O's Acquire Thyago Vieira

2 minutes ago, Phil Beckett said:

Did you read the purpose of this thread? Did you see the two players they are talking about?🤣

cheap 

Spending money on relievers generally doesn’t work out well.

Now, they have a reason they went after this guy.  Who knows what that is. maybe he fails.  He likely will.  But if they see something they like and they can get him for a minimal price, why not do that?  Why is that wrong?

7 minutes ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

who is they?  The Angelos family is no longer here and they/John were the ones making financial decisions in the offseason.  Rubenstein took over around opening day.  There were no free agents of consequence to sign.  I would rather that Rubenstein talk to Elias and let him know that he supports Elias' vision of building championship baseball in Baltimore than try to force the signing of every big free agent  We can see how well that worked for the Mets/Cohen.  If payroll is not increased this offseason and extensions are not signed this offseason, that will be the time to complain and rant.  If you are still here and posting there will be plenty of that here on the Hangout, right or wrong.

if I’m wrong, no big deal. What if you’re wrong?🤣

here is a reminder.

I can’t think of any place better to start talking about how the oriole seem to be cheap all the time. Always cheap decisions. And this is with the new billionaire guy. So far he’s been cheap as well.

Until he’s not cheap, I will call him cheap when he does cheap things.

You know Rubenstein has absolutely zero to do with this move, right?

1 minute ago, Phil Beckett said:

here is a reminder.

I can’t think of any place better to start talking about how the oriole seem to be cheap all the time. Always cheap decisions. And this is with the new guy. So far he’s been cheap as well.

Until he’s not cheap, I will call him cheap when he does cheap things.

Even the Dodgers and Yankees are trying to pick up good players on the "cheap".  Teams routinely pick up players from others teams via trade or waiver claim and try to get something out of them the previous team couldn't.  I wouldn't call it cheap, it's just smart. 

1 minute ago, Sports Guy said:

Spending money on relievers generally doesn’t work out well.

Now, they have a reason they went after this guy.  Who knows what that is. maybe he fails.  He likely will.  But if they see something they like and they can get him for a minimal price, why not do that?  Why is that wrong?

It seems like a move that a cheap team would make as compared to the Yankees. The Yankees are ahead of us. And the last 20-30 years, the Yankees have blown us away. Why do we have to be the opposite of the Yankees?

And we used to compete financially with them and you know it. Why is our payroll low?

No one can really answer it.

lift off! 🤣remember that? 

Our payroll used to be way higher and we used to compete with free agents with the Yankees. They are ahead of us in the standings too. Did you notice? Of course we won 101 and games last year so let’s just ride on those laurels. 

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

You know Rubenstein has absolutely zero to do with this move, right?

So it’s not a cheap move then?

yes

it is 

besides, a standings are based on wins and losses, not whether the owners are cheap. Or not 

I’m calling this team cheap. They could probably do better if they spent more money. Of course, unless they do it stupidly. But if they do that, they deserve to lose as well. 

hope our latest billionaire owner ends up liking the fans a little bit more than the Angelos did. The Angelo’s  have really soured me on baseball ownership anyway. It should be owned by the fans.

I started following baseball in 1967 and the Orioles had the best owners in the both leagues. They were well respected. No one ever had to call them cheap or anything.

I like those standards

Edited by Phil Beckett

3 minutes ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

Even the Dodgers and Yankees are trying to pick up good players on the "cheap".  Teams routinely pick up players from others teams via trade or waiver claim and try to get something out of them the previous team couldn't.  I wouldn't call it cheap, it's just smart. 

The mfy’s do a lot of different things 

they get Soto’s

they win world series’s. 

if the orioles prove to me they are not cheap

I will profusely apologize to everyone

It seems like a move that a cheap team would make as compared to the Yankees. The Yankees are ahead of us. And the last 20-30 years, the Yankees have blown us away. Why do we have to be the opposite of the Yankees?

And we used to compete financially with them and you know it. Why is our payroll low?

