O's Acquire Thyago Vieira

15 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

I was on the road all day and figured Vieira would be assigned to Norfolk first and not directly be put in the bullpen.

He has no options, which is why they traded for him, he was DFA'd and likely wouldn't have made it to the O's. You can't option him.

4 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Don’t know what’s going on with the relievers, but there’s plenty of pitching talent in Aberdeen IMO.  Portes, Chance, De Leon and Baumeister, among others, are all legit prospects IMO.  The team has a 3.58 ERA, 3rd in the Sally League, while having the youngest staff in the league.  

Oh, I really like their starters too.  I'll add Zach Fruit to the list.  I just wish they had bullpen depth that could get guys out consistently.

1 minute ago, Frobby said:

Don’t know what’s going on with the relievers, but there’s plenty of pitching talent in Aberdeen IMO.  Portes, Chance, De Leon and Baumeister, among others, are all legit prospects IMO.  The team has a 3.58 ERA, 3rd in the Sally League, while having the youngest staff in the league.  

I would agree.   For some reason Elias bro.....as good as he is....has a giant mind block when it comes to promoting your own players.  

From A to AA to AAA, it almost seems as if he would rather play vets who have struggled for years on other teams rather than players who have performed for the Os in the farm system for many year as well.  It is very strange.

Stowers and Heston and Mayo as well.  It is very strange.   It is almost as if he hates the young guns.

Yet if you look at sports like the NFL, hockey, the PGA tour, the NBA, and even the PBA tour, it is all about the young guns.

Athletes these days are much more athletic and ready to contribute compared to 30 or even 20 years ago.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, OnlyOneOriole said:

I would agree.   For some reason Elias bro.....as good as he is....has a giant mind block when it comes to promoting your own players.  

From A to AA to AAA, it almost seems as if he would rather play vets who have struggled for years on other teams rather than players who have performed for the Os in the farm system for many year as well.  It is very strange.

Stowers and Heston and Mayo as well.  It is very strange.   It is almost as if he hates the young guns.

Yet if you look at sports like the NFL, hockey, the PGA tour, the NBA, and even the PBA tour, it is all about the young guns.

Athletes these days are much more athletic and ready to contribute compared to 30 or even 20 years ago.

First of all Stowers is in the majors. Perhaps you missed his 3 hit 4 RBI game. The reason that Heston and Mayo aren’t in the majors is because other young players are instead.   IE Cowser and Gunnar and Westburg and Stowers et al.  There are only so many roster spots  

Mayo needs work on the defensive side.  Kjerstad is straight up blocked  

This narrative that ME simply doesn’t want to play the prospects he worked so hard to accumulate is just so tired and lame. 

• Upvote 4

8 minutes ago, Fiver6565 said:

First of all Stowers is in the majors. Perhaps you missed his 3 hit 4 RBI game. The reason that Heston and Mayo aren’t in the majors is because other young players are instead.   IE Cowser and Gunnar and Westburg and Stowers et al.  There are only so many roster spots  

Mayo needs work on the defensive side.  Kjerstad is straight up blocked  

This narrative that ME simply doesn’t want to play the prospects he worked so hard to accumulate is just so tired and lame. 

Stowers has barely played on this team the past 2 years.  Heston as well.

Mayo never. 

Elias is like Chris Ballard with the Colts.  He loves his 'old vet' guys. 

• Downvote 1

When I first read this trade, I thought we gave up the additional prospect.

Seeing that I misread that, I think the Os just bought a prospect from the Brewers and decided to see the arm on the ML roster.

This trade wasn’t about Vieria imo.

• Upvote 3

20 minutes ago, OnlyOneOriole said:

I don’t know what it is about baseball, but it seems to require more experience and training than the other major sports.  Maybe it’s just more of a thinking man’s sport?   Physical peak is a smaller factor in baseball compared to the other sports.  

1 minute ago, Frobby said:

I don’t know what it is about baseball, but it seems to require more experience and training than the other major sports.  Maybe it’s just more of a thinking man’s sport?   Physical peak is a smaller factor in baseball compared to the other sports.  

Come on, bro!

The question is:

Would you rather Baumann or

Thyago on the roster, Rodriguez in the minors, and a future potential backup C in Blake Hunt?

I’d rather Baumann than the terrible train of relievers currently hogging up that spot, and I’m higher on Baumann than even some folks still in the pen (Akin, Thyago), but I don’t fault Elias. The upside is intriguing. But I don’t think Thyago should be on this roster. Call up McDermott instead.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Malike said:

He has no options, which is why they traded for him, he was DFA'd and likely wouldn't have made it to the O's. You can't option him.

Can he go to the minors if he agrees? Or does MLB says the O's can't send even if he is willing to go?

3 hours ago, LookitsPuck said:

The question is:

Would you rather Baumann or

Thyago on the roster, Rodriguez in the minors, and a future potential backup C in Blake Hunt?

I’d rather Baumann than the terrible train of relievers currently hogging up that spot, and I’m higher on Baumann than even some folks still in the pen (Akin, Thyago), but I don’t fault Elias. The upside is intriguing. But I don’t think Thyago should be on this roster. Call up McDermott instead.

Of course you know that was not the Orioles choice. The Orioles had to make a move when Bradish came off and it was either send Akin down of DFA another pitcher, and Baumann was the most likely to go based off his inconsistencies. 

Of course anyone would prefer to have Baumann over Vieira, but unfortunately, the roster crunch at the time dictated a move.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Of course you know that was not the Orioles choice. The Orioles had to make a move when Bradish came off and it was either send Akin down of DFA another pitcher, and Baumann was the most likely to go based off his inconsistencies. 

Of course anyone would prefer to have Baumann over Vieira, but unfortunately, the roster crunch at the time dictated a move.

They could have bought some time by placing Kremer on IL for the blister he had been dealing with.

3 hours ago, Frobby said:

There’s a reason why Deion Sanders said the hardest thing in all of sports to do is hit a baseball: