 

I think the roster construction would be so much better if Holliday gets things figured out and he and Mateo are in a platoon situation from September on.

One slight critique of Elias. I wish we would have sold high on Urias/Hays. Especially Urias, but relatively obvious we’ve got guys to back fill them and their ceilings aren’t as high. 

Living in Florida, you see the Rays do this a lot. I think the construction of this year’s team is a little wonky and maybe we could have gotten a decent bullpen arm from one or both of them, clear up the logjam from the jump. 

Maybe the ownership situation affected the choices and could change in the future, but would have liked to flip Hays and Urias. 

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, DocJJ said:

1. With the exception of Henderson and Rutschman, the entire team can't hit.

2. Ailing starters: Means, Rodriguez, Wells, Kremer....

3. The volatile (and largely ineffective) bullpen.

I think all 3 are reasons for concern.  For me, the bullpen seems like the weakest link.  I am starting to worry a bit about how many starting pitchers have had ailments- I'd put that 2nd.  The hitting totally stinks the past few weeks- but hitting can be very streaky sometimes...  It may turn around at least for some of them....

You don't think Cowser, O'Hearn and Westburg can hit?  Tough crowd.  Even Mateo is having a good year at the plate.  

But yeah veterans like Mullins, Santander, McCann and Urias have been really struggling.  

Still, I'm most concerned about the bullpen and all the injuries to pitchers.

The lack of strikeout guys in the back end.  I feel we have 5-6 guys with the same basic ability.  There good but not great you need a few innings eaters, 1-2 bridge guys and 2-3 shutdown guys along with a closer.  We have the innings eaters as long as they don’t have to go in rotation, we have a bunch of bridge guys and a guy or 2 that can be shutdown guys here and there but not full season types.  I think Closer is my least worry, Kimbrel had a bad stretch but he does that every year and is solid most the season besides that and I expect the same this year.  

I’m worried about the plate approach the organization seems to pushing. I feel like part of the reason Jackson Holliday has struggled so much this year is because of the front office’s hyper focus on home runs and aggressive hitting. I feel as if the team needs to focus more on contact hitting and being more consistent.