Our payroll used to be way higher and we used to compete with free agents with the Yankees. They are ahead of us in the standings too. Did you notice? Of course we won 101 and games last year so let’s just ride on those laurels. 

Our payroll is low because we have a lot of players on the team who are at the point in their service time where they are making the league minimum.

The Os are getting MVp level production out of Gunnar for 750k. Thats how the salary and payroll work in MLB.

This is what I’m talking about in terms of educating yourself.

And the Yankees have multiple high end contributors making no money.  Their second best reliever this year is Luke Weaver. If Luke Weaver was available in the offseason and the Os added him, you would cry about it.  You don’t even know who he is and he’s dominating right now.  And he’s only making $2M.

I think you're grousing about a DFA/waiver move made in May, when the real moves to improve a team aren't executed until July. 

And for cripes sake, give the new owner a chance. He's owned the team for weeks. How quickly can one reasonably expect a seismic change to take place in extending key player contracts?

5 minutes ago, Phil Beckett said:

The mfy’s do a lot of different things 

they get Soto’s

they win world series’s. 

if the orioles prove to me they are not cheap

I will profusely apologize to everyone

So what Soto deal is possible right now, in May 2024, for the prospects we have in our system?

4 minutes ago, Jagwar said:

I think you're grousing about a DFA/waiver move made in May, when the real moves to improve a team aren't executed until July. 

And for cripes sake, give the new owner a chance. He's owned the team for weeks. How quickly can one reasonably expect a seismic change to take place in extending key player contracts?

I don’t like giving billionaires any chances. Personally, I’m sick of baseball owners. Don’t forget they’re the same rich people that kept black players out of the league. Billionaires are never your friend.

I feel like a peon with these rich guys, deciding my happiness or not. John Angelos was horrible and ruined the franchise for a long time. Another greedy billionaire who was cheap. Why do you think I’m sensitive to the whole idea.

And again if I’m wrong, no big deal. If you’re wrong. 🤷🏼‍♂️

I believe teams should be owned by the fans 

4 minutes ago, Jagwar said:

So what Soto deal is possible right now, in May 2024, for the prospects we have in our system?

Why does it have to be right now? We’ve been cheap for 30 years. Why didn’t we sign Soto last year when he was available? Why didn’t we compete with the Yankees like we used to?

Can you imagine how badass our lineup or be right now if we had Soto in the middle of it. And how much would the young players learn from having a season veteran like that? 

do you think it’s just a coincidence of the Yankees or ahead of us right now?

Just now, Phil Beckett said:

Why does it have to be right now? We’ve been cheap for 30 years. Why didn’t we sign Soto last year when he was available? Why didn’t we compete with the Yankees like we used to?

Can you imagine how badass our lineup or be right now if we had Soto in the middle of it. And how much would the young players learn from having a season veteran like that? 

do you think it’s just a coincidence of the Yankees or ahead of us right now?

And there’s other guys besides Soto. And I watch other teams getting high priced players all the time..

So that takes us right back to

Why is the Orioles payroll so low?

If you have a good explanation, why the Orioles went from one of the biggest spenders in the league to the lowest spenders in the league then I’ll buy a bridge from London from you.

no one has an explanation of why we have one of the leagues lowest payrolls. So if there’s no logical explanation, I can only surmise it because we are cheap.

I don’t like giving billionaires any chances. Personally, I’m sick of baseball owners. Don’t forget they’re the same rich people that kept black players out of the league. Billionaires are never your friend.

I feel like a peon with these rich guys, deciding my happiness or not. John Angelos was horrible and ruined the franchise for a long time. Another greedy billionaire who was cheap. Why do you think I’m sensitive to the whole idea.

And again if I’m wrong, no big deal. If you’re wrong. 🤷🏼‍♂️

I believe teams should be owned by the fans 

Just to be clear for my own take. The Angelos family was awesome in the mid 80s. They spent significant dollars to bring in top free agents.  Then they were suddenly un-awesome. And then they were a drag for almost 3 decades. They were the worst owners in the league for sure. But Rubenstein seems to be the anti-Angelos. I'm going to give him a chance to prove just that, and would suggest you do the same.